Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-30-2019, 07:31 AM

Default 10mm recommendations

Any recommendations on a pistol in 10mm? Looks like the Glock 20 & 40 are popular choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2019, 09:33 AM

A few choices here:

https://www.gunworld.com/guns/ten-sa...-10mm-pistols/
Old 04-30-2019, 09:41 AM

If you buy one you’ll have to post a review, I don’t have a 10mm but the thought of buying one is interesting. As far as Glocks go I do have a model 22 in .40 and I like it.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:50 AM

The good news is, there are more choices today than ever.

I have owned 2 Glock 20's, a gen 2 and a gen 4, and couldn't learn to love either. I'm 6'-3"and have larger than average hands, but something about the G20 just doesn't feel right to me. Maybe if we could have full capacity magazines, and carry them back country I'd make it work.

I've looked at a G40 a couple of times, and it kind of bothers me that the forward dust cover has no metal inserts or stiffeners and curves upwards and rides against the slide. I'm not saying this would even cause any kind of problem, other than maybe some extra wear to the dust cover, but it looks flimsy and just kinda bugs me.

I have a Colt Delta Elite, which I think I'll be keeping, shoots well, holds 8 rounds standard capacity, and is a nice looking gun. I think they are a bit pricey right now, as in $1,600 or so.

P&D has a Ruger SR1911 in 10mm at the moment for $1,199 I think. That gun has a bull barrel and full length guide rod, and is reputed to have very good chamber support for hot loads.

On the issue of chamber support, the Delta Elite does not have full chamber support so some people recommend not using hot loads as the brass may give way at the unsupported portion of the case head. I have fired the hottest stuff that's available as factory loads and have noticed no issues with the brass bulging at the case heads. My Glock on the other hand would bulge quite badly with most factory 10mm ammo, and people like to think of it as a gun that can handle hot loads....so go figure. In fact, I most of the brass that I shot through my last G20 I would consider unsuitable for reloading, and all of my Delta brass is perfectly fine and shows no visible bulge. the Ruger SR1911 in 10mm should be better in this regard though.

If you like polymer, there's the new Springfield XDM in 10mm in 4.25" and 5" configuration, but these seem to run more than a Glock 20 in Canada for some reason.

Phoenix in Edmonton has a Sig P220 Elite in a camo dip finish for $1,700 I think, which is a nice heavy weight, all steel platform if you don't want a 1911.

I believe you can get a Grand Power GP40? if you order one in. The Grand Power has a rotating barrel lockup similar to a Beretta Storm I think and might be an interesting option.

There are some Ruger revolvers too, P&D had a Super Redhawk a few weeks ago, and there's one at Wild West right now. The Super Redhawk has a top strap setup for Ruger scope rings and comes with 3 moon clips for shooting 40S&W, so there's the advantage of cheaper ammo....I think it's around $1,200 too.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakoShooter View Post
The good news is, there are more choices today than ever.

I have owned 2 Glock 20's, a gen 2 and a gen 4, and couldn't learn to love either. I'm 6'-3"and have larger than average hands, but something about the G20 just doesn't feel right to me. Maybe if we could have full capacity magazines, and carry them back country I'd make it work.

I've looked at a G40 a couple of times, and it kind of bothers me that the forward dust cover has no metal inserts or stiffeners and curves upwards and rides against the slide. I'm not saying this would even cause any kind of problem, other than maybe some extra wear to the dust cover, but it looks flimsy and just kinda bugs me.

I have a Colt Delta Elite, which I think I'll be keeping, shoots well, holds 8 rounds standard capacity, and is a nice looking gun. I think they are a bit pricey right now, as in $1,600 or so.

P&D has a Ruger SR1911 in 10mm at the moment for $1,199 I think. That gun has a bull barrel and full length guide rod, and is reputed to have very good chamber support for hot loads.

On the issue of chamber support, the Delta Elite does not have full chamber support so some people recommend not using hot loads as the brass may give way at the unsupported portion of the case head. I have fired the hottest stuff that's available as factory loads and have noticed no issues with the brass bulging at the case heads. My Glock on the other hand would bulge quite badly with most factory 10mm ammo, and people like to think of it as a gun that can handle hot loads....so go figure. In fact, I most of the brass that I shot through my last G20 I would consider unsuitable for reloading, and all of my Delta brass is perfectly fine and shows no visible bulge. the Ruger SR1911 in 10mm should be better in this regard though.

If you like polymer, there's the new Springfield XDM in 10mm in 4.25" and 5" configuration, but these seem to run more than a Glock 20 in Canada for some reason.

Phoenix in Edmonton has a Sig P220 Elite in a camo dip finish for $1,700 I think, which is a nice heavy weight, all steel platform if you don't want a 1911.

I believe you can get a Grand Power GP40? if you order one in. The Grand Power has a rotating barrel lockup similar to a Beretta Storm I think and might be an interesting option.

