Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-05-2013, 10:18 AM

Default Twin Lakes by Rocky?

Thinking of going here for some trout. Caught good during the summer. Does anyone know what it is like in the winter, I've never been.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:32 PM

Id recommend you drive a little further south and fish at phyllis lake. Lots of luck there this winter
Old 02-05-2013, 12:40 PM

Default Try Dickson Dan trout pound

If I were you that's where I would go or gold eye lake phillys sucks unless you hook a brood trout there's nothing in there big enough to keep unless you like killing 6-8 inch rainbows
Old 02-05-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady White View Post
Thinking of going here for some trout. Caught good during the summer. Does anyone know what it is like in the winter, I've never been.
Be patience .. sometimes it take 2 hrs to see a fish and don,t move you hook let them pick it up.. keep hook horizontal if you can

Food for Thought

David
Old 02-05-2013, 04:30 PM

New question I know what hooks to use in the summer when I'm in the boat trolling. What do I use in the winter? Never fished for trout in the winter.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:51 PM

Twin was good in early December. Caught 3 broods out of there. 2-3 pounders and one tipping the scale at 7lbs. They all went back in too.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:53 PM

if you want to catch some easy rainbows try tay lake west of phyllis. There are a ton in there and the lake gets little pressure. However, most of the rainbows are in the 8-10 inch range, so not a ton of meat.... IF you go there fish in about twenty feet of water, in the middle of the lake closer to the east side. Use worms on a plain hook just a couple feet off the bottom and you'll nail them.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:58 PM

How's the perch situation at Phyllis? Was out there last year and couldn't get a hook to the bottom without the bait getting stripped.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:09 PM

perch is good, but i dont keep anything out of that lake. all tiny fish, good for a little entertainment
Old 02-05-2013, 11:27 PM

I like to use a little bigger hook and bait. 1/8 or 1/4 oz jigheads with a thumbnail sized chunk of shrimp. I have also used a lindy minnow with same. Fish shallow at first light and move deeper as the day progresses. Usually suspend the bait 1/2 way. You can move it once and awhile, but holding it still usually causes a strike. Fishing deep static baits usually gets lots of action but seldom results in big fish. I also cheat and use a Marcum flasher. Jig steadily 5-7 feet off the bottom until a fish shows up on the screen, freeze bait and thrum if they don't hit it right away.

Twin is not my favorite. Neither is Phyllis. Why are you looking to Rocky for a trip? Visiting?

Their are some better fisheries closer to Leduc for trout which can produce some better fish IMHO.

Good Luck
Old 02-05-2013, 11:32 PM

Strubel Lake will usually produce some better quality fish than Twin (on average). I have hung a couple of bigger brood stock in the summer at Twin but 90% of the fish are pretty small.

My favorite winter trout lake for scenery and quality pan sized fish is Fairfax. 3.0 hour drive though.......the last 100 km is all gravel.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
I like to use a little bigger hook and bait. 1/8 or 1/4 oz jigheads with a thumbnail sized chunk of shrimp. I have also used a lindy minnow with same. Fish shallow at first light and move deeper as the day progresses. Usually suspend the bait 1/2 way. You can move it once and awhile, but holding it still usually causes a strike. Fishing deep static baits usually gets lots of action but seldom results in big fish. I also cheat and use a Marcum flasher. Jig steadily 5-7 feet off the bottom until a fish shows up on the screen, freeze bait and thrum if they don't hit it right away.

Twin is not my favorite. Neither is Phyllis. Why are you looking to Rocky for a trip? Visiting?

Their are some better fisheries closer to Leduc for trout which can produce some better fish IMHO.

Good Luck
To be honest I really don't know where to go for trout except for Twin and Goldeye