Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-28-2009, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sartorius View Post
Hey, I believe tallguy. If he says he caught smallies from Island Lake, then it proves they exist.
Definatly bringing a camera (once i get one) and a gps to mark the spot next time. cheers
Old 05-28-2009, 08:10 AM

it seems were always talk en about it so many threads about bass in alberta

i am sick of hearing it and want some change to be honest i rather have lots of bass then trout
Old 05-28-2009, 10:13 AM

Oh wow, bass fishing, love it and miss it... Spent so many weekends on lakes north of Toronto...

Even just to feel the hit and fight of a sunfish would be great again. So small and skinny but fight like a bass - incredible for their size.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:39 AM

I kind of doubt it there are any left , I was there last summer , there was so much pike in that lake that I would figure they eat anyhting and everything in their way, 2 guys on a boat one afternoon fishing for just over 2.5 hours we hooked to over 150 pike, and the evening was almost as productive as well,
the next morning my wrist, arm I use to hold the rod felt like someone put a arm lock on it and tried to break it , the action was just unbelievable...,

I got a question though, what does bass taste like ???, I've never fished for those but I've seen on tv, fishing shows and how much of a fight they put on when you hook'em, looks like lots of fun.
It would be great for sure if we had a few lakes with those species large mouth or small mouth it for sure would add more excitement and choice in fishing in AB.

Cheers ,
Old 05-28-2009, 11:53 AM
Banned

Default Morph

I remember seeing an artical about a 4lb smallie being taken out of island lake. I cant remember exactly how long ago it was but I'm pretty certain it was in the last 5 years. Smallmouths share the majority of their waters with pike throught their native range, most of the lakes I've caught smalmouths in had better pike and walley fishing than the majority of albertan lakes so I dont find it hard to believe that theres still a few in island lake.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:31 PM

do any of u know if they have talked about restocking smallmouth bass in different lakes or has that not come up
Old 05-28-2009, 12:33 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse34567 View Post
do any of u know if they have talked about restocking smallmouth bass in different lakes or has that not come up
Pretty much a no non-native species stocking policy in Alberta now.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post

stupid just stupid....
Old 05-28-2009, 12:49 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
I guess I should have clarified that a bit.....a no non-native warm water species stocking policy. They are still stocking rainbows, browns and brookies but I guess they've been around long enough and are well enough established that they are part of the eco system now.

Lots of provinces have had very successful introductions of non-native species but there have been disasters as well. Every time you add a new species to an eco system, there are risks. Interestingly, BC has never stocked largemouth, they are primarily a result of illegal stocking. A few may have made their way up the Kootenay River natually from Idaho but most came in buckets! I'm not sure bass would survive in Alberta anyhow. Possibly smallmouth in some of the southern reservoirs but definitely not largemouth.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Interestingly, BC has never stocked largemouth, they are primarily a result of illegal stocking. A few may have made their way up the Kootenay River natually from Idaho but most came in buckets! I'm not sure bass would survive in Alberta anyhow. Possibly smallmouth in some of the southern reservoirs but definitely not largemouth.
Any articles or reports out there on B.C.'s population of bass? Articles covering how they have / haven't destroyed habitat or other fish populations? What about sunfish and crappy? would they work? Would a perch / bass lake work?

If BC has had success using the bucket method...
Old 05-28-2009, 01:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ooh I'd be watching what I was saying there,, not a smart idea at all.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:43 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAlite View Post
Any articles or reports out there on B.C.'s population of bass? Articles covering how they have / haven't destroyed habitat or other fish populations? What about sunfish and crappy? would they work? Would a perch / bass lake work?

I've spoken with several biologists over the years in BC and most say that bass have had a negative effect on native species. Only one biologist that I spoke with was basically at peace with them and working to manage the fishery better. Basically, they came with a cost and most feel the cost was too high despite the fact that they do provide a unique recreational fishery. Be worth calling a few of the biologists over there to bend their ear.

