Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-24-2011, 02:26 AM

Default Draw Summary 2011 ?????????

WMU 353
Nov 1 - Nov 30
2 34 34 100.00%
1 189 189 100.00%
0 0 118 0.00%

I was priority 1 as well as my dad for antlered moose, and the summary shows that priority 1 is 100% of applicants got drawn, yet both me and my dad were not drawn for it....any ideas why this is????

Old 08-24-2011, 06:04 AM

Where did you find the results?
Old 08-24-2011, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen1971 View Post
Where did you find the results?
http://www.mywildalberta.com/Hunting...t/Default.aspx
Old 08-24-2011, 12:40 PM

There should be no reason for that. You should phone Fish & Wildlife and ask them.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by --Adam-- View Post
I was priority 1 as well as my dad for antlered moose, and the summary shows that priority 1 is 100% of applicants got drawn, yet both me and my dad were not drawn for it....any ideas why this is????
I've personally witnessed someone getting drawn with a pri 0 while someone else with a pri 1 for the same draw and wmu did not get drawn.

Maybe the two of you were less than .1% not drawn and they rounded up to 100%.

I'd definitely be contacting SRD to get an answer!
Old 08-24-2011, 12:53 PM

Are you sure you applied for the late season and not the early one, and that your dad was also priority 1? We hear of people making mistakes like that.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Are you sure you applied for the late season and not the early one, and that your dad was also priority 1? We hear of people making mistakes like that.
Positive...no mistakes made, i've double checked, triple checked the codes and everything to see if i made a mistake, but nope everything was right...draw code 926, both of us at priority 1, were now sitting at 2 since we did not get drawn..thats the first time ive ever went to priority 2 for moose in that area...

I agree with everybody, i think i should call and see what exactly happened...what are the odds of two applicants not drawn when the summary says 100% drawn at 1..

Thanks.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:53 PM

I called and they told me, since i put it as my 3rd choice thats why i never got it..they said all the priority 1's were filled up for that area by then most likely by the time my 3rd choice went into the pool...so the draw summarys report must be done by 1st choice then im assuming, oh well..lol im goin to bow hunt for moose this year lol
Old 08-24-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Thanx!!!
Old 08-25-2011, 12:05 AM

Quote:
I called and they told me, since i put it as my 3rd choice thats why i never got it..they said all the priority 1's were filled up for that area by then most likely by the time my 3rd choice went into the pool...so the draw summarys report must be done by 1st choice then im assuming, oh well..lol im goin to bow hunt for moose this year lol
"so the draw summarys report must be done by 1st choice"

The summary includes ALL applicants. It just breaks them down to drawn or unsuccessful. You are being screwed.

I would call SRD Licencing and raise a stink. Demand a tag or hard proof of why you were legitimately not drawn.

There is a lot of crap happening with SRD and public hunting licences. There is a renewed push within the Goverment to privitize tags and paid access. We must not let them treat mistakes within the Public draw system lightly.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:08 AM

thats what i thought too, it seemed weird to me about the summary...i guess i should call SRD and get this figured out.

Thanks
Old 08-30-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
"so the draw summarys report must be done by 1st choice"

The summary includes ALL applicants. It just breaks them down to drawn or unsuccessful. You are being screwed.

I would call SRD Licencing and raise a stink. Demand a tag or hard proof of why you were legitimately not drawn.

There is a lot of crap happening with SRD and public hunting licences. There is a renewed push within the Goverment to privitize tags and paid access. We must not let them treat mistakes within the Public draw system lightly.
Well here's the update:

I just called SRD, and at first they told me that is does seem weird, and then they made a phone call to RELM and when SRD called me back they told me the same thing..The draw summary is based on 1st choice applicants only, and thats why its showing 100% drawn when i didnt get drawn because i had that area as my 3rd choice.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Well here's the update:

I just called SRD, and at first they told me that is does seem weird, and then they made a phone call to RELM and when SRD called me back they told me the same thing..The draw summary is based on 1st choice applicants only, and thats why its showing 100% drawn when i didnt get drawn because i had that area as my 3rd choice.
You are still getting played.

It is a fact that ALL applicants are included in the summary. Well, except for the ones THEY screw up on.

Get OFF the phone, do your communicating in writing, use email. Ask for the documentation of your draw.

