Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-22-2007, 11:11 PM
Roebag

Default Home Made Hanging Pole

Seen a picture of this on a web site and made one.
Whole Bull Elk

Whole cow Moose

The winch is a rated at 1400lbs
Pullys are rated at 800 lbs
Tubing is 2" with 1/4 " wall thickness.
Swivals 360 degrees
I put a stump under the truck hitch for the moose and probabley should have done it for the elk. Most that have seen it work have been impressed
Old 02-23-2007, 12:20 AM
Pappy in AB

Nice...
Old 02-23-2007, 12:21 AM
varmitr

I had always heard that you were well hung!!
I can clearly see that it is true.

If you had eye bolts to the frame at the front of the box, two guy wires would give your rig incredible strength.
(to replace the computer designed stump)
Hey R
wanna go wolfin this saturaday??
Old 02-23-2007, 10:33 AM
Brady

Hey that is a cool idea. Love the little guys right in there helpin out too.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:51 AM
shotgun

I want one. I was thinking if you made vertical bar a two piece and had a male/female connection it could fit in the back of the truck for easier transport. Or does that fit flat in your box?
Old 02-23-2007, 03:53 PM
Roebag

Shotgun

It does come apart, the bottom piece is the male fitting with heavy walled pipe sticking up out of the square tubing with a big home made flat washer welded around the pipe where it leaves the tubing. The top piece has another home made flat washer welded on to the but of it. This is the swival point.
Top piece is 7' 9" fitting into my long box under my quad. Bottom piece fits in almost anywhere.

RS
Old 02-23-2007, 04:57 PM
Brady

Is that thing on a 3/4 ton or a 1 ton??
Old 02-23-2007, 05:05 PM
Roebag

3/4 ton. I do have a scale from Cabelas up to 440 pounds but if I put it inline my pole isn't high enough off the ground to do big animals. I wouldn't try lifting a big moose or a big elk whole I don't think, well maybe depending on how tired I am.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:08 PM
Brady

Cool, I will be adding one to my arsenal. I just hate skinning an animal on the ground, and for some reason the old man won't let me have one of the tractors for hunting season. Silly old farmer. :rollin :rollin :rollin
Old 02-23-2007, 07:17 PM
Roebag

Varmitr,

Going fishing Saturday with my boys and fs and some other people you know down at Perch Bay. I would like to go wolfin but this is the best time of the year for fishing the hard water. Lets go another day.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:44 PM
BL

Default Great stuff

Great job Roebag. Question--how big is the "box" on your quad trailer? Length, width, height? Thanks. BL
Old 02-24-2007, 01:10 AM
Roebag

Default Re: Great stuff

BL,

The top of the box is 60" long and 48" wide with an end gate that has hinges at the bottom. I can easily load elk by myself with the winch of my quad and the end gate down. Moose are still a pain to do. Seems like the hump always gets hung up on the sharper edges of the wheel wells at the back. I working on a cure for this though.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:21 AM
Davey Crocket

Roebag... that there is a heck of an IDEA, looks great man, .... so much fer bringin home an animal and using Juniors basketball net.....no more " 3 " pointers fer me !
Old 02-24-2007, 10:47 AM
DUKE

THERES a few guys in Sasakabush thast make them. with attahchments for added height. and swivels to swing the game into the vehicle.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:57 PM
straitshooter

Yeah, my son and I made one 7 yrs ago,when we would get our draws for mulies in 151, where their's no tree's,and lots of wind, they work asome
Old 02-26-2007, 10:05 AM
Tucumseh

Roebag, nice looking hanging pole!

Where did you get your trailer or did you make it?
Old 02-26-2007, 11:54 AM
Roebag

Default Re: hanging pole

Tuc,

A friend of mine made the trailer and I bought it from him.

If you want I can take some more pics of it showing the end gate.

Loading-I strattle the hitch with the front of my quad(front of bike against front of trailer) and run my winch cable over the front of the tub and wrap it around the antlers and winch the animals up the open end gate and in as far as I can, then re-hook the cable around the back ankles and this usually rolls the animal up almost into a ball in the front of the trailer. Then close the end gate and let the winch back out and they're in. Works very well

RS
Old 02-26-2007, 05:05 PM
Tucumseh

Default Re: hanging pole

Fire away!
Old 02-26-2007, 09:30 PM
BL

Default metal

Is the trailer box metal or wood? How well would wood work? BL
Old 02-27-2007, 12:30 AM
Roebag

Default Re: metal

It is made of metal. I don't think a wood one would last as long as a metal one. These tubs take a beating and usually sit outside when not being used. Mine is 15 years old and still works great. Only maintenance done has been to the tires.
I don't think a wood tub could take the abuse these things take year after year. I would like to upgrade mine to a plastic one with an end gate some day but they cost so much now.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:54 AM
wallhangers

How is the stability of the trailer in rougher terrain. We've used ours for moving friends (hunters) to remote areas and find we have to be very careful not to dump the poor boys out. Not that it would be intentional. LOL
Old 02-27-2007, 03:35 PM
straitshooter

Roebag don't want to hi-jack this thread,my son & I built one about seven yrs.ago,but we had a tandem tub trailer, built a bit higher for ground clearance,we made an extension 3 footer,works awesome,looks like a few are interseted in these simple things we make to make life easier,should be more threads like yours and a few others or have a site with ab outdoors naming it Helping Out Lend a Helping Hand.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:00 PM
Roebag

Default Re: Tub Stability

Wallhangers,

Stability on mine is poor in rough terrain. I always try to keep the loads low in the tub and reduce the speed of travel in the rough stuff. I've had a few"OHME OHMY's" with quads pulling tubs but I think that comes with the territory. I've never pulled a tandem but from what I hear tandems are far better for most types of country.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:06 PM
Roebag

Staitshooter,

You should post some pic's of yours
Old 03-08-2007, 01:42 AM
qbochar

Default Re: Tub Stability

Nice lift, and bye the way glad to see you have those two "big" helpers out in the bush. Good to see the heritage being carried on to the next generation.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:01 AM
WCTHEMI

Very nice. I've been looking for a good nightshift project.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:43 PM
Roebag

I should have mentioned that the elk I hung by the pelvic bone and the moose was from the hocks. This extra height is better for obvious reasons but especially for loading into the back of the truck
In the future I won't split the pelvis on animals anymore just for hanging and de-boning purposes.