Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-04-2007, 01:35 PM
Tennessee Bowhunter looking for Whitetail Hunt

Default Tennessee Bowhunter looking for Whitetail Hunt

Hi Folks,
I would like to hunt Whitetail Deer in your fine province.
I need to try to do this on a budget. Are there private Guides avalible (landowners) that will guide you without having to book with a pricey outfitter?
Does a landowner need to be a guide before he can let a U.S. hunter hunt on his land?
Old 03-04-2007, 02:45 PM
lilsundance

you will have to book with a licensed guide/ outfitter. A hunter host ( the old class c guide license) for Non resident Aliens is supposed to be a family member or family friend whom you have known for a period of at least two years. (if memory serves me correctly.) Also the paper work should be in now (hunter host) for this years hunt. I am not sure of the exact deadline but it is around the end of February first part of march. Hope this helps in your planning.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:57 PM
bruceba

www.srd.gov.ab.ca/fw/hunt...rhost.html
I applied last July for the fall season, it took several weeks for the paper work to get to the person in the US and him to get a notory to swear his signature and get the papers back to me. Within a day of dropping off the paperwork I was informed I could host him. I do stress the fact that it takes time to get paperwork back and forth so take that into concideration if anyone applies.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:07 AM
Jamie Hunt

LIL, I cant find that part about knowing the person for 2 years.

Jamie
Old 03-05-2007, 08:26 AM
lilsundance

Jaimie, that may have changed since the hunter host came in. I was going from memory.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:26 AM
Tucumseh

The 2006 Alberta Guide to Hunting Regulations states that, “A Hunter Host is an adult resident who is the holder of a valid Hunter Host Licence. A Hunter Host may not provide services for gain or reward, or accept a fee for services, directly or indirectly. A Hunter Host may host a maximum of two hunters/year, either Non-residents (Canadian), Non-resident Aliens or a combination thereof. If hosting Non-resident Aliens, at least one must be a relative. The Hunter Host may do so only if the host has not hosted a Non-resident Alien in the previous two fiscal years and must report (by December 31 in the year of harvest) all hunting activities by the Non-resident Aliens he or she hosted.”

I think Lil got it mixed up a bit but he was close.

I believe we will soon see the end of the hunter host license.

Check this article out:

Old 03-05-2007, 10:10 AM
oldplug

Thank you all for your responces. Looks like I need to find a good guide service.
Let me pose a couple more questions to you all.
What area of the province would you recomend for a quality hunt.
I have simple tastes, a warm bed, hot shower, decent food, and a good area to hunt in.
Any outfitters come to mind?

Tnks,
Oldplug

Hunt, Eat, Sleep, Repeat
Old 03-05-2007, 10:19 AM
Tucumseh

APOS
Old 03-05-2007, 10:20 AM
Dick284

Try this for more info
www.apos.ab.ca
They are the body that oversees outfitters and guides in alberta.
All parts of Alberta have good to terrific whitetail opportunities, but where you book will decide the style of hunt you can expect.
Get refrences, and lots of info before you decide.
Good luck.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:50 AM
nube

Make sure you get some good references. Most areas from Red deer and up will be good.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:55 PM
HuntingDan

Tuc,

I believe that there is a small but important omission in the article that you quoted. The on-line regulations state: "If hosting TWO Non-resident Aliens, at least one must be a relative" and I couldn't find anything that stated that it is a requirement that the other be a close friend. So if I read them correctly, if you only host one Non-resident Alien there is no requirement for him or her to be a relative (or even a friend for that matter – although I don’t know why else anyone would do it). The article that you quoted implies that the only way that you can host a non-relative Non-resident Alien is when you host two Non-resident Aliens and one of them is a relative. The way I read the regulations, this is incorrect.

Dan
Old 03-05-2007, 09:03 PM
Canmoron

It would be a real shame to see the Hunter Host program discontinued due to its abuse. I've been able to host a few friends from the maritimes that couldn't have afforded a guided hunt in Alberta, and they were very thankful that Alberta has this program in place.

Andrew