Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-25-2019, 05:25 PM

Default Neglecting to clean your rifle results in this...

A guy I know asks me to look at his rifle because it "might need a good cleaning and the trigger was acting up this fall".

Oh my.

A picture is worth more than a thousand words.

People, learn how to take care of your firearms.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2019, 05:51 PM

Nothing a squirt of wd40 wont fix
Old 03-25-2019, 06:16 PM

Holy crap. Some people shouldn’t own guns.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:40 PM

How do you prevent the results in the last picture? I’ve yet to find anything that completely eliminates this in a rifle that goes outside.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-25-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
How do you prevent the results in the last picture? I’ve yet to find anything that completely eliminates this in a rifle that goes outside.
I have never seen rust like that on a scope tube under the rings. It almost looks like the scope was used for a lapping bar.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:09 PM
Banned

Lol, I had a neighbor bring me his rem 760 because it kept jamming. It looked 10x worse than that. I literally had to start by scraping the crust off it.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Chuck, I am guessing we are close in age. I have never seen a scope like that and I have hunted in the pouring rain many times.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:11 PM

Hate to see that... but check this out. Wife’s uncle said his bolt was sticky. I said bring it over I’ll Clean it up and we can head to the range to get it ready for deer season ..... oh boy. Made me a little sick. Felt bad for the gun ,it had started life as a beautiful browning 270. I offered to strip the stock and even offered a spare scope I had. “”Nah that’s ok it’s a straight shooter “”
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 57663544-90D7-496F-B9DA-0446D4A3FDE8.jpg (17.3 KB, 615 views)
Old 03-25-2019, 10:13 PM

Another pic. Horrible pitting
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 60ED3925-B252-4969-9795-7DEF4540F02B.jpg (19.0 KB, 517 views)
Old 03-25-2019, 10:19 PM

I did oil and clean The bolt and pulled all Sorts of pine needles and stuff from inside the action and under the barrel. The bore was ok but used lots of solvent and also worked the safety and trigger a lot as it was also suspect.

I sanded and reblued the barrel. It was much better but I’d like to do that little rifle justice and fully redo it.

Here’s a pic of the barrel with pits sanded out and re blued.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13E742AA-1814-46C2-AD06-D2FABF87F108.jpg (10.8 KB, 358 views)
Old 03-26-2019, 05:46 AM

Default then there's

The idiot that electro-pencils his full name ,DL or SIN # all over the receiver and wood on his formally collectable rifle.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:03 AM

Question for you guys, do you lub the inside mech. of the bolt? If so what do you use?

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-26-2019, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Chuck, I am guessing we are close in age. I have never seen a scope like that and I have hunted in the pouring rain many times.
That rust is transfer from the rings. How do you prevent rust from forming on the inside of the rings. I’m curious.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-26-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Question for you guys, do you lub the inside mech. of the bolt? If so what do you use?
Eesox

-Billy Molls
Old 03-26-2019, 06:50 AM

If that was a .22 it'd probably shoot even better.

Title of this thread should be "Neglecting to STORE your rifle properly results in this..."

Kinda looks like a horse - rode hard and put away wet.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:35 AM

here is a link to a firearm industry product lubricity and corrosion resistance test. this is a few years old and may not include newer formulations.
http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667
Old 03-26-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Those gouge marks on that scope are from twisting the scope in the rings. The rust on the scope is what rubbed off the ring onto the scope.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
That rust is transfer from the rings. How do you prevent rust from forming on the inside of the rings. I’m curious.
Use Talley lightweights.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Curious is good. I've never had rust inside of my rings. Scratches yes. Rust no.

Please don't tell me I haven't hunted in the rain and not had a place to dry out my gun, cuz that would just be silly.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCub View Post
Those gouge marks on that scope are from twisting the scope in the rings. The rust on the scope is what rubbed off the ring onto the scope.
yep
Old 03-26-2019, 08:07 AM

I have had folks bring me guns to clean up in way worse shape than that...one savage 30-06 had so much rust in the bore and chamber the barrel had to be set back and chamber recut. That one was stored in a soft case in an unheated garage.. Owner said it was only like that for a week or so but I guessed it more like a year based on the pitting. I've had trigger groups that the owners used oil to " protect it" decades ago which resulted in thick crud that had to be scraped off. I've seen so much built up crud in actions that the bolt wouldn't close. I've seen a few old rifles with action screws so rusted they snapped while trying to remove them.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barsik View Post
here is a link to a firearm industry product lubricity and corrosion resistance test. this is a few years old and may not include newer formulations.
http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667
As we speak I am doing an experiment on Ballistol and my results so far are way different than his.

