Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you bring technology on your Hunts?
I do not bring electronic technology on Hunts. 12 13.95%
I bring technology for safety purposes only (GPS et al). 12 13.95%
Yes, I enjoy my electronics/cameras and using them afield. 62 72.09%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-14-2013, 03:12 AM

Default Technology Afield

Hello Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum!

Curiousity as per peoples interest in bringing technology afield has birthed this thread. I have very much enjoyed my time here on Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum. It is a pleasure to exchange information/opinion and converse upon topics of interest with you.

Going about the site, threads wherein folks say they do not see enough pictures of game (thus potentialy indicating that many do not bring technology afield perhaps? I am aware there were issues with posters being attacked for their image posts but I never did figure our kind for the type to be pushed around) along with other threads that appear to be created in the field during Hunts are read.

Personally I have yet to bring any electronic technology with me on a Hunt: not a camera, not a satelite phone/SPOT, GPS... Nada tecnologia senior. I do not use nor care for trail cams either.

Considering the reasons behind these sentiments, often feeling overwhelmed by all the modern technology in effect in our daily lives came to the fore however; being here on the internet at this time, it is not like I am in strong opposition to it.

Yet there are times where one wishes they were born before all the recent changes in Human history that have drastically transformed our world ran rampant. You know, doing everything physically and traversing untouched wilderness on horseback with little to no governemnt controls placed on me. As such I enjoy being alone in nature and without electronics for the most part.

I was thinking about this and about perhaps bringing a camera out in a future season for some nature/wildlife photograghy attempts. Maybe this wouldn't be such a bad idea one day? Though I do not own a cell phone nor camera of my own as of this writing.

Do you bring technology afield with you?

If yes, what is your rationale for doing so?

Last edited by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham; 09-14-2013 at 03:18 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:56 AM

My kids hunt with me a lot of times and I feel the need to capture the moment/their accomplishments. I also feel safer having a phone in case of emergencies and for the use of GPS. Always have the iPhone on me.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:45 AM
Gone Hunting

I'm an old school kind of guy, but I do have camera, scope, rifle, rangefinder, binos etc.

Why would I walk when I have horse. There are countries in the world where the wheel is high tech. I don't live there.

The trouble with society today is not high tech stuff, it's the low tech stuff, like honesty, integrity, morality, common sense, friendliness, and compassion. I try to bring those things with me every time I go out.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 09-14-2013, 09:36 AM

Camera, GPS, flashlight, wristwatch.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
I'm an old school kind of guy, but I do have camera, scope, rifle, rangefinder, binos etc.

Why would I walk when I have horse. There are countries in the world where the wheel is high tech. I don't live there.

The trouble with society today is not high tech stuff, it's the low tech stuff, like honesty, integrity, morality, common sense, friendliness, and compassion. I try to bring those things with me every time I go out.
So true. ^^

I just bought my first trail cam & haven't even checked the card yet but I do use my range finder and have goretex in things like boots etc, so I guess I'm high tech?? I don't bring my ipad or watch youtube on my phone in the field though, so I guess I'm low tech? lol

Seriously though, most hunters today in North America are "high tech" to some degree. Lots of technology is "hidden" in things like gortex & other less visible technological advances and not in the more obvious things like electronics.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 09-14-2013, 09:19 PM

Thank you for your replies to this thread!

I very much appreciate you all for taking the time to vote and contribute.

Interesting responses so far indeed.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:21 PM

I do bring my phone with me for a few reasons, it's a camera, note pad, GPS, flashlight, and even if the field is inactive I can still quietly play a hunting game lol. Or even check in with the mrs. if I have reception.... Thanks for the poll
Old 09-14-2013, 10:26 PM

One more vote for technology.
Message from Alberta Environment and Sustainable Resource Development

Successful Moose Draw Applicants

To: Successful Moose Draw Applicants

For 2013, moose hunters in Alberta are being asked to contribute information on the number of moose seen while hunting. For each day hunted, hunters are asked to record the number of moose seen, using an “App” on their mobile phone devices. These observations will be used to enhance information of population size and structure for each Wildlife Management Unit (WMU), information critical to the sustainable management of Alberta’s moose populations. This program was piloted last year, but was hampered by the coincident introduction of Apple’s new operating system, iOS6. As a consequence only 1,750 reports were received last year. Even with this relatively low sample size, information roughly correlated with our aerial survey estimates of moose density. Both iPhone and Android systems are supported, vastly increasing the ability for hunters to use this “App”.

