Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-14-2021, 10:48 PM

Default How’s the rut in your area?

About a week or 10 days ago an absolute beauty of a Mule buck chased a doe across the road right in front of me making a pretty close call. Seemed odd and early to me as it was still like 30C at the time.

But I guess the calendar says differently.

This was in SW Saskatchewan.

Are you guys seeing much activity yet?
Old 10-15-2021, 04:51 AM

Whitetail in my are have started a little rubbing and scraping but I would not say they are really in the rut. There is always some deer that start early but it’s not time to get excited yet
Old 10-15-2021, 05:43 AM

Deer "rut" Same time every year.
Old 10-15-2021, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksnbears View Post
It also runs longer then most think but at a lower level and timing varies depending on location too
Old 10-15-2021, 06:48 AM

The elk are done
The moose almost done
The deer are starting to get that little love twinkle in their eye and things are starting to swell a little

It's a great time of year unless you drive a lot at night you really have to pay attention

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 10-15-2021, 07:45 AM
Banned

saw 4 muley bucks in the yard a couple days ago. they still seemed to be friends.
Old 10-15-2021, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksnbears View Post
Yup about a month from now
Old 10-15-2021, 08:12 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

so many variables play into the so called rut but I tell ya the boys are rubbing and scrapping around here...just warming up for go time....many a so called expert have attempted to hone in on exacts all I know is if your butt aint out there well ya might miss out

luv walking looking for chickens, exploring new turf, tag in my pocket, slug in the shotty....just in case I poke around a area with a whitey thinking he is hiding...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-15-2021, 12:22 PM

I think many confuse pre-rut and post-rut activity as the "rut" or breeding of the girls. Photoperiod, the amount of daylight each day, triggers the ladies to come into estrus, the does dictate rutting activity. Breeding lasts only a short period, days actually and those does not bred come back into estrus about 28 - 30 days later.
Old 10-15-2021, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
The elk are done
The moose almost done
The deer are starting to get that little love twinkle in their eye and things are starting to swell a little

It's a great time of year unless you drive a lot at night you really have to pay attention

Noooo, still goin, some go a 3rd estrus cycle late as first week in November.

Creeky....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 10-15-2021, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeky View Post
Noooo, still goin, some go a 3rd estrus cycle late as first week in November.

Creeky....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The vast majority of elk are done. Besides the one who didn't get bred or catch. And the ones who aren't pregnant have ended their estrus cycle.

Is that better?
Old 10-15-2021, 03:09 PM

Just because some buck was running around with a doe, the rut is on.

Hormones in some bucks are rampant as soon as they sprout antlers, it doesn’t mean the doe is even remotely close to being in estrus.

The does drive the when, the herd dynamics, geography, and food sources will drive the visibility, intensity, and the rest of the “hunters rut”

Not even close here.

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 10-15-2021 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-15-2021, 03:55 PM

Heck it’s like spring where I’m at, I think the does are still having fawns. Seriously no sign yet here on the farm about 2 hours NW of Edmonton.
Old 10-15-2021, 04:03 PM

Default elk

I spent Sept in the bush in an area that holds elk and has for entire life, im 41. Strange year or im loosing my skills...I think that things were late and elk hunting right now is probably better then any time in Sept.
Old 10-15-2021, 05:21 PM

I'm covered up with Mulies where I am. I have studied, observed and photographed these deer for over 20 years. I even managed to harvest a few over the years..

One of the most intense ruts can be third week in Oct. The odd doe can come into estrus and they can suck in every buck from miles away. I have seen over 20 bucks chasing a single doe!

I think we all can agree most does come into estrus in Nov and the ones that do not get bred or do not conceive in Nov, can come into heat again in Dec. This can also includes first year does.

I have even seen the odd doe come into estrus in Jan! This is in the Calgary bow zone.
Old 10-15-2021, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Just because some buck was running around with a doe, the rut is on.

Hormones in some bucks are rampant as soon as they sprout antlers, it doesn’t mean the doe is even remotely close to being in estrus.

The does drive the when, the herd dynamics, geography, and food sources will drive the visibility, intensity, and the rest of the “hunters rut”

Not even close here.
I say things will start getting good after the first week of November and start really kicking after the second

Curious if you’re thoughts match mine
Old 10-15-2021, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith88 View Post
The vast majority of elk are done. Besides the one who didn't get bred or catch. And the ones who aren't pregnant have ended their estrus cycle.

Is that better?
Nope.

Not referencing to the peak of the autumnal equinox where the majority of breeding occurs.

Cows come into estrus at different times, ones that don’t catch the first time often have a second estrus period in the first 3 weeks of October. A 3rd estrus phase has been known to occur into November.