Who Specifically are you talking to? What is their title?
Old 08-30-2011, 01:04 PM

I talked to somebody from the information centre at Alberta Sustainable Resource Development in Edmonton. Not sure what their title was, but thats who i got from that number.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:52 PM

Here are the contacts you need.

Email Heather Arnold, she is the RELM Licencing administrator.

CC your emails to Carol Trowsdale, Ron Bjorne, and Jim Allen.

Licensing and Resource Data ( Heather Arnold and Carol Trowsdale)
http://alberta.ca/home/includes/dire...&levelID=49852

Wildlife Management Branch ( Ron Bjorge)
http://alberta.ca/home/includes/dire...D&levelID=7631

Game and Priority Species (Jim Allen)
http://alberta.ca/home/includes/dire...D&levelID=7647
Old 08-30-2011, 02:17 PM

Thanks for all the info and help
Old 08-30-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Well here's the update:

That is the way i thought it worked! Just the way they explained it to you. I only every put in one choice if i get drawn find if i don't thats find to.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABwapiti View Post
That is the way i thought it worked! Just the way they explained it to you. I only every put in one choice if i get drawn find if i don't thats find to.
X2… I don’t bother with 2nd or 3rd choices… if I have to wait a year or two to hunt the WMU I really want to so be it… plenty of other game to chase around Alberta...

Good to hear you got everything figured out
Old 08-30-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie View Post
X2… I don’t bother with 2nd or 3rd choices… if I have to wait a year or two to hunt the WMU I really want to so be it… plenty of other game to chase around Alberta...

Good to hear you got everything figured out
Yep, everything makes sense..thats all i wanted to know. Not gettin' drawn wasn't a big deal, was just confused bout the report that's all. Dealt with and done.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:12 PM
Gone Hunting

An interesting situation I had never really thought about.

If I have 0 priority and WMU XX is my first choice

And you have 1 priority and WMU XX is your third choice

Who should get the licence?

If I had 1 priority (just like you) and I had WMU XX as my second choice, I reckon I should get the permit before you.

If they go through each WMU one at a time they would not select you for your third choice if they hadn't done your first choice WMU yet would they.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 08-30-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post
An interesting situation I had never really thought about.

If I have 0 priority and WMU XX is my first choice

And you have 1 priority and WMU XX is your third choice

Who should get the licence?
The priority 1 guy gets it with his third choice before a 0 gets it with his first choice. From the Draw Booklet:

"The draw selection process is based on a priority system which allocates licences to applicants with the highest priority as follows:

THE FIRST, SECOND AND THIRD CHOICES OF THE HIGHEST PRIORITY APPLICANT IS CONSIDERED BEFORE ANY CHOICE OF AN APPLICANT WITH A LOWER PRIORITY.

The draws are completed one species (draw code) at a time. Each WMU/Area Choice within the species has a quota for the maximum
number of applicants that can be selected. The selection process starts by determining if the number of applicants for a WMU/Area
Choice exceeds the quota for that WMU/Area. If so, the priority selection process is applied. The system will first try to fill the available
quotas with the first choices of highest priority applicants. If, after the first selection, there are special licences left, the system will look
at the second choice of the highest priority applicants that remain, and finally the third choice of highest priority applicants. After
considering all top priority applicants, the system will allocate special licences to the next priority applicants. The system will repeat the
process with progressively lower priority applicants until all special licences are assigned. If at any level of priority and choice there are
more applicants than licences, the available licences will be distributed among those applicants on a random draw basis."

The stats were definitely incorrectly reported. 100% of the priority 1 applicants did NOT get their tags. Also, what are the chances of EXACTLY 100% of one priority getting their tags and exactly 0% of the next lower priority getting theirs? That is highly unlikely. The numbers would have to come out EXACTLY perfect. The number of tags available equal exactly the number of people in a certain priority who wanted them... naw.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:08 PM

I suspect it is the method the draw results are reported,,,, not how the draw is actually conducted. If you listed three WMU choices then you potentially could be counted in each of three different draws from one application if they listed second and third choices in the draw results,,,, This could get even more confusing and it would be difficult to determine the total number of applicants.

Now if someone with a lower priority than you have gets drawn in your third choice zone, then something would be amiss,,, but in this case there no zero priorities drawn.

Obviously all the priority one 1st choices were drawn to show 100% success of the priority one first choice applicants for the season / zone in question. Somewhere in the priority one "2nd" and "third" choice applicants , the number of tags run out.