Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-09-2012, 01:21 PM

Default Do it your self New Zealand?

I've been told a outfiiter isn't needed in NZ, I was wondering if anyone has ever went their and simply backpacked in for chamios and tahr? Would their be much paper work bringing horn and capes out?
Old 01-09-2012, 01:25 PM

Been a very high interest in my books, but sadly I havent looked into it enough. I know a guy who has done it and one of these days I need to make a commitment to go over there and have a great vacation and a hunt.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:07 PM

Been there and done it. Its not difficult to get your trophies back. Contact Geoff Olsen at Go Do New Zealand - he is a trophy exporter and Solid Dude. +64 3 358 7179, geoffolsen@godonz.co.nz. He is in Christchurch. Taxidermist we used is GD O'Rourke and Sons in Pleasant Point also on the south island. +64 3 614 7737, www.orourkebros.co.nz. As for the actual hunting, best to go online and find decent areas via the hunting regs, start studying maps, getting in touch with locals etc. For Tahr your best odds are likely drawing a heli access permit for a specific zone and be flown in and dropped. chamois are more of a crap shoot. It would be wise to do alot of planning in advance - lots of good info from locals on hunt n fish NZ forum. tahr are plentiful, there is not the same guarded attitude in NZ for tahr as for sheep here.
We backpacked and killed two Tahr, but didnt connect on Chamois. Best time to go is beginning of May (thar have good hair, weather is typically good). I will be going back eventually for the Chamois...
Best of luck to you,
Mike
Old 01-09-2012, 02:24 PM

Did you see any Stags while you were there?
Old 01-09-2012, 02:26 PM
Banned

Pics please.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25-06rem.model700 View Post
I've been told a outfiiter isn't needed in NZ, I was wondering if anyone has ever went their and simply backpacked in for chamios and tahr? Would their be much paper work bringing horn and capes out?
Yea exactly like mike said geoff is awsome for exporting the animals home, i just received 11 animals as of 4 days ago and he did it all, flew them to vancouver then had talon from edomoton do the rest to edmonton.
As far as hunting the tahr and chamois it is a very demanding hunt and very physical hunt. You will need to be in great shape and have at least a couple weeks to mess around and get your self in a good area.
Once you have rented your vehicle and found a good area time and patience should get you rewarded.

As far as the stags go you will basically have to travel over to the other side and hunt the free range stag, which are in the rain forest and extremely hard to hunt and kill, access is also tough on the stags, But in the end its who you meet and who will show you areas, Research is a great tool for sure.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:06 PM

We didnt see any stags... actually did see some tracks in the snow - just bad timing. Here is the better of the two Tahr and my hunting partner, aka "Tahr Eye".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rob1.jpg (54.6 KB, 179 views)
Old 01-09-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7MM Mike View Post
We didnt see any stags... actually did see some tracks in the snow - just bad timing. Here is the better of the two Tahr and my hunting partner, aka "Tahr Eye".
What a buty man, are you up above the arangautang river, (i think my spelling is wrong on the river) That looks like the view where i killed mine
Old 01-09-2012, 03:14 PM

We hunted the Two thumb on the east side of Lake Tekapo. Looks similar for sure! An amazing hunt.
Georgous bull Gunslinger!
Old 01-09-2012, 07:36 PM

Default Helps to have friends there

I will be back this spring for free range Sika and fallow. Might go back up to Makapua station for another red stag. Mark Walker, a taxidermist there has turned out to be one of the best friends a person could ever hope for. He even wrangled a free range Sambar hunt for me.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:37 PM

Thats too cool Ken. I need to make some friends there!
Old 01-09-2012, 08:42 PM

I just talked to Mark yesterday and if we don't find a hunt at SCI we will probably head over there for the roar this spring. We would have a bunch of other animals to hunt as well, it would be a blast.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
I will be back this spring for free range Sika and fallow. Might go back up to Makapua station for another red stag. Mark Walker, a taxidermist there has turned out to be one of the best friends a person could ever hope for. He even wrangled a free range Sambar hunt for me.
Wow you are one lucky fella , the only other place i ever seen a sambar killed was this year free range on the hearst ranch in california. Them are some cool animals. Man i would of loved to shoot a sika.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:05 AM

Default 30 inch Sambar

Here he is. This was a real cool hunt. It is a wild herd that lives on the south side of the north island.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 021.jpg (95.0 KB, 79 views)