Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-11-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
point number 1... since when did grouse become big game.....

point number 2 how is a proposal to define legal hunting equipment for big game have any relevence to this post?

You better read the details of the Discussion proposal more
carefully.
The proposed Legal Weapons definition as written applies to ALL Open Hunting Seasons.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 04-11-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogger View Post
^I think this is a very well-balanced, reasonable post. If I were to maybe just "split hairs" for one moment, it would be the text I've highlighted. I would like to suggest that if one invests hundreds (if not, thousands) of dollars in hunting equipment, sets aside a day, drives to a location, puts miles on the boots...and then suggests that the meat isn't the primary purpose...? I'd probably say "then it wouldn't matter if you left the gun at home and brought a camera...?" I'm not trying to be a smart ***, I guess I just wish people weren't looking to put labels on the way people hunt. "Meat"/"Sport", that sort of thing. A grouse (here) IN it's natural setting is usually walking around on the ground. If I purposely scare into the air to "inject" some kind of sporting element that doesn't need to be there, I'm only doing that for my amusement. Not judging, just suggesting that I truly believe there is room for every approach, and I honestly don't feel one is less "sporting" than another. There could be an argument made for wing shots being more "challenging", but let's not let the "sporting" term sway how we view the way others hunt. Just my 2 cents.
x2
Old 04-11-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
^^^^^^^

So how about pheasant hunting and finding a bird that is "holed up" beneath your feet....you are out hunting with a shotgun, so do you flush it and shoot giving it a chance or do you step on it and harvest it without firing a shot?

LC
With the dogs we sometime (not often with wild birds but somtime) get 'traps' if the bird injured I will release it to hunt another day and carry on. It's good steadying practise for the dog as well.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
You better read the details of the Discussion proposal more
carefully.
The proposed Legal Weapons definition as written applies to ALL Open Hunting Seasons.
No you should read it as it says BIG GAME....
Old 04-11-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundhogger View Post
i think this is a very well-balanced, reasonable post. If i were to maybe just "split hairs" for one moment, it would be the text i've highlighted. I would like to suggest that if one invests hundreds (if not, thousands) of dollars in hunting equipment, sets aside a day, drives to a location, puts miles on the boots...and then suggests that the meat isn't the primary purpose...? I'd probably say "then it wouldn't matter if you left the gun at home and brought a camera...?" i'm not trying to be a smart ***, i guess i just wish people weren't looking to put labels on the way people hunt. "meat"/"sport", that sort of thing. A grouse (here) in it's natural setting is usually walking around on the ground. If i purposely scare into the air to "inject" some kind of sporting element that doesn't need to be there, i'm only doing that for my amusement. Not judging, just suggesting that i truly believe there is room for every approach, and i honestly don't feel one is less "sporting" than another. There could be an argument made for wing shots being more "challenging", but let's not let the "sporting" term sway how we view the way others hunt. Just my 2 cents.
x1,000,000

Fish of 2014-

Yellow Perch-22
Lake Whitefish-7
Pike-19
Walleye-63
Burbot-7
Old 04-11-2014, 04:00 PM

Sorry to the OP for the side by side here, but this regulation topic is completely about current AGMAG discussion that will decide what weapons you should use.

Quote:

Read it again. The wording currenly being used is "an Open Hunting Season". There is no mention of this proposal being limited to Big Game seasons only. As written, the proposal covers ALL hunting seasons. Is the intent to discuss legal weapons for ALL hunting or just Big game? We'll have to wait for F&W to clarify that. Perhaps they "miswrote" or " miscommunicated", or there is a new "Ratified" version being prepared.

AFGA and SCI have confirmed that these discussion are including ALL Hunting seasons, even Chicken season.

Note the title - Limit the Type of Weapons Allowed During an Open Hunting Season

And here - 3. Information to support change-
" amend regulations to explicitly state what weapons would be legal during Open Hunting Seasons. "

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 04-11-2014, 04:26 PM

Well this thread has taking a 108 degree turn! All good discussion though...

Fish of 2014-

Yellow Perch-22
Lake Whitefish-7
Pike-19
Walleye-63
Burbot-7
Old 04-11-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
You should read it all not skim the first sentence or two....

It is scary what they are trying to push threw...
Old 04-11-2014, 05:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
^I think this is a very well-balanced, reasonable post. If I were to maybe just "split hairs" for one moment, it would be the text I've highlighted. I would like to suggest that if one invests hundreds (if not, thousands) of dollars in hunting equipment, sets aside a day, drives to a location, puts miles on the boots...and then suggests that the meat isn't the primary purpose...? I'd probably say "then it wouldn't matter if you left the gun at home and brought a camera...?" I'm not trying to be a smart ***, I guess I just wish people weren't looking to put labels on the way people hunt. "Meat"/"Sport", that sort of thing. A grouse (here) IN it's natural setting is usually walking around on the ground. If I purposely scare into the air to "inject" some kind of sporting element that doesn't need to be there, I'm only doing that for my amusement. Not judging, just suggesting that I truly believe there is room for every approach, and I honestly don't feel one is less "sporting" than another. There could be an argument made for wing shots being more "challenging", but let's not let the "sporting" term sway how we view the way others hunt. Just my 2 cents.
I am not trying to put labels on people, I will try to say it in a different way.

I agree that the purpose of the sport hunter is to harvest meat. I would also say that all hunters are sport hunters, but within the community of sport hunters there are different mind sets.

One hunter will take advantage of every opportunity to harvest meat that presents itself. So he would shoot ducks\geese walking in the decoys or grouse on the ground with his shotgun. Thus upping the odds of bringing home meat. This is what I mean by his primary purpose being harvesting meat.

