Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-25-2007, 04:01 PM
RyanGSP

Default Gophers

The gophers are out here in Taber. I got 3 today with the 22. I have only seen them in that area nothing out further. Cant wait for them all to come out.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:16 PM
jrs

Saw some by Lethbridge today too, wish i had time to take my 10-22 out. I bought it after gopher season last year and have only used it for rabbits a hun, and starlings. About the same time they first showed up last year, they'll go back to sleep if it gets cold again.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:16 PM
baretrax

they might be out up here south of GP, but its gonna take 'em three weeks to burrow up through all this snow..........:rollin
Old 02-26-2007, 12:56 AM
Thomas

Ryan,
Do you have any good gopher shoots in the Taber area?

Tk
Old 02-26-2007, 12:13 PM
RyanGSP

What do you mean? I have quite a few spots that hold large numbers of Gophers.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:45 PM
jrs

Default Gophers

Hey RyanGsp, Let me know if you have any unexploited fields with extra gophers. I got my new bow fine tuned last night and its itching for some gopher action. The one place i used to hunt them was poisoned last summer and theres not many left. Theres a ton of badgers down by stirling where we used to go as well, they're sure good at cleaning out the gopher colony. I'm sure i'll find more spots but if you know of any guys in the area needing a hand. Did you end up getting out for coyotes or getting a varmint rifle? I still haven't shot anything with my 223, i guesse that will work for gophers as well :lol
Old 02-26-2007, 06:11 PM
gophers

Default gophers

hey maybe you guys can help me. I see the reply about gophers south of GP and was wondering where some "general areas" would be. I live north of GP and don't want to have to drive way down south whenever I am after gophers.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:57 PM
shotgun

Default Re: gophers

JRS call up the BAR K2 ranch. They typically do not allow hunters but they do let guys shoot gophers from time to time. Lots of land and lots of gophers. We have gone down there and shot over a thousand in a single day. It is South East of Cardston.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:48 PM
jrs

Default Re: gophers

Thanks for the tip. I may have to go check it out down there. I even have the landowner map somewhere.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:55 PM
arch1965

Default Gopher shoot

Hi, the South Devon Cattle Association is having a fundraiser for their World Congress in Canada 2008. It's the mother of all gopher shoots on ranches around Rockglen Saskatchewan. I was down there a couple years ago for the annual general meeting, and I'm telling you their is no shortage of gophers. The shoot is in July.

I can supply details for those interested. As a fund raiser there is a set donation required. Excellent folks down there and is bound to be a great time. There is already a dozen or so yanks crossing the border for this event. It may even turn into an annual thing.

Email me at alazys@xplornet.com for the contact details.

Thanks, Arch.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:05 PM
jrs

Default Re: Gopher shoot

I've heard about that before. July's pretty busy for me or i'd consider a bit of a holiday for something like that. Could probably get messy however .
Old 02-27-2007, 11:25 AM
willy

Default lots gophers by mcgregor

PM me maybe can get some help thinnin them out.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:37 PM
Thomas

Ryan, Thats exactly what I mean. I just moved to Lethbridge in October and Have yet to scout any fields for myself. I always thought the gopher shooting would be poor around Taber with the large ammount of tilled land.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:56 PM
jrs

Theres tons around Lethbridge, problem is most of the suitable lands broken into quarters and guys take care of all the gophers on their own or consider 22's dangerous. The best gopher shoots i've ever had were just outside Vauxhall but the landowners plowed in there pasture greatly reducing the gophers. They were running around in the city today once again.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:27 AM
varmitr

Default Gopher Medicine

marlin 17hmr, basix trig, easily shoots 3/8" at 100, has single shot kills on 13 yotes...
ruger TNZ, tuned trig, otherwise stock to retain its 'now discontinued' status
both have 6x18x52AO bushys'

Old 03-04-2007, 02:55 PM
7 REM MAG

Default Re: Gopher Medicine

lol i cant wait to get my 22-250 out for some long range gophers! i just might have to go out and get a video camera to capture the moment on tape
Old 03-04-2007, 03:50 PM
aulrich

VIDEO you bet I got my first video camera in the fall. MTM has a combination shooting rest and video camera mount that goes on a tripod should make the job easy.

can't wait to try.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:24 PM
7 REM MAG

lol we set the cam up on a tripod and just leave it set on a general area
Old 03-06-2007, 09:52 PM
Grizzly Adams

Lady where I'm working at told me there was a report on the radio of someone parked at the side of H 2 near Innisfail, watching a gopher. Didn't say if the person had a gun in their hand.:rollin
Grizz
Old 03-07-2007, 10:02 PM
WCTHEMI

I am so jealous of you guys, growing up, gopher hunting was a time honoured tradition. Every sunday or spare moment was spent cruising the local pasture's trying to rid them of those little beasts.