Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

View Poll Results: Have you applied for a zone you never hunted or visited before.
Yes 92 52.87%
No 82 47.13%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-23-2015, 09:52 AM

Default Drawing for unknown WMU?

Just a question.

Why would anyone apply for a zone they have never hunted in, let alone ever visited the area? I'm not saying its right or wrong, just wondering.

I myself would check out the zone personally before putting in a draw.

A long time ago, when the draws were a little differently selected as now, I remember a buddy put in his first choice and then if he wasn't drawn for that choice, the computer selected an area. He was drawn in Wilmore Wilderness. LMAO. No horse and no knowledge of the area at all. Lived down south and ended up not going.

So just curious, how many have done this and why?
Old 07-23-2015, 10:22 AM

I haven't but I'm going to. I've never hunted or been south of Calgary and would like to go down there for mule deer and antelope.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:27 AM

The only reason I clicked yes was because I drew a Suffield bull tag this year without ever being there. Other than that I only hunt one area and have forever
Old 07-23-2015, 10:36 AM

Been doing it for 6 years for turkey. Never scouted the land but have only passed by. Have family with land in 'turkey country' so I have permission already. Haven't applied for big game though without being there.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:40 AM

I never have other then the lottery tags
Old 07-23-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow_baron View Post
The only reason I clicked yes was because I drew a Suffield bull tag this year without ever being there. Other than that I only hunt one area and have forever
Wainwright and Suffield make sense, because you really can't go and scout the area.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:47 AM

Every year...gets boring hunting the same old WMU.S...Pretty much plan draws by previous year success rates...got antlered Moose on a Priorty 2 and anterless elk on a zero priority this year
Old 07-23-2015, 11:17 AM

I have met many guys where i hunt up past Calling lake who applied for moose tags without ever going there or doing some research. Just because they gave out boat load of tags in Nov. Guys as far a Medicine Hat were up for a week looking for all the moose lol.

I'm doing it this year, pulled a long standing priority to hunt elk outside of the base. But i will be making a couple scouting trips to the area to get a idea of the lay of the land. Meet some landowners face to face hopefully.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:17 AM

Applying for draws in Northern zones I've never been to with lots of Crown land is no big deal. Just a matter of putting on miles and actually "hunting ". Have done it twice and will be third time this year for moose. I much prefer spending time looking for game than hunting for permission. That, in itself, can be exhausting and costly.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:19 AM

I have done it several times. But with that being said, I will do research. If it is an area with restrictions or limitations I won't (such as the Wilmore). It is fun t see new areas.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:22 AM

I have but only for the lotteries - 438 sheep, Goat, Grizzly, etc.....
Old 07-23-2015, 11:23 AM

I have but after I have been drawn I gone and scouted it

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 07-23-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
Just a question.

Why would anyone apply for a zone they have never hunted in, let alone ever visited the area? I'm not saying its right or wrong, just wondering.

So just curious, how many have done this and why?
Absolutely and this is why:

1: Certain zones are known to have trophy animals of certain species, a great example is or use to be Cadomine, not many have actually been there but lots apply. Buffalo is another good example.

2: I like to hunt new areas and explore the country a bit, in this day and age hunting like this is becoming harder as landowners are more reluctant to give strangers permission but in the old days it wasn't too much of an issue for me anyway.

3: Different species live in dffernt areas, someone from Grand prairie cant hunt antelope there so they come to Southern AB where they likely don't know anyone

others likely have more reasons as well but I say go for it just do your homework if you know your going to pull the tag.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:07 PM

Wmu 160 when i wanted a big mulie no big deal when i had 3 months to hunt them sept till nov
Old 07-23-2015, 12:13 PM

I plan to get to know the area and some landowners.
i want a BIGG BULLLLLL ELK.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck Country View Post
Absolutely and this is why:

1: Certain zones are known to have trophy animals of certain species, a great example is or use to be Cadomine, not many have actually been there but lots apply. Buffalo is another good example.

