Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-17-2021, 09:39 PM

Default Stupid people carrying rifles through the bush

How many of you had someone glass them with a rifle scope? I’ve read some threads on here about this.

This weekend was my very first outing ever with tags in hand for whitetail. Very first morning and I walk into the bush to sit alongside the Wildhay River in 344. These two idiots come around the bend and I wave my arms so they can see me. Well, they don’t see me and get to 50 yards and the lead guy stops when he sees me and raised his rifle to glass me. Figures out it’s not an animal and aims his rifle away from me and waves before the two high tail themselves out of there. When I calmed myself down, I decided to head back to camp and get a picture of their licence plate but I’m too late… they see me walking towards them in their truck and speed away.

So if anyone knows two guys that were camped on the Jack Wright road in WMU 344 at the bridge over the Wildhay River this past weekend, please give them a kick in the nuts for me! And if any of you decide to use your scope instead of binoculars… I hope you come back to your vehicle and see 4 flat tires, a small hole in your oil pan and my name written in urine on the side of your vehicle.

These two guys were each driving GM quad cab trucks hauling quads and one truck had a small bumper pull old camper behind. Both trucks were different shades of blue.

Daryl
Old 10-17-2021, 09:41 PM

Sad this still happens in this day and age.
Old 10-17-2021, 09:55 PM

This could easily turn into "person gets shot by careless hunter" situation.

Very scary.
Old 10-17-2021, 10:03 PM

My binoculars are twice the power of my scope for a reason. Plenty of places have reasonable prices on 8X binoculars that fit conveniently to a belt holder.
Old 10-17-2021, 10:20 PM

Default Scary..

This happened to me in 324 where my family has had a cabin for 60 yrs..took my 5 yr old to an abandoned lease where I have shot a few deer over the yrs.went to a spot I hunt an there is a truck parked.walk in and set up a ground blind at the 3-way an waited.hr into it a see a guy walk down the road.it’s crown so whatever…I wave hard out the window an he raises his rifle an looks at me through the scope…I felt hot an sick like I can’t even describe…anger hit me very hard..my child is beside me..for a solid 8-10 seconds he looks..I waved every hard an still stared through the scope..he let down an walked the other direction..I was now full of rage an concern.I packed us up and we walked back to the truck..His truck was still there an he was no place in sight.It took everything I had not to break all his windows I was so F’n mad…I left him a real nice note to go buy some Binoculars…still sends chills as I type this..my 5 yr old didn’t have a clue this happened.
Old 10-17-2021, 10:55 PM

Stupid gonna stupid, unfortunately.

I don’t meet many hunters walking where I hunt, but quite a few driving at some of the places. My rule is to actually make sure no one sees me, if I can help it, when I see them coming, regardless if they are on foot or driving.
Old 10-17-2021, 11:37 PM

This has happened to me on many an occasion. And everytime it discourages me from even wanting to hunt rifle season. One of the main reasons I spend 2 months in bow season where I hunt. I don't own a scoped rifle, but I'm not against them either. But for God's sake...carry a set of binos and use some common sense before aiming your firearm. Sure makes me uneasy bringing 2 young boys to hunt public land as well and one of the reasons they wear orange. This year I'm exclusively hunting private land and it's a nice change of pace to not have all the gunslingers shooting at me from the road in a truck.
Old 10-17-2021, 11:48 PM