Creeky....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 10-15-2021, 09:44 PM

Pre rut, foreplay, or whatever you want to call it should be starting to kick off any time now. Good time to sneak around and get some cameras on scrapes if hunting the rut in november. Have had a few out for over a month that need to get checked and perhaps moved, but this is the time of year into early november that is the most "to the point" as far as looking for bucks imho.
Old 10-16-2021, 10:05 AM

Default Hows the Rut

The Bull Elk and Bull moose have really been enjoying the rut so far, real smiles on their faces. Buck Deer are just having wishful thinking so far, much like young bucks on Saturday night. Not sure if cow elk/moose are as happy, or just saying thank god it is over.
Old 10-16-2021, 12:05 PM

Nov 15th and on has always been the best WT hunting i have experienced.
An amazingly smart , stealthy animal is now lettin his little head do the thinking for his big head.
Old 10-27-2021, 10:54 AM

Have you guys started rattling and grunting yet? im going out this weekend and debating if I should do so, I have had unreal luck towards November 15th as others have suggested, wondering what you guys think. BTW this is not another "rut is on or not" just what you guys have been doing recently, thanks!
Old 10-27-2021, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragor764 View Post
Have you guys started rattling and grunting yet? im going out this weekend and debating if I should do so, I have had unreal luck towards November 15th as others have suggested, wondering what you guys think. BTW this is not another "rut is on or not" just what you guys have been doing recently, thanks!
No, since I can’t pull a bow anymore, and deer doesn't open for rifle where I hunt till November 1.

Peak whitetail estrus is plus or minus a day or two from November 17th in central Alberta.

There are no absolutes
Old 10-27-2021, 01:00 PM

Default Agree

Called in a bull opening day Oct. 25 in south foothills zone and shot
Nov. 17 called a bull from 1 mile inside suffield fence out of block with 2 cow decoys passed but could have shot, not what I wanted
FH

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeky View Post
Nope.

Not referencing to the peak of the autumnal equinox where the majority of breeding occurs.

Cows come into estrus at different times, ones that don’t catch the first time often have a second estrus period in the first 3 weeks of October. A 3rd estrus phase has been known to occur into November.

Creeky....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 10-27-2021, 01:10 PM

Default Hows the rut in your area

I took these muley pics this morning near Canmore; smaller 2 pt testing out a 4 pt and 2 spikers testing each other. Pre-rut behaviour so I'd say they are a few weeks from the "chase" stage, which usually means the WTs are even further away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1003.jpg (31.5 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1019.jpg (44.7 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1016.jpg (40.2 KB, 67 views)
Old 10-27-2021, 01:11 PM

sorry i was asking specifically for whitetail, thanks.
Old 10-27-2021, 04:12 PM

Quote:
I've grunted in smaller WT bucks from Thanksgiving weekend on. I usually don't try rattling until early November.

Checking a couple cams on the way home last night I saw a dozen WT does in multiple groups that were out feeding with no bucks close by.

As mentioned, I find November 15th and on being the best time to catch a larger WT buck out cruising at all times of the day.....
Old 10-27-2021, 04:25 PM

Quote:
I have not started deer hunting yet but often hunt late October

Calling works late October but you don’t want to be aggressive like you would mid November. Don’t smash your antlers together like it’s a brawl think more like sparing. Never been a fan of grunt calls. I save that for when a buck hangs up and other options fail. I have had some bucks blow out from grunt calls

Yes it can work but not like mid November
Old 10-27-2021, 05:13 PM

Default Phases

I think the rut needs to be separated into phases and right now from what I have seen in the field is Pre Rut activity and possibly into the Seeking Phase, maybe not everywhere but where I go, it is.

I saw two smaller buck sparring two weeks ago with doe's in the same field. Were they boned up and ready to go? No, just messing around and had nothing to do with the doe's other than sharing a place to eat. Lager mature buck that we seen and were common a month ago are now rarely seen and almost nocturnal based on camera evidence obtained.

In my experience, my favorite time to hunt Whitetails is the third and last week of November when most of the does have been bred and the dominant and smaller bucks vacate the Tending Phase and start looking for any remaining does that have not been given a healthy shot of baby batter. For me, this is when I see bucks all day, usually on the run with their nose to the ground looking for the fragrant aroma of a doe that is still ready to go.

I think we have a way to go yet before it gets crazy. Good luck everyone!
Old 10-27-2021, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash8 View Post
I think the rut needs to be separated into phases and right now from what I have seen in the field is Pre Rut activity and possibly into the Seeking Phase, maybe not everywhere but where I go, it is.

I saw two smaller buck sparring two weeks ago with doe's in the same field. Were they boned up and ready to go? No, just messing around and had nothing to do with the doe's other than sharing a place to eat. Lager mature buck that we seen and were common a month ago are now rarely seen and almost nocturnal based on camera evidence obtained.

In my experience, my favorite time to hunt Whitetails is the third and last week of November when most of the does have been bred and the dominant and smaller bucks vacate the Tending Phase and start looking for any remaining does that have not been given a healthy shot of baby batter. For me, this is when I see bucks all day, usually on the run with their nose to the ground looking for the fragrant aroma of a doe that is still ready to go.

I think we have a way to go yet before it gets crazy. Good luck everyone!
Yup different phases for sure and depending on the way you hunt you will prefer different phases

Pre rut has definitely started I have bucks sparing on cam and new bucks have appeared into doe heavy areas.

Personally I like the middle 2 weeks because the bucks I have scouted are getting dumb but tending the does in the area. I actually hate the 3 week because the bucks I have scouted scatter and I am relying on random bucks
Old 10-27-2021, 05:43 PM

Lots of rubs and more and more scrapes each time we go check cameras. Bucks are travelling by themselves. Seems a bit early to me. But I recall in the past and checking our records, they did run a bit earlier in warmer years.