Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-11-2016, 10:17 PM

Default Shooting Range around Calgary

Hi Guys. With the public range in Sabald closed, where do you shoot/bore sight around Calgary? Is there any shooting club still open to new members? Did some research on internet still no idea. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:41 PM
Banned

I can tell you from 1st hand experience, Conservation Officers are cracking down on people pulling off the road and shooting on Crown Land in the Kananaskis area.

Thankfully I had a very nice officer who simply told me of the violation (parking off-road) and asked me to move.

She was also "suggesting" I shoot somewhere else, due to increasing foot traffic from the recent warm weather. I concurred, but also asserted my right to be there as much as anyone else as long as I was "being safe".

She reluctantly agreed, but still insisted I move due to 2 hikers having just crossed the road and proceeded to walk somewhat down range of my position. Despite me yelling over to them, prior to the officer arriving, that I was about to start shooting and they were walking into my shooting lane.

I moved up the road, parked with 2 tires still on the gravel, sighted in my rifle from a tree stump, & shot off another 10-15 rds to check groupings, cleaned up my mess (and some other people mess too) and left.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
I can tell you from 1st hand experience, Conservation Officers are cracking down on people pulling off the road and shooting on Crown Land in the Kananaskis area.

Thankfully I had a very nice officer who simply told me of the violation (parking off-road) and asked me to move.

She was also "suggesting" I shoot somewhere else, due to increasing foot traffic from the recent warm weather. I concurred, but also asserted my right to be there as much as anyone else as long as I was "being safe".

She reluctantly agreed, but still insisted I move due to 2 hikers having just crossed the road and proceeded to walk somewhat down range of my position. Despite me yelling over to them, prior to the officer arriving, that I was about to start shooting and they were walking into my shooting lane.

I moved up the road, parked with 2 tires still on the gravel, sighted in my rifle from a tree stump, & shot off another 10-15 rds to check groupings, cleaned up my mess (and some other people mess too) and left.
And that is why I choose not to target shoot at locations other than actual ranges or on private property. I just don't want to take the chance that someone may be downrange , that I am not aware of. Yes I do have as much right to be there as as anyone else, but it just isn't worth it to me to shoot in an area where I don't know who might be around, when there are much safer options available.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:17 AM

As long as you have a good backstop that you can see (a hill or something) and not just shooting into the trees you should be fine.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:32 AM

sub'd for info. All the ranges within reasonable proximity to me seem to be fresh out of available room for membership.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:05 PM

From what I've found the CDTSA is the only centrefire rifle range close to Calgary, and their membership is already capped for 2016. And $400/year seems rather steep anyway, you'd have to be there a lot to make it worthwhile.

The APRA ranges out at Homestead are more for competition than casual users, and their memberships are probably capped too.

The Drumheller range still has space for locals, but has reached their out-of-towner cap.

So yeah, options are now very limited around Calgary.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentsmith View Post
From what I've found the CDTSA is the only centrefire rifle range close to Calgary, and their membership is already capped for 2016. And $400/year seems rather steep anyway, you'd have to be there a lot to make it worthwhile.

The APRA ranges out at Homestead are more for competition than casual users, and their memberships are probably capped too.

The Drumheller range still has space for locals, but has reached their out-of-towner cap.

So yeah, options are now very limited around Calgary.
$400 may seem steep, but before I was a member at the cdtsa, I spent far more than that in gas to drive around crown land. CDTSA is safe and clean, nice benches, worth every penny. I do believe that the $400 is only for your first year, after that it's $250 a year. I'd highly recommend it and try applying next year. I can see target shooting on crown loans come to an end in the near future do to idiots. For the same reasons they closed the homestead public range.

Kevin
Old 04-12-2016, 09:44 PM

check with BTSA, they are still accepting new members....
Old 04-13-2016, 10:10 AM

if your willing to make a 2 hour drive, check out the Crowsnest Pass Gun Club... it's just a few km's NW of Coleman.

we have long gun targets out to 400 yards, pistol areas, skeet area... it's a great facility. best part is you can possibly fill an elk, bear or deer tag on your way to or from the range from the staging area. miles and miles of atv trails and crown land with the mighty Crowsnest Mountain as your backdrop

only $30/ year. best price anywhere! PM and i'll get you the number of the guy who looks after memberships.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:12 AM

$30/year plus 450km every time you go
Old 04-13-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:

Hi John, could you please explain a little more on the parking violation? Is it specific to the Kananaskis area?
Old 04-13-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostianych View Post
$30/year plus 450km every time you go
sure, it's a wayssss away but when you can atv, snowmobile, quad, fish, hunt, camp for free on miles of beautiful wilderness it's a great option for many.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketrout View Post

Hi John, could you please explain a little more on the parking violation? Is it specific to the Kananaskis area?
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...hlight=Sibbald

This is what I'm talking about...
Old 04-14-2016, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Thanks! It will be interesting to see how that case turns out. Glad you got a reasonable CO.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy View Post
if your willing to make a 2 hour drive, check out the Crowsnest Pass Gun Club... it's just a few km's NW of Coleman.

we have long gun targets out to 400 yards, pistol areas, skeet area... it's a great facility. best part is you can possibly fill an elk, bear or deer tag on your way to or from the range from the staging area. miles and miles of atv trails and crown land with the mighty Crowsnest Mountain as your backdrop

only $30/ year. best price anywhere! PM and i'll get you the number of the guy who looks after memberships.
PM'd you. Appreciate your reply.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:57 PM

Update...

Membership is now $40