To participate in this monitoring program, you must load the “App” onto your mobile smart phone device, using either an iPhone or Android-based smart phone. Instructions for loading the “App” are found on the website: www.biology.ualberta.ca/moose. On first use of the “App” you must enter your WIN card number and the WMU for which you’ve drawn a licence. Each day, at 8:00 p.m. your mobile smart phone will emit the call of a cow moose in heat, as a reminder for you to record the number of moose seen that day, their sex/age if identified and the number of hours spent in the WMU hunting.

Rules for contributing data include:

1. Record the number of hours spent in the WMU when moose might be seen, whether in a vehicle or on foot.
2. Only record moose seen on that day.
3. Only report moose actually seen. Do not record observations of tracks or moose beds.
4. Only record moose observed within the WMU for which a hunting licence was issued. Do not report moose observations in areas outside this WMU.
5. Record the number of bulls, cows, and calves observed. If uncertain of the sex/age classification of an observed moose, record it as “unidentified” on the App form.
6. Record moose observations even if outside the range of cellular communication. The date-stamped observations will be uploaded when the hunter returns to an area with mobile phone or WiFi coverage.

If you have any difficulties with the “Moose App”, you may call Mike Kaiser with the Alberta Conservation Association for technical support. He can be reached at (780) 983-2066.

Long-term studies in Sweden, Norway and Finland have demonstrated that hunter observations of moose are highly correlated with moose abundance. Annual change in relative abundance can be due to year-to-year variation in weather, parasites, disease, predation, habitat change, and/or hunter harvest. Using annual estimates of abundance and herd composition, from the Moose Hunter Survey, along with data on harvest from ESRD Fish and Wildlife’s Game Harvest Survey, we can optimize harvest opportunities for each WMU, while ensuring the long-term sustainability of Alberta’s Moose populations.

Email SRD.FWDLicensing@gov.ab.ca
Old 09-15-2013, 10:16 AM

If you bring no technology to the field you must run naked, trying to catch game with your bare hands. Arrows tipped with flint were advanced technology at one time. So is your rifle, scope, etc. Do you have a watch to determine when you can start legally huntng? LOL

I think what you are trying to ask is: what do you bring that is battery operated.

For me:
-watch
-cell phone if in coverage area
-SPOT
-Range finder when big game hunting.
-GPS if planning to go a fair ways from the road.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
If you bring no technology to the field you must run naked, trying to catch game with your bare hands. Arrows tipped with flint were advanced technology at one time. So is your rifle, scope, etc. Do you have a watch to determine when you can start legally huntng? LOL

I think what you are trying to ask is: what do you bring that is battery operated.

For me:
-watch
-cell phone if in coverage area
-SPOT
-Range finder when big game hunting.
-GPS if planning to go a fair ways from the road.
Yes Sir,

I meant electronic technology and I am aware that the flint arrowhead was once high tech, et al. In fact I consider modern Shotguns, Rifles and Archery Equipment (Not to mention those amazing Inline Muzzloaders!) to be quite high tech, though mechanically/chemicaly so.

Funny point you have there Okotokian, well said!

I have always yet felt that legal shooting light is readily apparent, yet still I do check those times out and make sure I'm legal even if I think the light looks good. Alternately if I am within technically legal times yet am not comfortable with the looks of the light in my environment I don't shoot.

Awhile ago I was talking with a gentleman who stopped Hunting because he is not into Waterfowl/Upland and Small Game yet is not confident in his physical ability to pack out Big Game animals anymore. So he switched to Wildlife Photograghy. This gentleman still gets out there, but nowadays he's shooting with a camera not a gun.
Personally I am not considering going that route but thought I might get into trying to take some Wilderness/Wildlife images sometime in the future. Just wanted to see what others here think and are upto.

Last edited by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham; 09-16-2013 at 02:59 AM.