Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-05-2007, 08:46 AM
Buck Hunter 32

Default deer feed that works

I hunt in tennessee and a freind told me to try this deer feed called Keep Em Cumin. So I did. The deer wouldnt leave it alone and the turkey like it to. I just wanted to let other hunters know about this stuff becouse there are so many things on the market that don't work. You can only get it at a feed store called Penin in Spring City TN. Some people I know had Penin ship them some to FL. so I know they ship it. Anyways the phone number is 423-365-4625.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:32 AM
Rob

Hey Buckhunter,

It's illegal to bait deer in Alberta.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:09 AM
varmitr

Default deer feed that works and we call it hay

there is hundreds of thousands of acres in alberta of alfalfa and clover with timithy mix already...
there is a 1000 acres of 'keep it coming' within 1 mile from the kitchen window and three 140-150 class wt with 30 does there everynite now.
that is no real big secret here.
ho hum
Old 01-05-2007, 12:05 PM
gunner 83

Default Re: deer feed that works and we call it hay

are you sure you didn't mean "a friend told me about HIS deer feed" instead of "a friend told me about THIS deer feed"???

ur post sounds like advertisement
Old 01-05-2007, 01:28 PM
lethalconnection

I seen this same exact post on anther site, its just spam,

Mod's i think you should get rid of this one.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:23 PM
nube

Nothing Ilegal about feeding deer as long as you don't shoot them. Feed lots are selling flavored deer lick blocks just off of highway 16 and the archery shop in spruce grove is selling mineral lick stuff there as well. No where in the regs does it say you can't bait them it says you can't hunt them over bait
Old 01-05-2007, 02:36 PM
7 REM MAG

good point there is nothing better than watching a bunch of big deer eating grain 20 yds from your bedroom winter in the middle of january.Then you know they are there.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:16 PM
Mike W

Nube, Question If one was to put a lick or feed for animals in a area and not hunt that location but hunt a location leading to that area .... is this considered baiting although you are not hunting over it?

Just a Thought
Mike
Old 01-05-2007, 05:14 PM
grandslamer1

just make sure its an area where cattle have access..
and what one of us hasnt shot a deer on or around a hay feild or a haybale itsnt that hunting over bait?come on if some one uses stuplicker or deercocain that wrong but using doe in heat scent is fine? that bs there is no difference youve just been brainwashed into thinking one is fine the other is bad
Old 01-05-2007, 05:36 PM
Feeding Deer and CWD

Default Feeding Deer and CWD

Now that we have 3 more cases of CWD in Alberta why would any responsible outdoorsman, who supposedly cares about deer, put out mineral or bait that would attract and congregate them. CWD is a very different disease (TSE) from the bovine version BSE. It is thought/theorized that saliva or urine is a very likely a source of transmission. Frankly, I'm getting a little peeved at sporting goods stores selling this crap in Alberta with the lame excuse that it is for photography purposes only. It's getting used for bait.:rolleyes . If anyone cares about deer, they aren't putting out bait. Sorry bout the rant.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:02 PM
Rob

Default Re: Feeding Deer and CWD

No need to appologize stretch... you hit the nail on the head!
Old 01-05-2007, 10:07 PM
Baiting?

Default Baiting?

I really don't think that putting out bait will draw deer in from all over the place. Only the deer who normally visit that area where it was put out will stay close to it, so it looks like a lot of deer are there. Deer don't travel long distances, only bucks will during the rut. And they will only travel 5 to 10 miles out of their normal home range and I believe they go back to it. Just like people above have said--why put stuff out when there is already thousands of acres of nutritious food already out there. How about a natural lick? Only those animals in that area will use it. You won't get animals coming from all over hell's half acre to get to it. I think there is misunderstanding because people really don't understand it. BL
Old 01-05-2007, 10:41 PM
nube

Default Re: Baiting?

Mike I would call hunting the trails going to the bait illegal to me anyways. If you put the food source there to purposely hunt over it I consider it illegal.
Bl is correct in how deer react over bait. The deer in a close proximity to the bait are the ones that use it. Deer move 5-10 miles a year depending on time of year but if you had a grain pile out you won't ven get all the deer within a mile of it to feed on it.
CWD is something to think about.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:54 AM
grandzillaa

Default Re: Feeding Deer and CWD

I second your thoughts stretch. Besides with 232,000-250,000 deer in Alberta why would we need to bait?
Old 01-06-2007, 02:42 PM
Lazy Ike

Default read before you post

Come on you guys! Baiting deer is one thing but if you can't pick out an adverpost by an industry rep you're the ones being baited.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:49 PM
TBark

Default Re: read before you post

Good one Ike, LOL,
so true.

TBark
Old 01-09-2007, 01:29 AM
grandzillaa

Default Re: read before you post

Hey lazy Lke even if what you say is true, this salesrep still needs to know that it is illegel in Alberta. Your only in trouble if you take the bait. If one takes the bait, and buys the stuff in order to bait deer then it is wrong.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:36 AM
Lazy Ike

Default baiting

Since he ignored the rules of this board re. advertising(if he is a sales rep not that there's anything wrong with that), I doubt he's that intrested in the rules of our province re. baiting.