I agree with walleyes regarding your last comment. Fisheries management is best left to fisheries managers. Micro managing never ends well for anyone. If there was a big a lobby for other species in Alberta possibly you'd see some changes....I don't know.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAlite View Post

Smallmouth bass have nor problem eating YP. Rather than stocking more predators in native lakes, I would really like to see Kokanee salmon in our put and take stocked lakes.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:31 PM

I grew up fishing for bass in northwestern ontario and theres almost nothing better then a sunny day in july catching smallies on topwater lures. Although i am no biologist i would assume that largemouth would survive in most of our lakes. They survive in lakes around lake of the woods and northern minnesota and it gets just as cold there. Smallies need clearer, more oxygen rich rock bottom lakes to really sustain themselve. But buckets are made for the low oxygen, hyper eutrophic lakes (sloughs) that alberta has.
To hell with factory rainbows, bring on the bass.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:40 PM
Banned

time for a bass revolution!
Old 05-28-2009, 04:51 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Although i am no biologist i would assume that largemouth would survive in most of our lakes. They survive in lakes around lake of the woods and northern minnesota and it gets just as cold there.
I could be wrong but the way it was explained to me is that it has nothing to do with how cold it gets as water can only get so cold before it freezes but how quickly the water warms in the spring for spawning. The water definitely warms a lot slower here. No doubt original stockings would survive but as far as I know, there has been no documented spawning in Alberta from the bass stocking they've attempted and science says it won't happen if they try again. At least that's what a biologist told me.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:00 PM

yes but they stocked in northern lakes

not southern
Old 05-28-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:

not southern
alkali is usually high in southern alberta... every slough or reservoir has the token white crust of alkali around the edges, and that might have something to do with it.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:13 PM
sheephunter

Quote:

not southern
Just repeating what the biologist told me....you could very well be right. They have been tried in Sylvan, Gull, Buffalo, Minnewanka, Ministik, Pigeon, Wabamun and Lac La Nonne. I'm guessing the water fluctuations in the reservoirs of the south would adversely affect spawning as well but again, I could be totally wrong. I've just never seen largemouth in waters that warm as slow as ours in the spring but with climate change, who knows.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:32 PM

alright got it

largemouth i am thinking would do well in lakes like pine coulee or travers
Old 05-28-2009, 07:41 PM

Duck Lake, Sirdar Bar. 5 houses and a one bar town. Big bucket mouth bass. Gotta love it. I have an eight pounder hangin' on the wall. Some have been known to pull 12-lber's out in Aug. at the south end. WE scoured that lake for many years and have lots of LIES to go around. Some of us were known as the tourists, the last of the Mohicans and those who know me, know me as SCHMANGEE. That lake will definitly keep you in shape.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:58 AM

Default bc bass lakes

Does anyone know a website out there that lists all (known) B.C Bass lakes? Or even better, Does any one know the closest one to Edmonton? Would Montana or Idaho be a shorter drive (time on the road vs. actual distance)?
Old 05-29-2009, 07:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
alright got it

largemouth i am thinking would do well in lakes like pine coulee or travers
There are also numerous smaller Res around the south that would be much more suited for Bass. Like Mithchell, Reeser there are a couple around 7 Persons and Brooks like Tyllie B. These are all small fairly shallow ponds that would warm fast.

And I agree its time to start a Bass revolution in A.B. And I can't see it but only being a good thing for our fishery it would would sure help aleveate some pressure off of our Walleye and Perch stocks..
Old 05-29-2009, 12:32 PM

is bass a good tasting fish to eat ???
Never had one, they kind of look like a large perch , I would think they may taste similar ??
Old 05-29-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
I agree with walleyes regarding your last comment. Fisheries management is best left to fisheries managers. Micro managing never ends well for anyone. If there was a big a lobby for other species in Alberta possibly you'd see some changes....I don't know.
Certainly wasn't implying that I would do anything - just implying that this might be a good chance for these fisheries managers to be proactive rather than reactive... and keeping the conversation going
Old 05-29-2009, 04:46 PM

IMO Bass is a good tasting fish to eat. It is a white meat. Easy to fillet. Cut it into little bite size pieces, egg, flour, milk, a little spice in your bread crumb mixture, heat up some butter and oil in a pan and mmmmmmm,mmmmmmm, good. Even the people who didn't like to eat fish, just gobbled them down. You pretty much have to get them early in the season or the meat tends to get a little mushy and soft when the water temp. rises above about 60 degrees. Two weeks after ice out is a good start
Old 05-29-2009, 05:01 PM
Banned

Ive never ate a mushy smallmouth. The big mouths hang out in bath water tempature water and do get mushy. Both good eating fish, better than pike but not so good as walley in my opinion.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:35 PM

Default Manitoba Bass

Northern and central Manitoba has some great bass fishing for smallmouth. I catch about 100 or so each summer when I holiday at the lake there. Last year the biggest was an 18 3/4 incher. The locals in the area blame the bass for a decline in the walleye fishery on the lake. I don't know if this is the case or not, but they are certainly aggressive predators.