The other hunter would not shoot ducks\geese walking in the decoys or grouse on the ground with his shotgun even if that was the only opportunity to harvest meat that presented itself. Hence he is still hunting for meat but limits himself in the ways he is willing to harvest that meat. So to this hunter there are other things more important than the harvest, that is what I mean by meat is not his primary purpose.

As I said I think both mind sets are equally valid.

As far as fence lining or short stopping goes, those guys are not sportsman. They are idiots with guns.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
^^^^^^^

So how about pheasant hunting and finding a bird that is "holed up" beneath your feet....you are out hunting with a shotgun, so do you flush it and shoot giving it a chance or do you step on it and harvest it without firing a shot?

LC
If I could walk up to a grouse and pick it up, I would never take a gun.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:58 PM
Banned

I don't shoot at sitting birds in either trees or on ground. I hunt all upland birds over dogs with a shotgun. I only shoot at what the dogs point, after I flush it. To me there is quite the difference between hunting and filling the freezer.
To each their own.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse_hunter View Post
I don't shoot at sitting birds in either trees or on ground. I hunt all upland birds over dogs with a shotgun. I only shoot at what the dogs point, after I flush it. To me there is quite the difference between hunting and filling the freezer.
To each their own.
I hunted for grouse exactly 5 times this fall, and didn't shoot a single bird with my "freezer filling" methods...which is exactly my point. If I had enough grouse around here, perhaps my own approach would be different than it is, but if I ever want to eat one of these things, I need to hit the go button the moment I see them. Different circumstances/different approaches~all good as far as I'm concerned.

For the record, fall 2013 was the toughest I can remember in the handful of years I've been hunting ruffed grouse. In 5 outings, I think I caught a glimpse of 4 birds in total. If you MUST know~one was on the trail right between me and my pick-up truck when I was returning back from a 3km. hike. As "unsporting" as I am, I took a pass on that bird. Even a heathen like me can have a moment of inspiration. Perhaps there is hope...
Old 04-11-2014, 10:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
I hunted for grouse exactly 5 times this fall, and didn't shoot a single bird with my "freezer filling" methods...which is exactly my point. If I had enough grouse around here, perhaps my own approach would be different than it is, but if I ever want to eat one of these things, I need to hit the go button the moment I see them. Different circumstances/different approaches~all good as far as I'm concerned.

For the record, fall 2013 was the toughest I can remember in the handful of years I've been hunting ruffed grouse. In 5 outings, I think I caught a glimpse of 4 birds in total. If you MUST know~one was on the trail right between me and my pick-up truck when I was returning back from a 3km. hike. As "unsporting" as I am, I took a pass on that bird. Even a heathen like me can have a moment of inspiration. Perhaps there is hope...
No need to be so melodramatic. I simply described how I hunt birds. I didn't condemn anyone.
Quite the shame about low numbers in your area. This season I saw a few hundred and shot 37. Thats during 47 field outings mind you.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *BigSexyHunter* View Post
So does my opinions and methods of hunting make me "un ethical" or "un sporting"
I may do things different than you, but I do not wish to impose my way on you. I expect the same from you in relation to the way I do things! If you're not doing anything illegal as far as I am concerned we are kool
Old 04-12-2014, 02:31 PM

Have to agree cant transfer ethics or values to another person. What is unsporting for me to do is totally fine for many others.
Of course there are other factors at play here I agree children should succeed in their hunts and should not be held to such a high standard as experienced wing shooters.

having said that however if I ever saw a ranked shooter like "covey" bust a bird on the ground or water he knows he would never hear the end of it.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
having said that however if I ever saw a ranked shooter like "covey" bust a bird on the ground or water he knows he would never hear the end of it.
Now I am feeling guilty. I was about to answer Lefty-Canuck's question by choosing "step on it and harvest it without firing a shot?": Bottom line for me is if I want to eat pheasant or feel sporting? I think I might just save this bird from being coyote food and make up my mind to be sporting later No ground swatting for me though!
Old 04-12-2014, 03:58 PM

Default I might test that

Easy for me to tie up a roosters wings and tie him to the underbrush.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:00 AM

I shot quite a few ruffies last fall and the way I hunt is trail walking with my .410 SXS. Rarely do I flush them as I get close enough to do the headshot. To me (no offence to bird dogs) it is plenty sporting and I don't need a dog to find them. The few times I have been though, hunting over dogs was great fun!
Old 04-13-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse_hunter View Post
No need to be so melodramatic. I simply described how I hunt birds. I didn't condemn anyone.
Quite the shame about low numbers in your area. This season I saw a few hundred and shot 37. Thats during 47 field outings mind you.
Not being melodramatic grouse_hunter, just having a little fun. If anything, just trying to stress the importance of the "to each his own" way I think things should be. This forum isn't too bad, but I've read lots of others where people DO chastise those who don't hold back on sitting birds. I honestly think it drags conversations like these down.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Not being melodramatic grouse_hunter, just having a little fun. If anything, just trying to stress the importance of the "to each his own" way I think things should be. This forum isn't too bad, but I've read lots of others where people DO chastise those who don't hold back on sitting birds. I honestly think it drags conversations like these down.
Yup, reminds me of a story that my hunting buddy told me about some stuck up outdoorsman at a shop in Calgary, didn't matter what it was , he was the elite of the elite , never casting to anything but a rising fish with a dry, etc.
One day they were talking around the coffee pot about hunting grouse and this guy said something about not shooting them unless his champion trained pointer put them up, and only then with his SXS , if they were "on the rise".
My buddy looked at him straight faced and remarked
" They FLY??!!"
Too funny, really!
Cat