Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-14-2016, 01:15 PM

Default Alberta RELM requires hunter ed??

Alberta RELM has prompted me for my hunter education identification number. Like a lot of us, I wrote and passed the exam while it was still on paper in about 1996. Has anyone else run into this, and how would go about recovering your hunter education number?

Thanks
Old 04-14-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510-Gem View Post
Alberta RELM has prompted me for my hunter education identification number. Like a lot of us, I wrote and passed the exam while it was still on paper in about 1996. Has anyone else run into this, and how would go about recovering your hunter education number?

Thanks
If you need the actual paper you are screwed. Friend of mine ran into this last season while applying for us draws. No records were kept by any second party( aheia, ect). Have to redo the test to get the copy.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:51 PM

I would fight that tooth and nail. How long have you been hunting?
I took mine in 1984, I have no idea where my old certificate went but I have had a hunting licence every year since and there's a lot of other people that have been at it a heck of a lot longer than myself.
I would be livid. There has to be another alternative. I wish you the best of luck in you endeavor. If its that important then the Province should have kept a record of it as well.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:53 PM

Default Hunter Ed

I noticed this as well but doubt they can enforce it. I started hunting long before it was mandatory to take Hunter education to get a hunting license in Alberta. I believe that law came into effect in 1987. Anyone who had held a hunting license previous to 1987 was exempt from having to take Hunter education. I did a guided caribou hunt in Manitoba a few years ago and it was mandatory there even if you have held a hunting license before so i took the online course from AHEIA. But I am pretty well the the only Hunter I know that has it.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:54 PM

Unless you are a first time hunter, you don't need to provide proof of your Hunter Safety training.

http://mywildalberta.com/Hunting/Reg...ntingFAQs.aspx

Quote:
First-time hunters who have not previously held a hunting licence in Alberta or elsewhere, must complete the Alberta Conservation and Hunter Education course.

A first-time hunter is a hunter who:

has not previously held a hunting licence in Alberta or elsewhere
has not passed a hunter competency test in Alberta or elsewhere
has not successfully completed a hunter education course in Alberta or elsewhere

A first time hunter who is a non-resident (Canadian) or a non resident alien does not need to complete the Alberta Conservation and Hunter Education course if accompanied by a licensed Guide or Hunter Host.

Those 14 to 17 years of age have the option of completing the Alberta Conservation and Hunter Education course or the Alberta Hunter Competency exam.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510-Gem View Post

Thanks
Isn't there a prompt if you have taken the hunter course in a different province or a long time ago?
Old 04-14-2016, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
Isn't there a prompt if you have taken the hunter course in a different province or a long time ago?
Or if you have previously held a hunting license in Alberta. I used the system last year, and I was not required to prove that I had taken a hunter education course.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:29 PM

Easy: give AHEIA a call - they'll issue you a new certificate and wallet card with a unique number.

I did this last year.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:04 PM

Took my course in Manitoba in 1967 still have the card but no number on it back then
Old 04-14-2016, 06:08 PM

Do you have an old hunting license?

Produce this as proof of previously hunting.

Done deal.

There are no absolutes
Old 04-14-2016, 08:30 PM

I had the same thing happen when I logged on to buy my fishing license. I started filling in my info, got to that part, got angry, and just clicked on a different link (home maybe?) and it let me carry on without updating all my info.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkav View Post
Easy: give AHEIA a call - they'll issue you a new certificate and wallet card with a unique number.

I did this last year.
This was not an option at all for a well know person in our hunting community.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertabighorn View Post
This was not an option at all for a well know person in our hunting community.
Ah. That's unfortunate.

It's ridiculous that they don't simply grandfather in everyone who has previously held a hunting license - that would be a pretty straightforward and obvious fix. Which is probably why it wasn't implemented.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:23 PM

I just updated any info that was needed and left the hunter safety course blank,hit save and all was good for me.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash8 View Post
I would fight that tooth and nail. How long have you been hunting?

I took mine in 1984, I have no idea where my old certificate went but I have had a hunting licence every year since and there's a lot of other people that have been at it a heck of a lot longer than myself.

I would be livid. There has to be another alternative. I wish you the best of luck in you endeavor. If its that important then the Province should have kept a record of it as well.

Yeah I'll look into things a little further. Been hunting for close to 20 years. I'm sure SRDwould rather give me the benefit of the doubt than refuse my annual $200+ in license fees...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2016, 11:24 PM
Banned

Is this something new? I haven't applied for anything related to hunting this year yet. I'd think that with my tag and draw info on the RELM site it wouldn't be much of an issue but like you I did my hunting course a long time ago. Are you applying for a hunting permit after a long absence from hunting by any chance?
Old 04-14-2016, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkav View Post

I did this last year.
I took mine in 2004 and did the same thing they will give you your number.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter4ever12 View Post
I just updated any info that was needed and left the hunter safety course blank,hit save and all was good for me.
This is the answer
Old 04-15-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter4ever12 View Post
Have you ever had a hunting license in Alberta before? If not then all you can get is a fishing license by doing it your way.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntnut View Post
Have you ever had a hunting license in Alberta before? If not then all you can get is a fishing license by doing it your way.
Yup I have been hunting in Alberta for 16 years now. When I went back on the website to check stuff out last week it asked to update all my info and it wanted my hunters safety certificate # which I no longer have. So I just left it blank and saved everything and it allowed me to continue to on with no hassles.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:42 PM

I think they just may be starting to keep a file on the numbers as there was no record kept by them.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:06 PM

Found the same thing last week. Just left it blank as God knows what my number is. Bought my bear tags, fishing license, bow permit and wildlife certificate no issues. I did this all online! Love the new system