Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-26-2020, 09:24 AM

Nikon reticle does seem a bit busy there, I balked on Nikon due to their getting out of scope. I do have an older 6.5-20 I used on my 32-40, works very well. Even a Tremor 3 doesn't seem as busy as that. The Riton reticle does make sense after watching a vid comparing it to the Vortex. Zeiss has a new one in their line this year,ZMOA1 and ZBR, they look useable.

This is the DLR1, granted it is an LR reticle for FFP, but, for range work, it made sense and it was pretty simple.
Old 07-26-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
This is the reticle on 8x at a 200m gong. Really easy to acquire a target and it took me 5 shots to sight in and I was banging the 200m gong with every shot. Using a semi-auto .223 with 45gr Winchester Whitebox Ammo.

I realize this reticle won’t be for everyone but on the style of firearm it’s on the fit and function is perfect!

LC

LC were you there yesterday? Thought I saw you roll down to the range when I was driving out of the archery range lane.
That setup looks pretty sweet. Is that a kodiak?
Old 07-26-2020, 11:33 AM

The Leupold LR reticle is my favourite hunting reticle.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-26-2020, 06:28 PM

Yes. He had a thing for shooting muzzleloaders to 500 yards and beyond as well and was VERY accomplished at it.
Old 07-26-2020, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
No particular issues with any of the regular crosshair reticles I've used, Leupold Duplex, Nikon fine cross, single dot. Zeiss Z600 & 800 are OK, Swaro BRH is ok, both are useable. I have a Delta Stryker FFP with a DLR1 reticle, like that so far. I can see the value of the Horus type reticles in competitions or military apps, but, you'd have to work with it a lot to remember how to work it. Looked at an Athlon Cronus with the APRS IRMIL, was interesting, but, settled on the DLR1, bit simpler. Some of the reticles don't seem logical to me, There sure are a pile of weird and wonderful ideas out there.
How do you like the Stryker? I'm trying to decide between getting one or another Sightron.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:11 PM

Default Love seeing people use Riton Reticles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
This is the reticle on 8x at a 200m gong. Really easy to acquire a target and it took me 5 shots to sight in and I was banging the 200m gong with every shot. Using a semi-auto .223 with 45gr Winchester Whitebox Ammo.

I realize this reticle won’t be for everyone but on the style of firearm it’s on the fit and function is perfect!

LC
Full disclosure... I work for Riton and was on team that put together the propriety line of reticles! The OT is a great for close quarter combat and so much more. You can utilize the OT as a BDC the way its set up. You will need to know all your data and bam! Impact. Reach out to me with any questions.
Thanks!!!
Old 07-27-2020, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I also like the B&C, have one mounted on my 7mm08 and it seems to be right on the money for it. Shooting 140 gr at 2875.

I also have a Leica ER scope with the fine reticle that I really like (mounted on a 7mm RM), you can see it clearly but doesn't cover the target at longer ranges.
I worked for Bushnell for several years. i can tell you that 99% of the whole company has never owned or shot a rifle in any caliber as an adult, period.........LOL

Same with nikon, same with Burris, pretty sure the Leupold fellow never shoots, browning rep never shot, and the Weatherby guy never shot, all are or were sales people not outdoors people
Old 07-27-2020, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmac View Post
How do you like the Stryker? I'm trying to decide between getting one or another Sightron.
No beefs, does what it is supposed to do, and on the Black Friday sales last fall, it was under 2k. I searched out everything I could on it, everything seemed positive, one airgun guy didn't like the parallax adj. After looking at various 6-24x whatevers, I'd determined I wanted a 56mm FFP with a good reticle, it fit the bill with a lot of good featuresand a bit more power, which is likely overboard, but what the H?. I think it was a good deal, Couldn't argue with it at the time, only other one I liked was the Cronus, which is essentially the same scope with a different reticle set available. They say Trijicon is building one from the same mfgr, L.O.W in Japan, and I saw some people mentioning that base L.O.W package being used elsewhere. Next step up is stuff in the 3-4000 range.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:02 PM

I will pile on the dislike for the Nikon BDC, despite how well it’s creator could use it, it’s not for me.