^ Interestingly, I feel less safe hunting a field in the evening because there is no cover when crossing and I usually leave after it is dark (or while it still light if I am not hunting). I also turn on the flashlight on the phone if I don’t have an actual light with me when some “suspicious” activity takes place prior. I often see trucks passing by slowly, stopping and looking at deer, elk especially; the same trucks coming back again and again. I also know for a fact that there was deer shot there after hours on more than one occasion.
Old 10-18-2021, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
^ Interestingly, I feel less safe hunting a field in the evening because there is no cover when crossing and I usually leave after it is dark (or while it still light if I am not hunting). I also turn on the flashlight on the phone if I don’t have an actual light with me when some “suspicious” activity takes place prior. I often see trucks passing by slowly, stopping and looking at deer, elk especially; the same trucks coming back again and again. I also know for a fact that there was deer shot there after hours on more than one occasion.
I have hunted farmland most of my life and it's bizarre how people just drive up and down range roads looking to shoot a deer on property they most likely have no permission on. Sure, that might work up on northern alberta lease roads with crown land. But the audacity people have doing it on private land is astounding. Like I said above. Archery season,it's a little slice of heaven where the trigger happy fiends aren't there to ruin the hunt.
Old 10-18-2021, 05:01 AM

It has not happened to me in a very long time but I avoid bringing attention to myself if I see another hunter. When walking out of the bush I actually hide or stay back in the bush if I see/hear a truck coming. I don’t see hunters walking very often in my areas either

What is really sad is the amount of stories posted about being scoped and the person takes off when they realize it’s a person. This show most realize they have done something wrong yet they are stupid enough to do it
Old 10-18-2021, 05:28 AM

If you guys can get a plate number or other ID, call the RCMP and report them for dangerous use of a firearm. Pointing a rifle, particularly a loaded one, at a human being is illegal. If you keep allowing this to happen and there are no repercussions the idiots will never learn.
Old 10-18-2021, 06:49 AM

My two hunting partners and I were sitting in separate locations along a creek in 359 about 15 years ago, when a jeep comes down a long narrow trail on the other side and parks by the creek. The guy gets out, raises his rifle, scopes each of my hunting partners with their orange caps, but doesn't see me , because I have no orange on. We were too far from our vehicle, to make it to the truck and drive around to beat him out of the trail, or he would have had a few trees to remove to get out.
Old 10-18-2021, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
It has not happened to me in a very long time but I avoid bringing attention to myself if I see another hunter. When walking out of the bush I actually hide or stay back in the bush if I see/hear a truck coming. I don’t see hunters walking very often in my areas either
That's the same for me as well. I do my best to stay concealed. Been scoped a few times, and I agree it's unnerving and downright frightening.

Started to wear camo partly for that reason.

Wearing orange seems to act as an invitation for getting scoped.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:33 AM

Ive started marking the entrance to land with an AHEIA red flag that says "Hunters in Area"

If someone shot one of my boys, there would be no trial....except mine
Old 10-18-2021, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post

What is really sad is the amount of stories posted about being scoped and the person takes off when they realize it’s a person. This show most realize they have done something wrong yet they are stupid enough to do it
I probably work harder trying to hide from other hunters/quads than I do to conceal myself from game. I still get nervous when I run into to someone in crown land, its incredible how poor of eyesight people have or how their brain tricks them when they get buck fever.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Ive started marking the entrance to land with an AHEIA red flag that says "Hunters in Area"

If someone shot one of my boys, there would be no trial....except mine
I thought about doing that, that's a great idea! to my knowledge i havent been scoped but i have had a few quads drive to 20 yards of my ground blind and after loudly argue over if they should turn around or not...
This year I am going to add a few orange stripes to my blind as stories like yours seem a bit too common unfortunately and I always have a weary feeling sitting in there sometimes...
Old 10-18-2021, 10:47 AM

I never wear camo anymore. Bright color of some kind. Solid blue or whatever I can find to make me look human. I think Sask has it right. If wind is good and you are not moving animals do not care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragor764 View Post
I thought about doing that, that's a great idea! to my knowledge i havent been scoped but i have had a few quads drive to 20 yards of my ground blind and after loudly argue over if they should turn around or not...
This year I am going to add a few orange stripes to my blind as stories like yours seem a bit too common unfortunately and I always have a weary feeling sitting in there sometimes...
To be honest I wouldn’t put any orange on and hope they don’t see you, drawing any attention makes people look and often times use some form of glass to see what it is. I just don’t have much faith in some guys, been looked at through a scope a few times and now I simply try and avoid being seen. Only time I wear much for orange is if I’m part of a deer drive.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:55 AM

The problem is the idiot mentality, that it's okay to use a riflescope to glass with, and that if someone gets shot and isn't wearing orange it's their fault. With some idiots thinking like that, there are going to be incidents. Personally, I prefer that those idiots don't see me at all.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerhunter View Post
I never wear camo anymore. Bright color of some kind. Solid blue or whatever I can find to make me look human. I think Sask has it right. If wind is good and you are not moving animals do not care.

