Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-26-2009, 09:13 PM

Default Bass please.

Why is alberta the only province in Canada that does'nt have Largemouth Bass? Why do we only have one lake with a small (though catchable) population of Smallmouth Bass?

I just got back from a week of fishing in B.C. My targets were Large and Smallmouth bass. this was my first time ever fishing for these wonderfull animals. Without question-hands down-cash in your chips- these are the most entertaining, fun, and easy to land fish that i have ever caught. I have absoulutly no desire anymore to fish for eyes, pike, perch or trout. i'm hooked (no pun intended). In fact, yesterday i drove an hour out of Edmonton to Island Lake to see if i could catch some of our very own Smallmouth- and i did. This lake is hard to access to say the least; a lengthy walk through some very Bear-ish looking willows and reeds in hip waders is nessesary to even get to the waters edge from the parking lot. Needless to say, i had a blast!!

Its my understanding that Bass were introdused in a few area lakes throughout the years, but the populations did'nt take (with the exception of Island).

Does somebody want to tell me why we ar'nt trying this again? If your answer has something to do with foriegn invasive species, perhaps you should check how many of our most prized Alberta fish are acctually 'native'...

Has anybody else here fished for Bass? Anybody else want to see more variety in our lakes? Is anyone else tired of going to a lake you know nothing about and being able to KNOW all your going to catch is Pike, Walley, Perch. Pike, Walleye, Perch... or Trout. I know thats a bit of a oversimplification, but you get my point.

BASS PLEASE SRD!! LOTS OF THEM!!
Old 05-26-2009, 09:15 PM

I agree, there must be a few lakes that could support a bass population in Alberta. They are fun to catch and fight like they are 10 times their size. Why should we have to drive to BC to catch bass?

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 05-26-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy View Post
Why is alberta the only province in Canada that does'nt have Largemouth Bass? Why do we only have one lake with a small (though catchable) population of Smallmouth Bass?

I just got back from a week of fishing in B.C. My targets were Large and Smallmouth bass. this was my first time ever fishing for these wonderfull animals. Without question-hands down-cash in your chips- these are the most entertaining, fun, and easy to land fish that i have ever caught. I have absoulutly no desire anymore to fish for eyes, pike, perch or trout. i'm hooked (no pun intended). In fact, yesterday i drove an hour out of Edmonton to Island Lake to see if i could catch some of our very own Smallmouth- and i did. This lake is hard to access to say the least; a lengthy walk through some very Bear-ish looking willows and reeds in hip waders is nessesary to even get to the waters edge from the parking lot. Needless to say, i had a blast!!

Its my understanding that Bass were introdused in a few area lakes throughout the years, but the populations did'nt take (with the exception of Island).

Does somebody want to tell me why we ar'nt trying this again? If your answer has something to do with foriegn invasive species, perhaps you should check how many of our most prized Alberta fish are acctually 'native'...

Has anybody else here fished for Bass? Anybody else want to see more variety in our lakes? Is anyone else tired of going to a lake you know nothing about and being able to KNOW all your going to catch is Pike, Walley, Perch. Pike, Walleye, Perch... or Trout. I know thats a bit of a oversimplification, but you get my point.

BASS PLEASE SRD!! LOTS OF THEM!!
what slow down u say u caught smallmouth in island lake

there definetly has to be change take it up with the people in charge and see what goes down
Old 05-26-2009, 11:40 PM
Banned

i agree....we're planning on going to bc.....did you go to osoyoos??

and what did you catch the smallmouth on in island lake?
Old 05-26-2009, 11:43 PM

Default Yep...

Bass are a must. I would LOVE to see them here. Awesomely fun to catch and they release REALLY nicely too...

Hooking a 4lb smallmouth is like catching a 15lb Jack... and yet STILL more fun ! Watching them Explode outta' the water is just unbelievably awesome....

Man, I gotta get out to Windermere or somethin'.....

Cheers,

/FC....
Old 05-27-2009, 01:11 AM

I want to see a picture of this "Island Lake Smallmouth"...

and p.s - bass rule, and i'd be a happy man to be able to catch them in alberta. Crappie as well!
Old 05-27-2009, 07:56 AM

I would love to see Bass stocked in some lakes. I think Eagle lake by Strathmore would be a good candidate or the new reservoir that wid is planning on building near Hussar.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:05 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Why is alberta the only province in Canada that does'nt have Largemouth Bass?
Actually none of the Maritime province have largemouth either. New Brunswick and Nova Scotia offer some great smallmouth action but no largemouth. There's no bass at all in PEI or NFLD. Saskatchewan has one largemouth lake and lots of rumours of smallmouth but I've yet to see one. There have been a few attempts to stock largemouth in Alberta, including Wabamun but none have been successful.

BC is bass Mecca no doubt. It seems every time I go out there I learn of 10 new bass lakes. Give Vancouver Island a try for smallmouth sometime....it's incredible.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy View Post
In fact, yesterday i drove an hour out of Edmonton to Island Lake to see if i could catch some of our very own Smallmouth- and i did.
lol, nice one, I fish the lake in the summer and during winter, never caught one bass, and besides that lake holds so many pike I doubt any bass would survive the pressure ,
Buddy, I wish we had them here

Cheers!
Old 05-27-2009, 08:31 AM

Feeeeeeeew! I thought i was the only one. To answer some questions, I fished for Smallies on Saltspring island, and Large mouths at Osoyoos. It was the most fun i have ever had. The two Smallies from here were both taken (and your right, in addition to loads of tiny pike) on three inch, pumpkin seed power bait jigs. one, a small fish no bigger than a pound and the other a little bigger, but not by much. Wish i had a camera. Maybee next time

Sheep, im really surprised that the bass did'nt take in Wabamum, what with the warm water discharge from the power plant- must be the pike. I think if Alberta did try it again, it would have to be in lakes without an already established predator population.