2: I like to hunt new areas and explore the country a bit, in this day and age hunting like this is becoming harder as landowners are more reluctant to give strangers permission but in the old days it wasn't too much of an issue for me anyway.

3: Different species live in dffernt areas, someone from Grand prairie cant hunt antelope there so they come to Southern AB where they likely don't know anyone

others likely have more reasons as well but I say go for it just do your homework if you know your going to pull the tag.
Makes sense, but am still shocked at vote results. Thought it would be a lot less.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:40 PM

I think vote results would be less other than the Lottery and Antelope tags.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:51 PM

Yup I have....for antelope but I had permission before I went because I knew someone in the zone.

I have hunted in the Wainwright base too...without being there before.

LC
Old 07-23-2015, 06:10 PM

It's just easier to apply and know nothing about the zone and then ask for permission and where to hunt on here though lol
Old 07-23-2015, 07:19 PM

Pulled a tag in a zone I had permission on private land but never visited before.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:30 PM

Default unknowns

Sure! I applied for Zama bison, and Cypress Hills elk. Had never been through either before.
I sure wasn't going to drive 15 hours to scout zama,even after I had the tag in hand. I did as much work ahead of time quizzing oilfield operators I knew, and also called the local Fish and Wildlife office to try and get a good starting point. Worked out just fine!
Old 07-23-2015, 08:44 PM

Drew my bull moose tag in a zone I haven't hunted...but a fellow I work with has hunted it lots and pointed out where to go. He has shot his bull every time he draws. Will be doing some camping in the area and poke around this summer.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:42 PM

Never went to Wilmore until I drew a goat, never went south of Medicine Hat until I drew an antelope. Not very many goats or antelope in Manning!
Old 07-23-2015, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3589 View Post
Drew my bull moose tag in a zone I haven't hunted...but a fellow I work with has hunted it lots and pointed out where to go. He has shot his bull every time he draws. Will be doing some camping in the area and poke around this summer.
X2......my dad is in the same boat with a P12 this year.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:20 PM

I prefer to hunt an area I'm familiar with, so I stick mainly to the familiar, or else go to get an idea of what I'll be up against before applying.

It did seem when the draws got announced that there were an awful lot of people saying "Does anyone know anything about WMU###? I got drawn there for...."

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 07-23-2015, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntingAlberta View Post
I think vote results would be less other than the Lottery and Antelope tags.
maybe should have put that option in.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
X2......my dad is in the same boat with a P12 this year.
X3 I have been through the zone I have drew my P10 on for bull moose. I have never hunted it period but I know for sure there are big moose there.
To the OP the computer never randomly selected any draw for anyone in the 18yrs I have been applying for draws starting with metal tags & booklets.

I will be drawing my mule tag in a zone I never hunted either next year. Wish me the best of luck as that bs isn't required.
Thanks for contribution but if I needed to know every zone North to south to make a game plan up you are very mistaken my friend. I love hunting & meeting new ppl.

Thanks though raptor
Old 07-24-2015, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap Shot View Post
X3 I have been through the zone I have drew my P10 on for bull moose. I have never hunted it period but I know for sure there are big moose there.
To the OP the computer never randomly selected any draw for anyone in the 18yrs I have been applying for draws starting with metal tags & booklets.

I will be drawing my mule tag in a zone I never hunted either next year. Wish me the best of luck as that bs isn't required.
Thanks for contribution but if I needed to know every zone North to south to make a game plan up you are very mistaken my friend. I love hunting & meeting new ppl.

Thanks though raptor
Good luck on your moose Quest !
Old 07-24-2015, 07:05 AM

"Google earth scouting" and topo maps. Certainly not like being there, but it works.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:08 AM

WMU 404 last year - did lots of map work and Google Earth study. Still had a hard time with it and came home empty handed.

They don't get big by being dumb.