Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-07-2019, 09:18 PM

Take $400 of your $1000 and put it towards a new pair of decent binos.......then with the leftover $600, buy your wife some nice flowers and take her out to her favorite restaurant......still should leave you with a couple hundred for beer and a season of hassle free hunting!!!!
Old 11-08-2019, 01:04 PM

I'd keep the money and practice sneaking up on animals instead. If you need 1000 dollar binos to make out what you are seeing you are too far away anyways.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-08-2019, 01:17 PM

Ummm ok then LOL
Old 11-08-2019, 01:48 PM

I really like my Vortex Razors 10x42s. I think for my eyes they were as good or better than the Zeiss, close to the Swaros and Leicas. I like the Leicas the best but for the very slight improvement they weren't worth a lot more money.

Do you glass a lot? Sheep hunt etc. Then try as many as you can and get the best that you can afford or even extend your budget a bit, your eyes will thank you. If you mostly hunt and use binos to scan occasionally, verify things, watch animals that you don't intend to shoot, buy a pair of Vipers or nice Nikons and save some cash. I personally would seriously consider taking Huntingstuff on his offer.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 11-08-2019, 01:54 PM

Yes I indeed do glass lots. I am probably gonna use them on a tripod rather than “one eye it” with the spotter. My eyes ain’t what they used to be, bifocal glasses full time now

Dunno how o missed huntinstuffs post on Swaro s, busy I guess
Old 11-08-2019, 03:29 PM

Not sure if you pulled the trigger yet, but it is worth considering the Maven B2's at that price range. My hunting partner has the Vortex Razor 10x42's and they are good too, but we both agree that mine are brighter and have a better image. I can't speak to the other glass in the category, but I can say the Maven's will be tough to beat.

If you can find a decent used pair of European glass (Zeiss, Swarro, Leica) in that price range that is likely going to be your best bet.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:08 PM

I would buy a pair of Nikon Prostaff 7's, yes you heard me correctly. I like them better than my monarch 7s, Leupolds, Steiners, Vortex and save the $700 to pay for your hunting season. Best of luck.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:56 PM

For another couple of hundred bucks you can buy Nikon Range finding binoculars. Worth every penny
Old 11-09-2019, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler_nation View Post
Not sure if you pulled the trigger yet, but it is worth considering the Maven B2's at that price range. My hunting partner has the Vortex Razor 10x42's and they are good too, but we both agree that mine are brighter and have a better image. I can't speak to the other glass in the category, but I can say the Maven's will be tough to beat.

If you can find a decent used pair of European glass (Zeiss, Swarro, Leica) in that price range that is likely going to be your best bet.
I did some snooping on the web. The Maven's are very highly rated.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-09-2019, 03:22 PM

You best bet is meopta.

They are an actual glass manufacturer, and having been Doing it for ever.

The Zeiss conquest? Yup mde by meopta with meopta glass. Nightforce? Yup that is also mady by meopta as well.

One of the best set of binos you can look through for for the money hands down is the meopta peopro 8x42. Well under your budget, and will stack up well against the top euro glass
Old 11-09-2019, 03:33 PM

Default Set of Vortex Viper HD 10x42 on AO currently !

The owner is pretty easy to deal with...

Good luck with your search...lots of good advice to work with.

G
Old 12-01-2019, 12:25 PM

have a pair of bushnell range finding binocs if interested. great condition
Old 12-01-2019, 12:34 PM

For a thousand bucks if I was you I would spend every penny on it on the best set of binoculars you can get for $1,000 nevermind the junk like Bushnell and all that other crap even pick up a used pair of lika or swarvoski if if you can.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2019, 12:35 PM

I've had my Zeiss for almost 30 years your eyes will thank you

Old 12-01-2019, 01:00 PM
Banned

I got a smoking deal on some Zeiss a couple years ago. I’m not wild on their scopes, just their reticles, but the glass is great.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:08 PM

Default Love Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1983 View Post
Picked up a vortex razor 10x42 hd the other day, in your ballpark try a look see what you think. i like them really bright glass.
I have a Vortex Razor 10x42 and they are stunning! I put them head to head with some swaro's and they hold there own.

I was in Cabelas and the guy at the optics counter covered them both with a cloth so i didnt know which were which and we went for a walk outside. Looked out accross the highway and man they were so close i honestly coouldnt tell which were which.

I bought them took them to the place I shoot. I was looking out past the 100 target (around 150 to 200 yards) and saw a gopher running and jumping. I focused the binos on it and saw that it was chasing a butterfly. It was amazing.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:15 PM

If you have 1000 to spend on binoculars, buy a 600 dollar pair for yourself, and a 400 dollar pair for me.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
I have a Vortex Razor 10x42 and they are stunning! I put them head to head with some swaro's and they hold there own.

I was in Cabelas and the guy at the optics counter covered them both with a cloth so i didnt know which were which and we went for a walk outside. Looked out accross the highway and man they were so close i honestly coouldnt tell which were which.

I bought them took them to the place I shoot. I was looking out past the 100 target (around 150 to 200 yards) and saw a gopher running and jumping. I focused the binos on it and saw that it was chasing a butterfly. It was amazing.
Vortex have only been around 10 or 15 years let me know in 30 years how you like them. They do have a lifetime warranty that's because you have to replace them where a good pair of German binoculars last you the rest of your life without replacing them.

Old 12-01-2019, 10:56 PM

I’ve got a set of Meopta Meostar HD 10x42 and I cant recommend them enough. They are awesome for the price. When I bought them two years ago I believe I payed around $950