Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-09-2016, 04:28 PM

Default Antelope!!!

Who is excited for the upcoming antelope season sitting with Priority 13 cant wait. Wish I didn't live 8 hours from the area were going to hunt, How are the Goats looking they must have had a great winter with the Mild Weather.
Old 04-09-2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astepanuk View Post
Who is excited for the upcoming antelope season sitting with Priority 13 cant wait. Wish I didn't live 8 hours from the area were going to hunt, How are the Goats looking they must have had a great winter with the Mild Weather.
You can't grow a 15 inch goat in one year. The numbers are horrible down south. we get nailed with tough winters and then SRD throws too many tags out year after year. I would do some serious spring scouting where you are planning on hunting to be sure you want to apply first, or you will be greatly disappointed . Last fall I saw only 8 inch bucks, so they aren't even shooters this year. Many fellas I spoke with encountered similar findings in their hunting areas. Good luck!
Old 04-09-2016, 05:24 PM

I am a P13 as well, and the options are to draw now when larger bucks are harder to find, or wait and risk AEP doing something stupid like capping the priority at 10 in the next year or so. If they do that, it may take a few more years to draw, and that brings the risk of another potential bad winter, and perhaps waiting another five years.
Old 04-09-2016, 05:27 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk396 View Post
You can't grow a 15 inch goat in one year. The numbers are horrible down south. we get nailed with tough winters and then SRD throws too many tags out year after year. I would do some serious spring scouting where you are planning on hunting to be sure you want to apply first, or you will be greatly disappointed . Last fall I saw only 8 inch bucks, so they aren't even shooters this year. Many fellas I spoke with encountered similar findings in their hunting areas. Good luck!
I have a high priority as well, I think I'll sit on it for another year until my grandson can go. The problem, I think, with the long wait for a draw is you will end up with very few trophy animals, if a guy waits 12-14 years for the draw, he will shoot any legal antelope on the 2nd to last or last day he has to hunt...
Old 04-09-2016, 05:28 PM

I've been waiting for years to finally hunt a goat I sure would love to get an 80" goat but I know id be happy with a 70" for my first one. I'm also packing Priority 8 for Archery antelope defiantly not afraid to strap the boots on and hike for hours to find a good goat.
Old 04-09-2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
if a guy waits 12-14 years for the draw, he will shoot any legal antelope on the 2nd to last or last day he has to hunt...
X2
Old 04-09-2016, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
that brings the risk of another potential bad winter,
This....last few winters have been very mild,I'd be pulling the trigger on 806 or the wmu118,102 zone"......8 years to go for me
Old 04-09-2016, 05:47 PM

I'm headed to New Mexico for one this year. Going to see some crankers in the area we are going i am thinking.
Old 04-09-2016, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
This....last few winters have been very mild,I'd be pulling the trigger on 806 or the wmu118,102 zone"......8 years to go for me
I wouldn't waste my time on 118/102. I know two fellows that drew that tag last year and they shot little guys. The numbers aren't like they used to be.
Old 04-09-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
I've been waiting for years to finally hunt a goat I sure would love to get an 80" goat but I know id be happy with a 70" for my first one. I'm also packing Priority 8 for Archery antelope defiantly not afraid to strap the boots on and hike for hours to find a good goat.
You would probably have to settle for a 70 incher.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:46 PM

We Shall See hopefully Ill be posting a picture next fall of a dandy Goat.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:39 PM

hunted archery in 102 / 118, 2 years ago and the numbers were way down from when we had hunted rifle there 3 years previously, down by 75%!
we got 1 good goat - 73" out of 2, maybe seen 2 others over 70".
hoping this last winter will let the populations catch up again.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:08 PM

Still slugging out my priority.
Booked wyoming in August to skip the painful wait!

OP 8 hrs away?! Stinks for scouting that's for sure. Be sure to post when you tag out!!!
Old 04-10-2016, 07:39 AM

Your telling me we will be headed down a few days before the season to hopefully sit on a good Goat.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Your telling me we will be headed down a few days before the season to hopefully sit on a good Goat.
When I go down, I try and find at least three potential pronghorns for opening day, so that I have a backup plan. It's not like I am going to be the only person hunting them in the area, and I have gone out in the dark, to find other people already waiting for daylight to try and take the same buck. Some people actually stay with a buck until dark, and sleep in their vehicle, so that they can be the first one come morning.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:51 PM

Default cant wait

oh man i cant wait till i can take down one of those guys

best of luck out there bud
Old 04-14-2016, 10:29 AM

I was on the fence as to whether to draw my tag this year with a P-13, but our courts just made the decision for me. I will apply to draw a tag this year, before I lose the opportunity, and that will definitely be my last pronghorn in Alberta. Unfortunately many Alberta hunters may never draw a tag, and those that do, will likely only draw one in their lifetime.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:41 AM

809 was good for me last yr just east of medicine hat,landowners were very friendly
Old 04-14-2016, 11:01 AM

Need a few more easy winters before we see the population come back and get to "pick" out which buck you want. Good luck on the hunt!
Old 04-14-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertabighorn View Post
Need a few more easy winters before we see the population come back and get to "pick" out which buck you want. Good luck on the hunt!
The risk being that if a person waits to draw a tag, either AEP may change the system, or we might have another harsh winter. As well, we may see a significant increase in unlicensed hunters in the very near future, due to a recent court decision. So the options are draw while you can, and hope to find a good buck, or wait, and hope to draw a tag, and even then, the trophy potential may be even worse after a harsh winter, or after more unlicensed hunters start killing pronghorns.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:33 AM

If we keep getting these mild winters we'll soon have a camrose speech goat wmu choice.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:02 PM

I'm a P9 this year so I don't imagine my odds are great. Saw a few bucks last November down south that I would gladly take as my first Antelope.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Most of them winter in Montana. FS
Old 04-16-2016, 11:11 AM

I'm pulling my tag this year. If I can't find a decent antelope after waiting 12 years I'll eat my tag and go to Wyoming to find a good one.

Gerry Burnie
Old 04-16-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
I was on the fence as to whether to draw my tag this year with a P-13, but our courts just made the decision for me. I will apply to draw a tag this year, before I lose the opportunity, and that will definitely be my last pronghorn in Alberta. Unfortunately many Alberta hunters may never draw a tag, and those that do, will likely only draw one in their lifetime.
I hear you bud am a P11 this year so hopefully will get a tag, my last tag was in 2004 and I was a P4, my next tag will likely take a P16 or P18, which would put me in my 80's and given my current health battle I don't like those odds. Having said that I have taken 3 nice antelope in Alberta over the course of the last 30 years so I guess one should not complain to much, but this is the AO forum and we are allowed to complain.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:39 PM

1)Get a really dam good set of boots and a really good spotting scope. Pre scouting is the key to a successful TROPHY antelope.

2)Watch for rattle snakes on hot days and prepare to walk and spot all day. The big leases and ranches in south country are mostly walk only and the roads you are allowed to access by vehicle are few and far. LoL.There is no North/South grid in the south country and the big guys know it.

3) Good luck. There are some nice trophies out there depending on how hard you wanna work and zone. Make sure your legit, 90% chance you will meet the local friendly F&W officer
Old 04-17-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
The risk being that if a person waits to draw a tag, either AEP may change the system, or we might have another harsh winter. As well, we may see a significant increase in unlicensed hunters in the very near future, due to a recent court decision. So the options are draw while you can, and hope to find a good buck, or wait, and hope to draw a tag, and even then, the trophy potential may be even worse after a harsh winter, or after more unlicensed hunters start killing pronghorns.
Yeah you cant have it all ELK11