There are some Ruger revolvers too, P&D had a Super Redhawk a few weeks ago, and there's one at Wild West right now. The Super Redhawk has a top strap setup for Ruger scope rings and comes with 3 moon clips for shooting 40S&W, so there's the advantage of cheaper ammo....I think it's around $1,200 too.

Very good info. Much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2019, 05:14 PM

Heh. I have a bit of a 10mm problem 😐
Old 04-30-2019, 05:27 PM
Banned

Old 04-30-2019, 06:50 PM

Regarding a 10mm revolver, 10 mm cartridges will headspace on the case mouth so moon clips are not needed though it does aid in ejection as the ejector will not grab the rims of the 10mm as it isn't rimmed like most revolver cartridges. For 40 Smith & Wesson you will need to use Moon clips as the cartridge case is around 3mm shorter, but I probably use Moon clips 4 both cartridges anyways.

I would not shoot 40 Smith & Wesson in a 10mm 1911, though it's very common to shoot them in a Glock 20 as many feel that the extractor holds the cartridge head against the slide firmly enough, and the Glock firing pin seems to ignite primers reliably. If you reload cost is similar for both cartridges, but 10 mm brass is going to be more expensive to procure and in my experience 10mm brass from a glock is not reloadable.

If I were buying a 10mm today I would almost certainly be buying the Ruger SR1911 for $1,200 as I believe it's that much better then a Glock20 for $850.

I think that Phoenix actually has an STI Perfect 10, which is another bull barreled 1911 type for around $2,300, but for me I don't see the value over the Ruger, and both are fairly similar in features I think.

You'll love 10mm, especially on steel where it will swing plates that a 9mm will barely tickle. Recoil is not painful of course, but it is much more challenging to control.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:46 PM

I am a 10mm fan as well, lots of good info here. It should also be noted that an aftermarket barrel can fix the brass issues with the Glocks. I have one on my 29 and with the fully supported chamber the brass come out pristine.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:56 PM

Speaking of aftermarket barrels, you can buy a Glock 21 (45acp) and buy an aftermarket 10mm barrel to get 2 pistols for the price of one + $250 or so. I think if I ever decide to go Glock again for 10mm that will be my approach since you get a supported 10mm barrel, and you can shoot 45acp with the factory barrel, which doesn't need the chamber support due to the lower chamber pressures of the 45acp.
Springs and slide stay the same, you might need to buy mags as I'm not sure that 10mm will work in a 45 mag, but Glock brand mags are $40 ish, and magpul mags are $30.

10mm aftermarket barrels for the Glock 21 are easy to find and I know I've seen some in stock in an Edmonton shop recently. Just another option to think about, and one that is still cheaper than say, a Ruger sr1911.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakoShooter View Post
Springs and slide stay the same, you might need to buy mags as I'm not sure that 10mm will work in a 45 mag, but Glock brand mags are $40 ish, and magpul mags are $30.
Magpul only lists 9mm Glock magazines on their website: no .40 S&W, no .45 ACP nor 10mm.

I’ve been looking at 10mm’s since I sold my Colt Delta Elite. The 6” barrel 1911 models by various manufacturers appeal to me. Kimber has the Super Jagare, Remington has their R1 Hunter Long Slide which almost seems that they have put their name on the Para Elite Hunter LS now that they own them. I handled some Rock Island Armory 1911’s at a gun show where the booth adjacent me was selling them, they were very nicely made even though they’re made in the Philippines; Rock Island offers a few 10mm models and even has them available in higher capacity double-stack magazine configurations (16 rounds where legal). I figure with 10mm one might as well make the best of it with as long a barrel as is practical, and a little extra mass helps tame recoil. The 5.25” Springfield XDM is nice, it would be nicer as a 6” though . About a decade back I had an XD in .40 S&W that I liked.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:30 PM

Sako Shooter nailed it. The Colt Delta Elite is a great platform, but for my money I'd go with the Sig P220 ....just because I like them.

I don't have a 10mm though, I skipped that and went right to a pair of 41 magnum revolvers......i still need to get a 10 though. Some day.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-03-2019, 07:29 AM

I believe I saw a 10mm Sig P220 in a camo pattern finish at the Calgary Shooting Centre, if the camo isn’t up your alley they also make it in a Legion eerie pistol too. I wonder if Sig will ever release the high-cap P227 .45 ACP in a 10mm chambering? They have the double stack frame already so it’s not a stretch.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:51 AM

I've never owned a 10mm, but I sure thought long and hard about picking up one of the Ruger SR1911s in that choice.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:05 PM

Have one in a kimber target 2 i had one ejector fail when it was new but since has had thousands of rounds through it issue free and is a very accurate pistol
I love the 10mm only downside is cost of ammo i reload most of mine but man i am not a fan of sifting the sand for brass after a range session lol