Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-15-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
No, it doesn't... this is like saying that one firearm is more dangerous than another because of how it looks.

A weapon is an inanimate object until a human picks it up and uses it. It is the user's responsibility to know how to use it. You can not regulate skill, whether you and Nekred want it to be or not.

If we were to follow Nekred's suggestion regarding bow hunter licensing; why the hell should I have to shoot 8/10 arrows into the kill zone of a deer target at 40 yards?!?! I do not shoot animals with archery equipment beyond 25 yards as it is much too easy (in my OPINION) to wound animals at distances beyond that.

Maybe I should lobby against archery equipment because someone may shoot beyond their ability..... but then again, maybe I should mind my own frickin' business and focus on MY hunting activity and abilities instead of everyone else's.

Arrrhhhhgg!!
I understand what you folks are saying but where does it end? Throwing stars?? Throwing knives??? Crazy.....
Old 04-15-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
My point is hunter eductaion teaches hunters that that is not an ideal shot...with any tool...
And I know of far too many eople that have taken tose shots beyond their capabilties, one of them in fact was a hunter safety training instructor.
Just because it is tought doesn't mean it will be put into practice .
Cat
Old 04-15-2014, 01:37 PM

[QUOTE=Pudelpointer;2404684]

If we were to follow Nekred's suggestion regarding bow hunter licensing; why the hell should I have to shoot 8/10 arrows into the kill zone of a deer target at 40 yards?!?! I do not shoot animals with archery equipment beyond 25 yards as it is much too easy (in my OPINION) to wound animals at distances beyond that.
QUOTE]

You need to read my posts... if you want to refer to them quote them.... CORRECTLY... when people don't quote things properly it leads to mis interpretation such as how asking for a definition of legal hunting equipment gets misconstrued into someone trying to ban a certain type of equipment...
Old 04-15-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
You need to read my posts... if you want to refer to them quote them.... CORRECTLY... when people don't quote things properly it leads to mis interpretation such as how asking for a definition of legal hunting equipment gets misconstrued into someone trying to ban a certain type of equipment...
" I believe that every hunter should have to do a proficiency test on their weapon they use as is in place in some European countries already. For archery the means is already in place. We could shoot animal targets at distances laid out in a course from 0-40 yards (using a range finder) and ensure that we have 18 out of 20 hits within the vitals to ensure a PK (probability of Kill) of 90%. and you get three tries "

How exactly is what I posted fundamentally different from what you wrote? In that 20 shots would be taken at various distances.... my apology. The comparison holds IMO as your example still requires me to shoot farther than I am comfortable... do you believe that your test should be the minimum for all archery equipment? I have a flat bow that I would not pass your test with....EVER. However, at 15 yards or less I wouldn't hesitate to kill a deer; and that is my SELF IMPOSED LIMIT.

Go regulate your own limits.

PS I find it absolutely hilarious that despise documented FACT that the ABA proposed to ban spears and Atlatls you guys keep tripping on your d**** while trying to back-pedal. Keep trying to rewrite history... though I don't know why you guys are trying as it is highly likely that the ABA executive still believes that they should be banned. What is the ABA hiding from?
Old 04-15-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
I understand what you folks are saying but where does it end? Throwing stars?? Throwing knives??? Crazy.....
I understand what you are saying also. I guess it comes down to, is the tool effective in the right hands. I've never heard of anyone hunting with throwing stars or throwing knifes and i am guessing it is because they don't have the capability to penetrate deep enough to make a quick kill. Now a Spear or Atlatl in the right hands definitely has the capability to penetrate deep enough to make a quick kill. It's not like people are trying to reinvent the wheel here, Spears and Atlatls have been used for thousands of years.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
I understand what you are saying also. I guess it comes down to, is the tool effective in the right hands. I've never heard of anyone hunting with throwing stars or throwing knifes and i am guessing it is because they don't have the capability to penetrate deep enough to make a quick kill. Now a Spear or Atlatl in the right hands definitely has the capability to penetrate deep enough to make a quick kill. It's not like people are trying to reinvent the wheel here, Spears and Atlatls have been used for thousands of years.
Very good point! There's a hunter who thinks about the welfare of his quarry! Good on you friend!!
Old 04-28-2014, 08:23 AM

here is your chance to save the atlatl

http://www.bowhunters.ca/uploads/ABA...apon_brief.pdf
Old 04-30-2014, 06:41 AM

Whoa, alot of info to put together in a short time. Still, I'm pretty sure we will get a half-hearted "hearing". If we could be at the AGMAG meeting, personally, I think it would be beneficial for all hunters.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertaatlatl View Post
Whoa, alot of info to put together in a short time. Still, I'm pretty sure we will get a half-hearted "hearing". If we could be at the AGMAG meeting, personally, I think it would be beneficial for all hunters.
Well here are my thoughts about the situation. http://militaryhuntingandfishing.com...to-ban-atlatl/ not sure if everyone will agree but this is how I feel. You are travling down a slippry slope in Alberta and the US is on your tail.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitaryHuntingandFishing View Post
Well here are my thoughts about the situation. http://militaryhuntingandfishing.com...to-ban-atlatl/ not sure if everyone will agree but this is how I feel. You are travling down a slippry slope in Alberta and the US is on your tail.

Great write-up there, friend!