Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-02-2013, 04:29 PM

Default boats

Thinking of buying a new boat this year.Around the 16 to 18 foot range outboard with a 115 horse or minimum 90.I have roughly 30k to spend any ideas out there.
All info will be appreciated
Old 02-02-2013, 04:49 PM

Time of year for the boat shows to start showing up so you should be able to get a good idea as to what you like.

for the price you might want to look at Bass pro 16. A few guys on here have bought em and seem quite happy.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:44 PM

Not sure how you will exactly use it - but here's my list for three different types of use to put your wish list budget ($30K) and motor size (90 to 115) and length (16-18) right on target;

1) Fishing Tiller - Lund Pro Guide 1825 (18'-4") with 90 hp Honda - $26,000

2) Fishing and Utility - Kingfisher 1825 Warrior with 115 Honda - $28,000

3) Fishing and Family - Lund 1750 Tyee with 115 Honda - $30,000

Deduct $2000 if you go Mercury 4 stroke.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:45 PM

Smile Which

river or lake boat
Old 02-02-2013, 05:51 PM

I am going to get the crowd going with the Lund selections as they are, certainly, premium priced. Many guys are going to chime in.

Here's what I suggest - go look at one - then go see ANY OTHER riveted production boat and compare for yourself. Open the hatches, look at the hinges, pulls, ......get a list of features, look at the seats, options, etc.... you will be back and be happy to stomach the extra 30% in price.

There are some great welded choices like the Kingfisher / Harbercrafts as well I'd rank right up there as well.

You get what you pay for.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle99 View Post
river or lake boat
I assumed lake since he specified outboard - but good question ....
Old 02-02-2013, 08:13 PM

Crestliner makes a great welded boat nice and wide and deep. Haveing said that 2 years ago my dad and I bought a 17ft Starcraft twin console nice casting deck,trolling motor nicely equiped for fishing with the tall roof side and back covers, an Evenrude 90 on back,trolling motor and trailer from Ecko Marine in Alberta Beach for $23,000 At first was worried about the 90 but it dose a great job and burns almost no fuel??I even pull kids on tubes and ski's no problem.
There service has been great, and the boat even better. Lots of nice boats to pick from?? good luck
Red Neck Out
Old 02-02-2013, 08:55 PM

EZM,

Kingfisher Warrior is actually built by Harbercraft. It really is the outboard version of their river boats, as the keel is flattened on the stern. it is a bit narrow. Go to Gibbons Motor Sports to look at them.

A bit narrow overall compared with the "Flex" series by Kingfisher which is also welded.

I am looking for an Alumaweld Intruder in 20 foot if anyone can help me.

Drewski
Old 02-03-2013, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
EZM,

Kingfisher Warrior is actually built by Harbercraft. It really is the outboard version of their river boats, as the keel is flattened on the stern. it is a bit narrow. Go to Gibbons Motor Sports to look at them.

A bit narrow overall compared with the "Flex" series by Kingfisher which is also welded.

I am looking for an Alumaweld Intruder in 20 foot if anyone can help me.

Drewski
You are correct. Kingfisher purchased Harbercraft a few years ago. I absolutely love the welded quality of those boats. They are built like tanks.

I would have purchased one but I do a fair amount of "family stuff" with my boat so I went with the "sexier and cushier" Lund Tyee myself. Should be here in early April.

I put a 150 Honda on the 18 foot Lund, I ended up going to the upper end of the power options - primarily from posting my question here and getting some decent responses and sound advice.

US made boats, with the exchange rates, are pretty inexpensive now.

There are a couple of decent brands out there like Crestliner, Alumacraft for the "all around fish and family" boat market. I would rank them relatively high in this category.

As far as welded utility hardcore fishing boat it's either Harbercraft/Kingfisher or a Custom Weld - both awesome boats. Unfortunately, Custom Welds are too much money and a bit too heavy hulled (overkill really) for lakes.

