Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-17-2016, 10:59 AM
Banned

Default Camp Wainright Deer, Turkey and Cow Elk Possibilities

I just looked up my current draw priorities and I think this is a good year to cash in some big priority points.

For Wainright deer I'm a 9 so I can pull a tag for any season I want. I've never been there so looking for some information from those who have. I've heard that the first hunt is generally the best but looking for opinions

For Turkey I'm an 11 so I'll probably do that one next year. Anyone ever hunted Turkeys down in 305?

I'm also an 11 for Cow Elk. This would be a slam dunk hunt where I normally Elk hunt but I'd rather pull a tag somewhere else and explore some new country. Tempted to pull it in 162 as I've never hunted Elk in the prairies but any other suggestions on cool places to check out?
Old 04-17-2016, 05:00 PM

I've only hunted wainwright once but it was a really fun hunt; being, "after" the season it's kind of like a special, "bonus", just for you. I'd go back in a heartbeat and am eagerly building P to do so. As per usual, if you're willing to get out of your truck you'll see tons of deer. Could've filled my tags first morning on the biggest wt rack and largest body md I've ever seen. Passed as I didn't want it to end so fast. Shot a nice meat buck on the last day instead. Cool country, simply a treat just to have the priveledge of being there.

Also only did the turkey hunt once. Can't wait to go again. We just hunted the porcupines. Never connected but were there late due to htg partners sched. Could've taken a jake but decided to pass.....silly me; never got to taste wild turkey.......yet . Nice spring hunt and at that time of year when the forest is just coming alive after the long winter it's simply a treat; one of those experiences that simply makes you happy just to be there.

No suggestion for cow elk, personally the easier I can put elk meat in my freezer the better; elk scallopini.........drooool.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:12 PM

I also allways used wainwright as a plus after season hunt. Had some fun over the years. Its nice being able to change locations and go after WT or Muleys.