Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-12-2002, 09:36 AM
how do i gut a rabbit

Default how do i gut a rabbit

I am wondering what is the best way to gut a rabbit as i havent found a way wich is easy for me yet
Old 04-19-2002, 09:46 PM
JamesG

Default DUH!

where you put the tag one a deer, you put a nail through there and nail it to a tree or somting, so that both legs are apart and the rabbit is hanging. cut around its POOPHOLE and tie it off, split it down the stomach and let the guts fall out like a deer. remember, the ears are a delicousy, dry em out and eat them like jerky.
Old 04-21-2002, 12:24 AM
Don't say DUH!

Default Don't say DUH!

I heard or read of an unusual method once.

You make a cut into the body cavity of the rabbit (hare) in the lower part of the abdonem between the back legs. Then you start up near the neck and squeeze the body with your hands and move the hands one over the other down towards the cut area till "stuff" starts coming out. You move your hands back up to the neck area and holding the critter like a base ball bat, you swing like same. The guts go flying out away from you.

I tryed this once and it worked pretty well. I should have attempted it farther away from my buddies that I was hunting with. But it was ok, I could run faster than they could.

Robin.
Old 05-05-2002, 07:10 PM
guttin bugs bunny

Default guttin bugs bunny

A slight variation to what Duffy was sayin is to instead of swinging the rabbit like a bat, spread your legs apart like your choppin wood and swing the rabbit down between your legs letting your elbows hit your thighs, works for me.

Shrubs
Old 06-10-2002, 04:05 PM
Rabbit ears?

Default Rabbit ears?

Were you serious about the rabbit ears? I hate throwing away any part that doesn't have to be. I also agree with your method for cleaning.
Old 07-05-2002, 01:01 PM
supertwist

Default Gutting a Rabbit

We are starting our rabbitry (meat rabbits) and found a really good book: Basic Butchering of Livestock and Game. It's from Storey Publishing, ISBN 0-88266-391-7, written by John J. Mettler, Jr., DVM.
Old 07-08-2002, 12:07 PM
rabbitry

Default rabbitry

I always thought a rabbit raising would be great business because a rabbit goes for $10 a rabbit in the stores. Then i read how much a rabbit craps. A cow has about 8 lbs of manure a day and a small rabbit has a pound of manure a day. 100 rabbits and you got 100 pounds of manure a day. I think ill stick with snaring.
Old 07-09-2002, 11:20 AM
supertwist

Default Re: rabbitry

We're only raising enough for our own family, and unlike manure from other livestock, rabbit manure does not need to be composted before being added to the garden. I have a huge vegetable and an herb garden that will benefit.
Old 02-19-2003, 03:03 AM
how do i gut a rabbit

Default how do i gut a rabbit

I don't gut rabbits. I make a cut in the hide crossways in the middle of the back. Insert fingers and pull hide towards head and tail. When the skin is off, I cut the legs off and filet the back straps.

No mess, just meat. I use the great equalizer for cooking....the pressure cooker. That way they are all young.:lol
Old 12-07-2003, 05:10 PM
moshbikes2

Default rabbit

The best way I have found is the way my dad showed me is to get the fur off first. Then have a friend hold the back legs apart or put the rabbit's lower back in one hand with the back leg going up. Then cut on both sides of the tail until you feel you go through the bone then stick the knife on one side of the tail turn the blade to the other side and cut and pull up. last make a cut right blow the back legs in the middle and stick to fingers in like a deer a run all the way down to the ribs and right down the middle of them and then pull the guts out. sounds hard but do it a few time and it easy.
Old 01-25-2004, 12:54 AM
NS Beagler

Default Re: rabbit

Where are you guys hunting the rabbits?
Old 03-02-2004, 12:50 PM
Tucumseh

Default Re: rabbit

Too gut a rabbit, Duffy has the general idea. Cut his head off close to the shoulders and split the ribcage to the head. Grab em by the hind legs and give em a good flick and voila! out comes the whole gut.
If your cleaning em....do it in the bush while the bunny is nice and warm. Get your partner to hold em up by the hind legs,(spread apart) head looking at the ground and peel off the fur starting at the backs of his hind paws,and repeat the above.
The fur comes off too easy when the rabbits are still warm.
I use to carry with me an old canvas knapsack with a plastic bag inside to put my buddies in. I would give the hearts and livers to my hounds there on the spot and hang the rest of the gut high in a tree so they couldn't reach it. The hounds will hunt hard after the first treat for they know what a shot rabbit will reward them.............................................
Oh, don't I miss the good old days. (not to mention fried rabbit) hunting cottontails with hounds
( beagles) back in N.S. is a huge sport!
Old 03-07-2004, 03:41 PM
rabbits

Default rabbits

hey guys try this, it works for me

if your hunting with someone or you can find someone to help you this is a quick method.( the rabbit has to be warm still, freshly killed)
1)cut the legs off at the knees
2)have one person hold it by the back legs vertical, then have the other person slit a small patch of fur about 1/2 an inch wide by about 3 or 4 long out of the middle of the body (part way up the brisket and part way down the belly)
3)both of you grab an end of the hole cut out and grab the fur then both of you pull towards yourself and the fur will peel right off, the person on the head end peel it back half way up the neck and then cit the head off.(The person on the back should be able to peel the fur right off)
4)slit down the middle of the body cavity, just like a deer, from the hips to the brisket, drop out the guts. the only part that will be left is the intestine attached to the back, have your partner pull the back legs apart and if you have a sharp enough knife then you can cut through it (game sheers will work to)

This way you get little hair on it, its fast and you get the whole rabbit (even the ears if you want ) wash it up and enjoy!

happy hunting
model 7