Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-16-2012, 11:25 AM
Banned

Default One for the NHL fans

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle4615948/

The NHL has presented a new offer to the players that it hopes will end the lockout and allow for a full 82-game season.

League commissioner Gary Bettman says the long-term deal will split revenues with players 50-50 across the board and takes steps to guarantee the players will get full value from their existing deals.

Bettman says under the deal the season would start Nov. 2 and each team would have one additional game every five weeks in order to get a full season in.

Bettman says the proposal is now in the hands of the NHL Players’ Association. The union has requested time to look the proposal over.

The current lockout is just over a month old.

The season was to start Oct. 11, but the two sides were not able to come to an agreement before then and the first 82 games of the schedule were scrapped.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:27 AM

Wow.....thats a big step for the NHL to take....

Interesting to see what will happen!
Old 10-16-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Wow.....thats a big step for the NHL to take....

Interesting to see what will happen!
X2

I was thinking the same thing. But bettman is no dummy either when it comes to negotiating . Guess we will find out.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:32 AM

I love to watch NHL hockey..love it. I love my saturday night ritual of HNIC...however...it is sure getting old every few years to go through this. I do not deny anyone to make as much money as someone is willing to pay them to do a job...I'm all for it, but it is getting old to hear millionaires and billionaires argue over such incredible sums of money. maybe i'm just jealous lol.

I hope they get it worked out and the season opens up.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:41 AM

i love hnic on saturday nights last strike i drove my wife nuts on sat flipping through channels pacing lol
Old 10-16-2012, 11:57 AM
AO Sponsor

If the NHLPA doesn't accept this one, especially the 50-50 which was right in the middle of the previous two offers, I'll be on Bettman and the NHL's side :O
www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast
Old 10-16-2012, 12:19 PM
Banned

Default nhl

As much as I would like the season to get going, season tickets do me no good with no games, I still think it's too generous of an offer. Name another industry where the employess take home 50% of the revenue?! Doesn't happen. I think the owners make it hard on themselves with the rediculous deals they give players, but in the end I don't feel alot of sympathy for a guy that plays 2 shifts a night making 1.5 mil a year either. Let alone some of the 5-10 million dollar guys saying they just want what's fair, gimme a break. Bleed'em for another month and don't cave in, just my 2 cents I guess.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:10 PM

Default players try financing there own operation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBE2 View Post
As much as I would like the season to get going, season tickets do me no good with no games, I still think it's too generous of an offer. Name another industry where the employess take home 50% of the revenue?! Doesn't happen. I think the owners make it hard on themselves with the rediculous deals they give players, but in the end I don't feel alot of sympathy for a guy that plays 2 shifts a night making 1.5 mil a year either. Let alone some of the 5-10 million dollar guys saying they just want what's fair, gimme a break. Bleed'em for another month and don't cave in, just my 2 cents I guess.
well put, try financing a new arena boys and having to give up 1/2 to your employess LOL
Old 10-17-2012, 09:30 AM
Banned

NHL releases full proposal made to the players

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...e-players.html
Old 10-17-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeky View Post
well put, try financing a new arena boys and having to give up 1/2 to your employess LOL
Taxpayers finance most of the arenas.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:52 AM

it's still going to be a long time before they see my hard earn money
Old 10-17-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Taxpayers finance most of the arenas.

Not so JohninAB.

Of 6 canadian teams, the one arena (Pengrowth Saddledome) is owned by the taxpayer (City Of Calgary). The other 5 are all privately owned: Leafs Air Canada Centre/MLSECanucks Pacific Coliseum/Canucks Sports And EntertainmentCanadiens Bell Center/Molson Family Jets MTS Centre/True North Sports And Entertainment Oilers Rexall Place/Rexall Sports .

City Of Edmonton is dropping $125 mil towards the new Edmonton Downtown Arena and the Katz Group $100 mil, rest coming from user fees and provincial and federal coffers. But that’s down the road aways.

“tongue in cheek” comments pertain to being highly unlikely for a player or players to come up with 450 million (and all the financial hoops of fire) to build just one arena. There pockets and collaborative moxy just ain't deep enough!

Last edited by creeky; 10-17-2012 at 01:00 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-17-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Not so JohninAB.

Of 6 canadian teams, the one arena (Pengrowth Saddledome) is owned by the taxpayer (City Of Calgary). The other 5 are all privately owned: Leafs Air Canada Centre/MLSECanucks Pacific Coliseum/Canucks Sports And EntertainmentCanadiens Bell Center/Molson Family Jets MTS Centre/True North Sports And Entertainment Oilers Rexall Place/Rexall Sports .

City Of Edmonton is dropping $125 mil towards the new Edmonton Downtown Arena and the Katz Group $100 mil, rest coming from user fees and provincial and federal coffers. But that’s down the road aways.