I drilled a divot in some rusty steel and rubbed it good with Ballistol. It started to remove the rust on the outside right away. I poured water in the divot and surrounding area and it immediately turned a milky white (emulsified). Left it sitting outside and the sun evaporated the water out of the Ballistol and the divot is still shines. Going to leave it out in the environment for a while and see what happens. So far it’s been 2 weeks in the moisture from the evenings and small showers. Divot is still shines.
His testing show Ballistol corroding in 24 hrs. I wonder why my test won’t do that?
Want something to protect my rifles from the coastal environment. So far I like what I see with Ballistol. Looks like it will hold off the rust bugs until I can get home after a hunting trip in a week of wet weather to get it dry.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Curious is good. I've never had rust inside of my rings. Scratches yes. Rust no.

Please don't tell me I haven't hunted in the rain and not had a place to dry out my gun, cuz that would just be silly.
How do you dry under your rings? Or prevent oxidation from occurring?

-Billy Molls
Old 03-26-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Chuck you already know the answer!
On the occasion my rifle and gear get soaked, they get completely stripped after the hunt is done. That could mean dis-assembling the bolt, removing the trigger group, remove the stock and scope, rings and bases. I do my best not to have to go through this process until the season is over, but if need be, a few hours maintenance is better than a gun that's rusting. Another issue people forget about is dissimilar materials will oxidize when in contact (steel/aluminum). It is always a good idea to keep the paint on the scope tube and not have bare aluminum touching the rings if they are steel. Talley rings are one solution, as has been mentioned.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
Chuck you already know the answer!
On the occasion my rifle and gear get soaked, they get completely stripped after the hunt is done. That could mean dis-assembling the bolt, removing the trigger group, remove the stock and scope, rings and bases. I do my best not to have to go through this process until the season is over, but if need be, a few hours maintenance is better than a gun that's rusting. Another issue people forget about is dissimilar materials will oxidize when in contact (steel/aluminum). It is always a good idea to keep the paint on the scope tube and not have bare aluminum touching the rings if they are steel. Talley rings are one solution, as has been mentioned.
As far as I can see there is no cure. There are ways it can be mitigated, but I’ve yet to see this prevented 100% of the time. If someone has a solution I’m all ears. That said, I’ve yet to see actual pitting inside of rings so I’m not losing a ton of sleep over it.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-26-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Never ever had rust under my rings even before I used Talleys on most of my rifles. Most I ever did is wipe the gun down at night when hunting outside.

Chuck, you know a lot about guns, and have oodles of experience. That's a given. Nobody argues that. But, please don't try to make me out to be an idiot because my experience hasn't been yours. That act gets tiresome. Sometimes it seems you'd argue that others have to use the same # of pieces of toilet paper as you to get their azz spiffy clean. I for one, am just not interested in that.

My point in the thread was the same as most... boredom got the best of me. Nothing profound.

Last edited by sns2; 03-26-2019 at 09:36 AM.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:18 AM
Banned

I've never had rust in the rings either.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:33 AM
Banned

Looks like the rings were lapped....
Old 03-26-2019, 09:50 AM

This is an honest legitimate question. How do you prevent this? There are now two individuals here that say it’s preventable. So far, after removing literally hundreds of scopes from hundreds of sets of rings I’m not sure how you do it. If there is some insight I’d like to have that information.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-26-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
This is an honest legitimate question. How do you prevent this? There are now two individuals here that say it’s preventable. So far, after removing literally hundreds of scopes from hundreds of sets of rings I’m not sure how you do it. If there is some insight I’d like to have that information.
Wipe down at camp. Have never done more. Have hunted in rain many times, but not monsoons.