Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-03-2007, 10:43 PM
grandzillaa

Default What is your most memorable hunt.

My most memorable hunting season thus far is 2005 when I got to fill all 5 of my deer tags. As for a single hunt well that is hard to answer....one is in 2002 when I harvest a nice big body, nice spread Wt buck. It was only a 3x3, but it was a nice rack. There were two bucks coming up the hill side towards me and the 2nd buck was a much smaller 3x3, it saw me but the big guy didn't yet, but finally it saw me and stared at me for sometime like 5mins(or so it seemed ) with one eye as the other eye was swollen shut. The buck was under 15 yards from me(closer to 13) ....anyhow it became table meat.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:59 AM
Mackaylake

2004, when I watched my son shoot his first deer, a 4 point muley.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:39 PM
straitshooter

Watching my son call in a 5x5 elk,to make a 20 yrd shot,his first.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:00 PM
ex811

Default Most Memorable Hunt

Ten years ago when I watched my new WPG pup make a retrieve on her first greenhead...I think my 'saddest' memorable hunt's coming this year...hope her last retrieve is just as memorable.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:05 PM
lilsundance

I have two hunts that I treasure above the others. The most recent 2 years ago I watched my son get his first whitetail. The other was in 91. We had two new hunters in our group and my fathers first hunt in about 10 years. 6 days later the five of us came out of the bush with 5 moose. I watched my dad shoot his with his old 303 british with a peep sight at about 225 yds. in one ear and out the other. A month later he was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer. To this day first night in camp, we hoist a glass of rum in honour of him and my uncle who were hunting partners. May they both rest in peace.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:09 PM
bearbait

Default first bow kill

my first bow kill in 02 was a 54" bull moose thats the one hunt ill never forget!!40 yard shot and 2 steps was all it took....well 3 weeks of scoutin and 2 weeks of hunting him but the end result was worth it all!!!:hat
Old 03-04-2007, 03:32 PM
Jamie Hunt

Default Re: first bow kill

First deer with my Dad.
Never will forgett that.
I dont know who was more happy. I can still see him bounding down the hill in his Blue down coat. He looked like the Tire guy.

Jamie
Old 03-04-2007, 05:43 PM
Oct 17,2005

Default Oct 17,2005

Scouting Sept 25,2005 midday. found a large Whitetails core rub and scrape area. The area was located on the top of a very steep ridge, at the extreme south end of the ridge. 250 yards from a road. I had seen deer crossing the road in the morning, going back towards the ridge. I figured this spot to be an afternoon stand
Sept 26, 2005, made 2 mock scrapes 40 yards away from core area, and hung drip bag w/ buck urine, and left area
Oct 5, 2005 Freshened mock scrape, and left area.
Oct 10, 2005 replaced buck urine w/ doe urine, and left area.
Oct 17 2005, arrived w/ climbing stand at 3:00 pm, freshened scrape and climed tree.
Oct 17,2005 4:15 pm Buck arrived from west side of ridge headed for mock scrape. At 26 yards, I loosed an arrow into my largest Tennessee Buck, a 153 net B&C 11 point. He was taken with a crossbow.
A very fun Hunt,
Oldplug
Old 03-04-2007, 06:03 PM
Canmoron

Default the day the light bulb switched on

I had put months of work into training my German Longhair Pointer pup, but she was so excited on her first pheasant hunt that she busted over a dozen birds on opening morning.
We were pretty frustrated and patience was wearing thin.

When she finally settled down after lunch, she did a perfect point, was steady to flush, attentive to the shot, and did a non-nonsense retrieve. I was so proud of her I had tears in my eyes!

It was like a light-bulb switched on for her - she was a pheasant-machine for the rest of her life.

Andrew
Old 03-04-2007, 09:16 PM
bruceba

Default Re: the day the light bulb switched on

As posted by a couple of the others it was my three sons first and my daughters first. I took them out by themselfs for each of their firsts and each time was a special time.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:19 AM
Suka

Default family ties

Same as everyone, hunting with my son, when I was young, hunting with my Dad, especially all the firsts.
Pretty obvious those of us that hunt and own guns also have close knit family ties, and our kids aren't the one's out making trouble.
Wonder what the do-gooder's kid's are out doing, or if they even know???
Old 03-05-2007, 06:54 PM
Alberta Record Holder

Default Most memorable moment

When my son shot his first bull elk, You should have seen the smile on his face.
And then it happen again last year, another bull, the same smile.
The only problem is now he thinks he is a pro, I know he is a pro. The best hunter I've seen.
These were great moments that will last a lifetime.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:01 PM
razadp

Default Re: Most memorable moment

A few months ago (early June) I had a hunt in Australia. Wild water buffalo after a good classic stalk (spotted under a flock of birds a half mile away at edge of swamp, stalk in till he's up and suspicious, knows something is wrong and about to break for the trees.) He bunched up to run, I hit him in shoulder on first step. He went down, then tried to stand so I put another in the base of his neck.

I saw a bigger one from the truck a couple days earlier, but thats not a good hunt so I didn't shoot him.

i128.photobucket.com/albu...falo32.jpg
Old 03-06-2007, 11:55 AM
bobcatguy1

Default Re: Most memorable moment

Hmmm lets see would that be my first deer,maybe the float trip down that river out west, No,I think it was my sons first deer or maybe the first elk I called in. Each & every hunt has its own moments. The above are the ones that stand out the most & of the 4 only 2 had critters harvested at the end of the hunt.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:27 PM
Ray

This last Fall.

Only my second time out, and the first time for my son. We each got our first ever deer. (I got a doe and he got a 3 point buck).
Now I'm looking forward to many more years both with my oldest son and my youngest son when he turns 14.

Ray

My son with his first deer
Old 03-06-2007, 04:19 PM
varmitr

had a 208" nt net whitetail walk 8 yards from my stand, and i miss (2' high:rolleyes ) from shaking so bad, someone else plugged it with a gun later that fall and it appeared on Big Bucks Cover. <snif>
not all memerable one are 'good',
i learned that not all things have to die
Old 03-06-2007, 10:50 PM
ontario ellen

My most memorable hunt was when I was on my first hunt, it was in the Terrace Bay area of Ontario. I shot three grouse in a tree with "one" shot. One rouse was on upper branch, other in middle and one just below on other branch.

My first hunting trip . . . my husband doubted I could last 1 day. After third day of encountering wind, sleet, hail, and snow he mockingly said, " this ain't Hollywood you know, no glamour when you hunt." I perservered. Another two days and we had rain then freezing rain. It was first week of October, moose hunt, Rocky Island area along hyway 129 (Ontario). My husband was impressed by weeks end. I bathed in freezing cold river water, my head tingled when I shampooed my hair with said wter. We slept in the pick up and woke to soaked sleeping bag from condensation in the enclosed quarters. We dressed in a tent and cook and ate outside. That was back in 1986.