“tongue in cheek” comments pertain to being highly unlikely for a player or players to come up with 450 million (and all the financial hoops of fire) to build just one arena. There pockets and collaborative moxy just ain't deep enough!

You are trying to tell me Rexall owns the arena in Edmonton? Best research that a bit before making such statements.

The $125 mil the City of Edmonton is putting into this new arena, where does that money come from???? Provincial or federal money?????? Province has already stated they are not funding arenas.

Most arenas in the states have major tax dollars invested in them.

Without the players, pretty hard for an owner to sell out a hockey game.

Last edited by JohninAB; 10-17-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:36 PM

I have had it with the NHL... I will still watch on TV but will not buy another jersey, hat, or anything... the greed is getting ridiculous... whatever happened to playing hockey for the sport... I hope they come to an agreement, but they will not see another red cent out of me
Old 10-17-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
You are trying to tell me Rexall owns the arena in Edmonton? Best research that a bit before making such statements.

The $125 mil the City of Edmonton is putting into this new arena, where does that money come from???? Provincial or federal money?????? Province has already stated they are not funding arenas.

Northlands owns Rexall, my bad.

Your still missing the point

Last edited by creeky; 10-17-2012 at 02:33 PM. Reason: double post
Old 10-17-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:

Replacement players, there's lot's of em.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Northlands owns Rexall, my bad.

Your still missing the point
I am not missing anything when you said the hockey team owners own the buildings etc. That is hardly the case. Owners are jsut as greedy as the players and in fact this whole issue of player salaries is the owners own doing. IE Shea Weber

How much does an owner make selling jerseys with a players name on the back???

Don't think many are going to pay $125 a seat plus to watch a bunch of no names play hockey. Just ain't going to happen. If that was the case, beer leagues be sold out every night.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:10 PM
Banned

Bwahahaha

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...se-letter.html
Old 10-18-2012, 11:13 PM
AO Sponsor

Wow...total greed by the players today...their claim they just want to play and want to play for the fans etc is such bogus...12% reduction in pay, avg salary is 2.5mill, so instead of 2.5mill getting paid 2.2mill, oh no!

I'm disgusted by them all, they are doing what millions of kids and even adults for that matter wishes they could by playing hockey for a living and won't reduce their salary by 12% in the first year (and it can be made back should revenues continue to grow), what a joke.

I was on the players side, but definitely on the NHL's side now!

Old 10-18-2012, 11:21 PM

Agreed David, Fehr has them drinking his Kool Aid alright, if they end up sitting out the season they will be out a hell of alot more than 12%, IDIOTIC!!!
Old 10-19-2012, 12:37 AM

You know, i never thought I'd say this but I'm ready to throw in the towel with the NHL. I have been a dedicated fan for 30 years but this BS has gotten beyond sickening. If avid fans like myself feel this way and are ready to turn our backs on the sport what are the occasional fans going to do. NHL hockey has started to gain a more dedicated following in the US the last few years but is still the 5th or 6th most followed pro sport yet the players enjoy gauranteed contracts and an average yearly salary higher than that of NFL players who's contracts aren't even gauranteed. With that said this still isn't enough for these greedy D-bags. To me anything less than an 82 game season is pointless and as far as I'm concerned they can all rot in Russia or Europe. The NHL barely survived the last lockout and it's to fresh in many fans memories to expect us to wait around for them on another. Primidonna jerks have no idea how good they have it...thanks for letting me rant on this
Old 10-19-2012, 05:42 AM

I say to the owners hire scabs and lets go. By scabs I mean the young guys being displaced in the lower leagues. I have a friend who's son was and has been making a living off playing hockey in the US for about 3 years. Fiancé, new baby and all he is now out of a job because of the ripple effects of this deal. It is bs. NHL should go ahead with or with out these players. There would be a line up of good talent to watch.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:25 AM

The last time I got a free ticket to a flames game ( I would never buy one) the fellow I was with said he has seen better senior hockey. So maybe replacement players is not bad. The best thing about the game I went to was the girls cleaning the ice. Maybe they should get the raise.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
The last time I got a free ticket to a flames game ( I would never buy one) the fellow I was with said he has seen better senior hockey. So maybe replacement players is not bad. The best thing about the game I went to was the girls cleaning the ice. Maybe they should get the raise.
right you are, those girls do a fine job. WHL is far better hockey, for that matter so is my grandsons team, theyare atom age.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:21 AM
Banned

What exactly is the 50/50 revenure sharing? If I give you a contract for 5 mill a year, do you not get paid your 5 mill regardless of how much the team makes and no a dime more?
Old 10-19-2012, 09:29 AM
Banned