Who would a guy talk to at SRD about something like this, without sounding like a nutcase?
Old 05-27-2009, 08:35 AM

It has been on my list of things to do!I have been trying to go to BC to try my hand at BASS.Never done it but like what I see.If they would servive in ALTA and SASK I would luv to see them here and wouldnt have to worry so much about overfishing because I hear they arnt the best Table Fair
Old 05-27-2009, 08:45 AM

Last weekend I hooked to a couple of them at Hasse , man !!! what a blast .
Old 05-27-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morph1 View Post
lol, nice one, I fish the lake in the summer and during winter, never caught one bass, and besides that lake holds so many pike I doubt any bass would survive the pressure ,
Buddy, I wish we had them here

Cheers!
Which Island Lake is the one that was stocked with Bass? I fished the one by Athabasca for years and never caught one. I assume it is the one by Smokey Lake that has Bass?
Old 05-27-2009, 10:11 AM

Hey Goober, that's the one, I like the lake lots, but there is nothing else but pike, and hardly any keepers...
Old 05-27-2009, 12:32 PM

Bass are okay, but what I'd really like to see in Alberta is some those 'gator pike things.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:54 PM

the lake by Smokey was stocked back in the late 70's, every year there 1 or 2 rumors that a bass was caught. i would like to see one if they did exist, but i dout they do. i think the only reason people still talk about bass from there is because barry mitchell still has it listed in his book.
..........someone please prove me wrong........
Old 05-27-2009, 04:21 PM
Banned

I think the main reason why they have'nt tried is because there worried about them spreading into lakes there not suppose to be in. Theres 2 ways they can do this common waterway or people. Bass can do increbile damage to lakes. I'm sure if they did stock bass into a couple of lakes it would be only a matter of time before people transfered them to a bunch of other lakes.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:53 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Actually none of the Maritime province have largemouth either. New Brunswick and Nova Scotia offer some great smallmouth action but no largemouth. There's no bass at all in PEI or NFLD. Saskatchewan has one largemouth lake and lots of rumours of smallmouth but I've yet to see one. There have been a few attempts to stock largemouth in Alberta, including Wabamun but none have been successful.

BC is bass Mecca no doubt. It seems every time I go out there I learn of 10 new bass lakes. Give Vancouver Island a try for smallmouth sometime....it's incredible.
Someday,I wanna do the smallmouth thing...
I've caught quite a few bucketmouths,but no smallies...yet!
Haven't fished bass in a few years;used to have good luck at Duck Lake,near Creston,B.C.. Read about Duck in Outdoor Edge magazine,first I knew that there were bass in Western Canada. The article was written by some young fella named T.J. somethin'-or-other(Schmengy?Schpanky?) & made me start planning a trip the day I read it. Got out there quite a few times & had a lot of fun.Bassin' is a blast!
Here's a few Duck Lake largemouth;it would be sweet not to have to drive 6 hours to catch 'em...

BTW,thanks,B.J.
As for bass not being good eats(as someone mentioned in this thread),I beg to differ;had 'em for shore lunch a few times & loved it.Man,now I want a fry of bass,perch & sunfish from Duck lake....Yum-Yum!!!
Old 05-27-2009, 06:00 PM
sheephunter

LOL.....Duck Lake is still producing just as well. We hit it last year on the May long weekend and had a blast. They were really going on surface baits which made it all the more fun. There is some great fishing around Cranbrook if you are looking a little closer to home.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy perch fisher View Post
I think the main reason why they have'nt tried is because there worried about them spreading into lakes there not suppose to be in. Theres 2 ways they can do this common waterway or people. Bass can do increbile damage to lakes. I'm sure if they did stock bass into a couple of lakes it would be only a matter of time before people transfered them to a bunch of other lakes.
What type of incredible damage can bass do to lakes? I see non native trout stocked into our lakes all the time and no one is concerned if in a matter of time people transfered them to another lake
Old 05-27-2009, 08:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorg View Post
What type of incredible damage can bass do to lakes? I see non native trout stocked into our lakes all the time and no one is concerned if in a matter of time people transfered them to another lake
go look it up
Old 05-27-2009, 09:32 PM

Hey im all up for stocking bass, Walleye eat bass right?
Old 05-27-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
go look it up
Well I'm not as educated as most and I tried to look it up but found nothing perhaps you could post a link and help me out ----
Old 05-27-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
or they could be carried to other lakes by birds, getting caught on their legs and feet...oops- isn't there already a thread about this ??

Last edited by bigd; 05-27-2009 at 09:49 PM. Reason: duh- editing
Old 05-27-2009, 09:53 PM

as this been discussed by F&W
Old 05-27-2009, 10:25 PM

I watched a bass on a small BC lake, around Fernie, jump from the water, up into the reeds a couple of feet in from the shore, grab a bug, then roll back into the lake thru the mud and dirt. Now show me a trout that tough, they cant even survive being held up for a picture according to some people

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 05-27-2009, 10:33 PM
Banned

The last report I read on the lack of "big mouth" in AB, was that they would rather they stay in OTTAWA.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:16 PM

Wow, I'm surprised that so many people support bass in Alberta. And frankly, I do too. I think. Probably...
Old 05-27-2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorTurtle View Post
i would like to see one if they did exist, but i dout they do. i think the only reason people still talk about bass from there is because barry mitchell still has it listed in his book.
..........someone please prove me wrong........
Hey, I believe tallguy. If he says he caught smallies from Island Lake, then it proves they exist.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:49 PM

This link has a couple pics of Island Lake Bass.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ss+island+lake