I think with the OP's original guidelines, he should have plenty of options. Very reasonable budget and reasonable expectations.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Neck View Post
Crestliner makes a great welded boat nice and wide and deep. Haveing said that 2 years ago my dad and I bought a 17ft Starcraft twin console nice casting deck,trolling motor nicely equiped for fishing with the tall roof side and back covers, an Evenrude 90 on back,trolling motor and trailer from Ecko Marine in Alberta Beach for $23,000 At first was worried about the 90 but it dose a great job and burns almost no fuel??I even pull kids on tubes and ski's no problem.
There service has been great, and the boat even better. Lots of nice boats to pick from?? good luck
Red Neck Out
Evinrude would be my choice if I was running a 2 stroke. Even a small 2 stroke pulls like the bejesus and will be enough to skip the kids along all day.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:16 AM

IMHO go to Freespirit Marine and check out Crestliner. Talk to Thane. Many options available that fit your budget. When comparing prices on boats be sure to ask what is all included in the price. You may be surprised as with some dealers a spare tire or battery for the trolling motor are add ons! Same goes for life jackets, paddles etc.

Crestliner is a welded aluminum hull and quality and warranty is second to none IMHO.

As for a motor, if looking at a 2 stroke, I would say look at a Merc Optimax as well.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:32 AM

I second the Freespirit/ Thane suggestion... Purchased one from them almost 4 years ago and have no regrets... They also include a lot of things in the price that most of the other dealers did not... covers, trolling motor, safety equip, including life jackets etc...
Old 02-03-2013, 09:16 AM

Stay away from Boat Mart Red Deer. Worst customer service on the planet
Old 02-03-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
IMHO go to Freespirit Marine and check out Crestliner. Talk to Thane. Many options available that fit your budget. When comparing prices on boats be sure to ask what is all included in the price. You may be surprised as with some dealers a spare tire or battery for the trolling motor are add ons! Same goes for life jackets, paddles etc.

Crestliner is a welded aluminum hull and quality and warranty is second to none IMHO.

As for a motor, if looking at a 2 stroke, I would say look at a Merc Optimax as well.
Agree thats where I got mine.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:16 AM

Default Warrior......in St. Paul

As far as tin boats go ,Crestliner is ok if your in the north but down here in the

Wind tunnel ....Lund.....IPS. Hull is the best ,for ride and in the wind ,holds more water,more stationary . I know this cause I have had 2crestliners , one from
Free spirit , one from BL , then a pro guide ,that Lund was twice the fishing boat the Crestliner was.....that new impact has the same hull .For lunds go to Kevin's marine in fort quappelle sask,worth the trip.

I bought a Warrior off the board last spring , it was a 2008 , dirtiest 4yr.old boat
I have ever seen,but I love working on boats , brought it back to new.....
Best fishing boat out of the 12 or so I have owned ,the layout, ride ....
Xcellent . The good news is that Warrior is back ,Supreme Sled and marine ,new dealer in St. Paul...will be at Edm boat show , I,m going may trade up
For a 2013. Warrior

Also I know 4 new boats in about 5 yrs, I have the best wife
Ever.....
Old 02-03-2013, 04:17 PM

I would hit the Edmonton or Calgary boat and sportsman show. All makes and models r there and always have show specials that r hard to beat later in the season. Calgary show starts feb 8. I have a 1650 crest liner with a 90 four stroke mercy. It is great but there is a lot of great boats out there
Old 02-03-2013, 04:17 PM

Default boats

hands down Lund boats good resale tough big water boats with BRP Evinrude lots of snap very economical to operate had four lunds and sadly three crappy dealers check out BRP on line impressive wanna know how they tell you to break your BRP in idle out to clear lake and nail it come back in three years for a check up sweet
Old 02-03-2013, 04:34 PM

I bought a Lund rebel 1825 last spring. I was slightly lower than your budget with a 115 Merc four stroke.
I love it. It is a great all around boat for our province.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:36 PM