Seems I’ll be the first to mention my favourite: Vortex (I know: ew, yuck, it’s not Leupold, it’ll break if you look at it the wrong way, you’re going to need that warranty, you can’t go hunting with that..... sure) dead hold bdc. I find it is not too busy, yet offers quick shot opportunities out to 500ish yards if necessary. Is it the same as dialling, no, but when trying to hit within a 10” circle out to 500 yards, it’s pretty darned easy.
Old 08-05-2020, 10:02 PM

For me I like the Tremor 3 reticle, it has a lot going on but once you get to know it (I'm still learning more about it) you can use it to it's full advantage when you don't have time to adjust turrets. It still has an ultra small dot at the center of the reticle for shooting bench rest or when you are developing your rifle loads.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:17 AM

I found the Tremor reticles to be really interesting, but, there is a lot to learn and remember on them. It's one of those have to use it all the time or you'll forget the tricks reticles. It has one heck of a lot of thought put into it.

One I've been reading/hearing about quite a bit lately, is Primary Arms, this vid explains their thought line pretty well, and it is a well thought out reticle as well, not real sure about their scopes, but, people seem happy with them;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nClFaEerLz8&t=3s
Old 08-07-2020, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Those I like - Varmint gun, Mil-Dot reticle. Hunting rifles, Swaro BRH or BRX and Leupold Boone and Crockett. Prior to these I had and still have quite a few Leupold Duplex and still like them on scopes that I twist dials on.

Mil_Dot

Boone and Crockett

Swaro BRX

Dislike, Same as so many others, Nikon BDC and those like it. The REALLY busy Rifle scopes with a bazillion hash marks both vertically and horizontally. Way to hard to use.

One of the worst

What can you possibly so with all these tiny little hash marks.

I think I agree 100% here - I have the Mil Dot on a few of my varmint and 22's and they are great.

For hunting I have Swaro's BRX, and Leupold's with Boone and Crocket are great. Simple Christmas trees and there's not too much overthinking when time could be a factor on taking a shot.

I also have a Ziess RZ 800 which is a little too busy, and should have stayed where I was (but it was a great deal). I will likely swap that out this year.

As far the last two on the bottom - yeah - lol - for steel or paper that doesn't move and if you have time to figure it out - those would be great ……… only for paper or steel. Then again, if I had that much time, I could range, dial the turrets anyways.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
My Sightron reticle, the dot is .25 MOA at X24. Love it for target shooting.

MOA-2-Reticle by Piker Golf, on Flickr
This!
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:14 AM

Just for FYI interest, a podcast interview with a fella that now works at Zero Compromise and worked at Nightforce for a long time, discusses a lot of industry quirks on FFP scopes, reticles, magnification ranges and related quirks.

Takes a minute to load, good podcast though;

https://theeverydaysniper.podbean.co...ics-interview/
Old 08-15-2020, 04:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Those I like - Varmint gun, Mil-Dot reticle. Hunting rifles, Swaro BRH or BRX and Leupold Boone and Crockett. Prior to these I had and still have quite a few Leupold Duplex and still like them on scopes that I twist dials on.

Mil_Dot

Boone and Crockett

Swaro BRX

Dislike, Same as so many others, Nikon BDC and those like it. The REALLY busy Rifle scopes with a bazillion hash marks both vertically and horizontally. Way to hard to use.

One of the worst

What can you possibly so with all these tiny little hash marks.

With all those tiny little hash marks, you can easily range your target, as well as precisely use holds instead of dialing every time your distance changes. They are extremely effective and used by a lot of military units. I have one in the FFP and luv it. If my hold is 8.3 mills, its very easy to hold that accurately. Easier than dialing. Same is true for windage.
Old 08-17-2020, 12:56 AM

New US Army reticle;

https://techlinkcenter.org/technolog...e-a252da7b169b