Just as many guys get shot by accident in areas with orange requirements, wearing orange draws draws attention to yourself and somehow it seems eyes play tricks on some people.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:25 AM

Yup take great care to just not be seen until your within arms reach. If they need to use the scope at that distance a good solid punch to the mouth is the only answer needed. It's been proven that bright colors do nothing to protect you from stupid people.
Old 10-18-2021, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragor764 View Post
The boys tuck into little bluffs on the land so it seems like a good idea

Had a guy rip a shot down our line from the road last year. On our land. Guess our trucks parked at the approach didnt catch his eye. Not sure my little flags will help but for the amount of effort it takes, I figure why not
Old 10-18-2021, 12:35 PM

If I ever spot some POS using a scope on me at distance, I am quickly moving to the left/right a
few good feet in an attempt to get out of being a stationary target from an easy trigger pull, then
promptly letting 2 shots (in the air) ring out at my disgust so it's noticeable acknowledgement of said idiocy.
Old 10-18-2021, 12:56 PM

A number of years ago when blaze orange was a requirement I was scoped by a husband and wife team. I had full blaze orange jacket and hat. Sat down on a recently disturbed piece of land that was primarily black. The male then female both put their rifles up and looked squarely at me with their scopes. Both were yelled at and I had messy drawers to deal with. You also start shaking uncontrollably at the thought of how quickly it could have went the wrong way. Make sure people know where you are going because all my wife knew was I was south of a certain community and but not exactly where.
Old 10-18-2021, 02:17 PM

Default around and round we go

DAM IF YOU DO DAM IF YOU DON'T Wear camo hide so no one can see you that's on you personal choice. Wear orange be seen that's on you its a personal choice to each there own .

Quote:
Make sure people know where you are going
Great advice
Old 10-18-2021, 02:41 PM

Gotta say getting scoped is about the fastest way for me to loose my **** and get medieval on a person.

I bet the two individuals who last did it to me still cringe at the memory. And the last one who let his muzzle point my way has less than fond memory's of the bruise his rifle barrel left on his forehead.

Being shot is no fun even if as in my case it was an almost totally expended .22 bullet in the leg. 47 years later and I can still feel where it hit.
Old 10-18-2021, 07:23 PM

Thanks for all the replies everyone! It sure does suck, but I’m hoping if there is enough people talking about it, hopefully we can prevent an incident that changes lives.

Daryl
Old 10-18-2021, 07:35 PM

I stopped wearing hi viz like orange years ago because it seemed to attract idiots looking around with their scopes. Without it I can stop and sit still while they pass by without getting glassed.
Old 10-24-2021, 04:44 PM

I had this happen once years ago. My friend shot his buck on the bottom of a valley on private land that only we had permission on (family farm land). We were sitting next to the deer, taking a moment to rest. We look up at the top of the ridge and there is a guy staring down his barrel at us. We picked up our guns and pointed them right back and he got back in his SUV and peeled outta the field.
Definitely scary, and definitely frustrating to see someone like that hunting your land without permission.

I wish there were less of these stories. It seems like everyone has one.
Old 10-24-2021, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerhunter View Post

If they can’t see you they can’t scope you. I believe that you will be scoped if seen. Colour means nothing to those who use their rifle scope as an optic for viewing anything. It’s not always about being mistaken for an animal. They know it’s not an orange moose but they will scope you just to get a better visual.