Any bass put into irrigation reservoirs would spread throughout the entire system, including the rivers, if they were to successfully reproduce. This could be brutal for native gamefish of many species. I am happy to drive to other places to fish for them where they are native or already established. We don't need them here screwing up our fisheries any more than they are already.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:40 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy View Post
Does anyone know a website out there that lists all (known) B.C Bass lakes? Or even better, Does any one know the closest one to Edmonton? Would Montana or Idaho be a shorter drive (time on the road vs. actual distance)?
Here's a list I have saved on my computer. While far from complete it does give you a few options.

Fraser Valley:
Mill Lake - Abbotsford B.C. - Largemouth Bass
Hatzic Lake - Mission B.C. - Largemouth Bass
Chadsey Lake - Abbotsford, B.C. - Largemouth Bass
Sturgeon Slough - Pitt Meadows, B.C. - Largemouth Bass
Brunette River - Coquitlam, B.C. - (rumored) Largemouth Bass
Judson Lake - Abbotsford, B.C. - Largemouth Bass
Pepin Creek - Abbotsford, B.C. - Largemouth Bass
N. Alouette River - Pitt Meadows, B.C. - Largemouth Bass
Fish Trap Creek - Abbotsford, B.C. - Largemouth Bass
Glochester Ponds - Aldergrove, B.C. - Largemouth Bass
West Creek - Langley, B.C. - Largemouth Bass
Salmon River - Fort Langley, B.C. - Largemouth Bass
Kawkawa Lake - Hope, B.C. - Smallmouth Bass (few)
Albert Dyck Park - Abbotsford, B.C. - Largemouth Bass

Okanagan:
Osoyoos Lake - near town of Osoyoos, B.C. - Largemouth & Smallmouth Bass
Skaha Lake - near Penticton and Okanagan Falls, B.C. - Largemouth & Smallmouth Bass
Vaseux Lake - S. of Okanagan Falls, B.C. - Largemouth & Smallmouth Bass
Deadman Lake - N. of Osoyoos, B.C. - Largemouth & Smallmouth Bass
Okanagan River - From Okanagan Lake to Osoyoos Lake - Largemouth & Smallmouth Bass

Kootenays:
Duck Lake - North of Creston, B.C. - Largemouth Bass
Christina Lake - 22 km. E. of Grand Forks, B.C. - Largemouth & Smallmouth Bass
Kootenay Lake Flats - S. end of lake near Creston, B.C. - Largemouth Bass
Summit Creek (slough) - W. of Creston, B.C. - Largemouth Bass
Jim Smith Lake - 7 km. SW. of Cranbrook, B.C. - Largemouth Bass
Baynes Lake - 11 km. SW. of Elko, B.C. - Largemouth Bass
Tie Lake - N. of Jaffray, B.C. - Smallmouth Bass

Vancouver Island:
Diver Lake - Near Hwy 19, 7 km. N. of Nanaimo, B.C. - Smallmouth Bass
Long Lake - 16 km. NW. of Nanaimo, B.C. - Smallmouth Bass
Quennell Lake - 7 km. SE. of Cedar, B.C. - Smallmouth Bass
Shawnigan Lake - 50 km. N. of Victoria, B.C. - Smallmouth Bass
Elk and Beaver Lakes - 13 km. N. of Victoria, B.C. - Smallmouth Bass
Prospect Lake - 18 km. N. of Victoria, B.C. - Smallmouth Bass
Glen Lake - W. of Victoria, B.C. - Smallmouth Bass
Holden Lake - SE. of Hwy 1 near Cedar, B.C. - Smallmouth Bass
Langford Lake - NW. of Victoria, B.C. - Smallmouth Bass
Matheson Lake - SW. of Victoria, B.C. - Smallmouth Bass
Spider Lake - S. of Dunsmuir, B.C. - Smallmouth Bass
Young Lake - NW. of Sooke, B.C. - Smallmouth Bass

Saltspring Island:
St. Mary Lake - near Vesuvius harbor, B.C. - Smallmouth Bass
Cusheon Lake - near Fulford harbor, B.C. - Smallmouth Bass

Washington State:
Whatcom Lake - E. of Bellingham, U.S.A. - Largemouth & Smallmouth Bass
Samish Lake - S. of Bellingham along #5 - Largemouth & Smallmouth Bass
Terrell Lake - W. of Ferndale, U.S.A. - Largemouth Bass
Wiser Lake - Along the Guide Meridian S. of Linden, U.S.A. - Largemouth Bass
Old 05-29-2009, 07:49 PM

Here is a link to last years thread on bass, me and playdo had lots of fun but still a lot of info
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...highlight=bass