Not sure if your willing to head south of the border to get a boat, ive been looking and trying to weigh out the pro's/con's. No engine warranty for major failures unless you head back across is a big downside since i live 2 hours north of GP. Big benefit is the price, you can get a thunderjet 182 eco with a 115 for under 28,000 down there, and pretty well equipped. Biggest thing i have found is Canadian dealers won't post there price online, and seem to be very hard to get there bottom line from. Not alot of dealers for me to go and view boats at, so i only want to make the drive once, and would like to know how much its going to cost me befor i get there, or atleast have a good idea. What i have found is they will not email you there bottom line price, even getting them to tell you over the phone is hard. Really watch to when you ask for a price, make sure it is the "out the door" price. Some dealers include PDI, so tack it on afterwards once they have you sitting in the chair signing papers. Break-water marine and Elephant boys also seem to have pretty good prices on there boats if your willing to head south. Jones boys boats seemed really good to have as a dealer, but there prices were a bit higher then other places.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_erickson View Post
Not sure if your willing to head south of the border to get a boat, ive been looking and trying to weigh out the pro's/con's. No engine warranty for major failures unless you head back across is a big downside since i live 2 hours north of GP. Big benefit is the price, you can get a thunderjet 182 eco with a 115 for under 28,000 down there, and pretty well equipped. Biggest thing i have found is Canadian dealers won't post there price online, and seem to be very hard to get there bottom line from. Not alot of dealers for me to go and view boats at, so i only want to make the drive once, and would like to know how much its going to cost me befor i get there, or atleast have a good idea. What i have found is they will not email you there bottom line price, even getting them to tell you over the phone is hard. Really watch to when you ask for a price, make sure it is the "out the door" price. Some dealers include PDI, so tack it on afterwards once they have you sitting in the chair signing papers. Break-water marine and Elephant boys also seem to have pretty good prices on there boats if your willing to head south. Jones boys boats seemed really good to have as a dealer, but there prices were a bit higher then other places.

Kingland ford in hay river treated me very well. Spencer was great to deal with. No bs.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanna View Post
Stay away from Boat Mart Red Deer. Worst customer service on the planet
X 1000 boat mart is terrible. I bought from homestead marine in calgary they were great to deal with
Old 02-04-2013, 09:19 AM

LOOK WAYYYY INTO THE FUTURE. If you think you may go to the coast for one week a year salmon fishing, get a heavy welded aluminum (my persona affliction). Otherwise, a rivetted aluminum is great for our shallow launches.

As for going south to get a boat, get the hull and the trailer, NOT THE ENGINE!!! Go to Bass Pro if you can live with Merc. Their prices is the same north or south of the border right now, and they are the cheapest. engines from the south are going to kill you on a repair in the warranty period, and aren't much different in price locally, if you pay yourself your time and gas to go get it.

Drewski
Old 02-04-2013, 09:42 AM
Gone Fishing

A neighbour down the way buys boats down in the states, he reccomends taking your own trailer down. Less hassle at the border crossing.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:58 AM

Anyone know a dealer who has a 1825 pro guide in stock, I too would like to look at one in person. The big tiller boats seem to be on a special order basis and not many dealers bring them in.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:51 AM

http://www.smokercraft.com/showroom/...ing/pro-angler
I have a 2009 model 172. Great boat. Definately worth a look at these. Had mine on Cold Lake Last fall in 4 foot swells handled great! lots of power with the 115 opti. Max speed around 48 mph it gets ya where u wanna go..... fast!
Old 02-05-2013, 01:15 PM

Default Polarkraft

Anybody bought a boat from High River Auto-plex in Vulcan .

, Polar Kraft have a rep as being pretty tough.... Just wondering about serrvice.

farmsniper check you other post W101
Old 02-05-2013, 04:16 PM

Purchased a smokercraft from shipwreck marine 2013 in edmonton 17.3 ft 115 4stroke yamaha for 30k . Awesome boat
Old 02-05-2013, 05:45 PM

I bought a 2012 Smokercraft 172 pro angler last spring, love it. Anchor Marine Kyle Saskatchewan best price I could find on that boat