Default nhl

Replacement players??? Give yer heads a shake man. I am now fully in support of the owners, as stated before, there is no other business/industry where the employees get 50% or more of the revenue, rediculous. But saying that juniors and AHL players would fill the seats, won't happen, ever. The last Red Deer Rebels game I was at was at about 40% capacity, and those tickets cost about 20% of an NHL stub. AHL players wouldn't get much more than that, and that wouldn't cover salaries. The WHL used to be my league of preference as they were hungrier and gave it 110% every night..but now with the trickle down or up affect of rules taking most contact or aggressive play out of the game, it has almost become the Won't Hit League as the NHL is the No Hit League. The WHL on average is not near as entertaining as it was 10-15yrs ago, and has even continued to degrade the last 5. Anyways, got off topic a bit. In Canada the fans will come back, the guys that say they won't spend another dollar, you won't be missed, those are just facts. Most tickets in Alberta are corporate, and there are people waiting to take your good seats if you give up your season tix, just how it is. They may lose a bit of the fan growth they have built in the US, but does it really matter if there are 7,000 fans at a Carolina vs Florida game instead of 9,000? Not really. The teams that struggle will continue to struggle, Canadian and well off teams will go back to business as usual. It's not like we are going to switch our support to the NBA (cold day in he//) or soccer...and if that happens, get your sh*t together because armageddon can't be far behind!!! Just my 2 cents...
Old 10-19-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
The NHL's offer is a six-year deal, with a mutual option for a seventh, that would see owners and players split hockey-related revenues down the middle. It also included a provision to ensure players receive everything they've been promised on existing contracts, although some of that money would come in deferred payments that would count against the players' overall share in revenue.
So, the NHL says they'll "honor" the current player contracts. . .but the owners wouldn't have to pay all of the players yearly salary right away, they will be allowed to defer a portion of it. . .then when they do finally pay out the rest of the salary. . .they take that sum off the total of the so called 50/50 revenue sharing?

Quote:
2012/13 Payroll Range: Lower Limit = $43.9 Million

Midpoint = $51.9 Million

Upper Limit = $59.9 Million
Oh and even though there is a projected year-over-year growth in revenues of 5% and they've had record revenues over the last few years. . .the players have to take a pay cut again? The salary cap for the 2012/13 year was suppose to be $70.2 mill per team, which they will be allowed to spend, but just for the one year then drop to a max of $59.9 mill. . .

The Oilers salary cap payroll is projected to be just over $49 mill for the 2013/14 season WITHOUT including the salary to resign 10 players (Gagner-RFA, Paajarvi-RFA, Jones-UFA, Hordichuk-UFA, Petrell-UFA, Whitney-UFA, Smid-UFA, Sutton-UFA, Peckham-RFA, Khabibulin-UFA). If they resign those players at the same rate of pay they are suppose to get for the 2012/13 season, next season, that's easily $20 mill, and I doubt Gagner will take anything less then $4 mill a season with the salaries they handed to the other young guys.

I don't know, I know I'd be pretty angry if my boss said, "Yeah. . .we're not going to pay you your entire salary this month. . .BUT good news! We'll give it to you at Christmas time with your Christmas bonus!. . .But we'll take the amount of your deferred pay off the total of your bonus. . .sound good?? Oh and we have to cut payroll by 15% so yeah. . .you probably won't be getting the negotiated wage we agreed upon." Sorry that would not go over well with me at all.

Damn those millionaire hockey players for asking for a portion of the revenue to the billionaires that was driven by their performance. So what if they generated the revenues, so what that without the players there would be no revenue what so ever, how selfish can they be?? I mean the billionaire owners have to pay large sums to operate facilities -
Quote:
The Oilers paid Northlands $1 in rent and roughly $1 million in operating costs per year, much less than the $2.8 million Pocklington had paid. At the same time, the Oilers got to keep the ticket tax for all hockey games, which gave the team roughly $2 million more per year. The team also got naming rights to the building, 1,000 revenue-generating parking stalls, all suite revenue and 25 per cent of gross food and beverage sales for hockey.
(all while not having to pay for employees or repair/maintenance) but damn those players for being so fricken selfish!!
Old 10-19-2012, 12:01 PM

The irony of the situation is entertaining at least. The owners continually out do each other to secure a winning team by signing over huge contracts to players. Then, when the bill gets too high they run back to Bettman and the league to save themselves from who? Themselves......lol. Do I have any sympathy for these owners as a collective group....nope. I ask myself, who are the greedy ones? Both.

The fans (ticket cost) and the taxpayers (arena funding) are the big losers. If only more of the money would go into the sustainability of the league and less into big pockets.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:25 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumRugby View Post

I don't know, I know I'd be pretty angry if my boss said, "Yeah. . .we're not going to pay you your entire salary this month. . .BUT good news! We'll give it to you at Christmas time with your Christmas bonus!. . .But we'll take the amount of your deferred pay off the total of your bonus. . .sound good?? Oh and we have to cut payroll by 15% so yeah. . .you probably won't be getting the negotiated wage we agreed upon." Sorry that would not go over well with me at all.
Yeah, but you aren't making 2.5 mill a year on avg. And 67% of your bosses aren't losing money...BIG difference.