Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-08-2004, 10:26 PM
trappers education

Default trappers education

Just wondering if anyone knows when the trapping course takes place and any other info about it.
thanks berkley dog
Old 02-09-2004, 06:16 PM
Rob

Call the Alberta Trappers Association in Westlock at 780-349-6626 and they'll give you the info you need.

Rob
Old 02-09-2004, 08:27 PM
trapper education

Default trapper education

Thanks Rob.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:13 PM
Rob

Default Re: trapper education

No problem. If you do get signed up I can guarantee you that you will enjoy the course. It is very informative and a lot of fun. On the final Saturday of the course you will be taken out on a trapline and showed some sets and asked to complete one as well.

Hope you enjoy,
Rob
Old 02-10-2004, 03:03 PM
Morbius131

Trapping is rather interesting, I think I will look into that course, if for no other reason just to see how exactly it works. It may also help when i get lost in the bush because like Rob (don't deny it) I do get lost from time to time LOL.

Morb
Old 02-10-2004, 07:51 PM
Rob

Only once Morb . . . only once.

Rob
Old 02-11-2004, 12:36 PM
Morbius131

Right only once!!! I also caught a fish that was

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

That big (every arrow is an inch) LOL
Old 02-27-2004, 08:37 PM
JIM MITCHELL

Default Trapper Education

I thought I would add my two cents on this post. I am the coordinator for the program. Our last course for this season is in Athabasca starting Mar 1. That will be it until the fall. I can usually run about a dozen courses a year and I try to schedule them around the Province. I require 12 people ( min) for the course and someone in the location to act as the course coordinator. That person collects the registration fees and does the paperwork, puts up posters, secures a classroom and trapping area. This sounds like a lot of work, but really it is not. Once we have this magic number we are ready to go. I send two instructors and the course is 28 hours and usually runs monday to friday ( 6 to 10:30) and all day saturday. Upon completion of the course you get a certificate and then you can purchase a resident or registered licence at the Fish and Wildlife office. Anyone can trap on private land with the owners permission, so not to worry if you can't find a registered line.
Jim
Old 02-28-2004, 12:46 AM
PAD

Default Trapper Education

Jim, I see the magic number is 12. Is there any chance that a course will be held in Calgary next fall? I'm sure if the word got out that there would be one you could definitely get 12 people in the Calgary area. With my work hours I would only be able to make it if it was held in town. Is there any benefit with buying the manual in advance?
Old 02-28-2004, 12:13 PM
JIM MITCHELL

Default trapping course

Hi Pad.We did one course this year in Longview which brought three in from Calgary. The ATA has a calgary local and if a course was planned from that area it would probably be easier to organize it through the local. Contact John McWilliam at 403-247-8539 and let him know of your interest.If you wish to purchase the manual first ($15 + GST) then you deduct this amount from the course cost. There is a lot of good information in the book and I would recommend that you get it and could therefore have a chance to study up on it before the course. Get the manual through the ATA (780-349-6626). Call me for more info. if you need it at that number.
Old 02-28-2004, 03:34 PM
PAD

Default course

Thanks Jim. I phoned and bought the manual. I'll be contacting John in the near future to let him know I'm interested.