Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-29-2010, 08:44 AM

Default Crawling Valley Report Dec 28

Went out to CVR with a few others from the forum and man was it SLOW. Managed one small jack and one 2lb walleye at about 9:30-10:00 am and that's it. We tried deep, we tried shallow, we tried weed beds, we tried drop offs and we tried different presentations. Nothing working, didn't even see much on the camera, although, I did see something I've never seen before. I had a walleye checking out my jig and getting ready to strike when all of a sudden it spooked and took off incredibly fast. Wondering what happened I kept watching the camera when a nice jack went by chasing the walleye. Awesome to see that on the cam.

The water was murky where we were fishing, and this being my first time out there I was surprised as I thought the water was supposed to be clear.

Ice thickness varied from 13-16", lots of guys driving, and lots of cracking while driving, especially when the genius decided to drive Mach 3 down the middle of the lake in the middle of the day.

Anyone else have any luck out there? Was the water clear? Any tips for a CVR nube?
Old 12-29-2010, 08:50 AM

Default slow going

No tips here, sounds like you have offered up an arsenal of choices but they just weren't biting. I have noticed over the last 2 days it's pretty much been slow everywhere. Was out at Eagle Lake yesterday and didn't even have a fish sniff our bait. Not a bite, nothing. It seemed like everyone around us was having the same luck. Day before that we were at another lake and again didn't ice a single fish. It's just slow everywhere right now.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:17 AM

Everywhere Ive tried in the last week has been brutally slow. water is still very murky too. Pcr wasnt too bad, but still slow off and on. I dont know if its the weather or what, maybe the eclipse messed the fishing up for a while.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-29-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketrout View Post
Went out to CVR with a few others from the forum and man was it SLOW. Managed one small jack and one 2lb walleye at about 9:30-10:00 am and that's it. We tried deep, we tried shallow, we tried weed beds, we tried drop offs and we tried different presentations. Nothing working, didn't even see much on the camera, although, I did see something I've never seen before. I had a walleye checking out my jig and getting ready to strike when all of a sudden it spooked and took off incredibly fast. Wondering what happened I kept watching the camera when a nice jack went by chasing the walleye. Awesome to see that on the cam.

The water was murky where we were fishing, and this being my first time out there I was surprised as I thought the water was supposed to be clear.

Ice thickness varied from 13-16", lots of guys driving, and lots of cracking while driving, especially when the genius decided to drive Mach 3 down the middle of the lake in the middle of the day.

Anyone else have any luck out there? Was the water clear? Any tips for a CVR nube?

fish the sunken rock islands
Old 12-29-2010, 11:13 AM

Was very slow for us on Monday. Probably won't be heading back to CVR until last ice.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:39 PM

gonna give it a try saturday...any reports?
Old 12-31-2010, 11:10 AM

Keep us posted Chubb, I got a buddy with a little 12' trailer that is itchin to get out there when the fishing picks up and the ice thickens a little.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Keep us posted Chubb, I got a buddy with a little 12' trailer that is itchin to get out there when the fishing picks up and the ice thickens a little.
will do adam...and i'll send you the gps info
Old 12-31-2010, 12:24 PM

Default Cvr

We may be going to our spot x at Cvr Monday. I will post on return. Will be or first time there this year. If anyone wants to join up as we will be fishing on the west side going in on some back roads. There is a slight possibility we may go to Travers as we did pretty good there last week. My fishing buddy who does not usually get a lot of fish was impressed with the day. Cvr is my fav and I am the driver so unless I am convinced otherwise that will be our target.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:39 PM

traverse has been fishing well....its hard not to go there...i know the feeling...now you got me thinking..lmfao
Old 12-31-2010, 02:01 PM

Just got back from 3 days of fishing in an outfitter's tent. 13" of ice, water was murky and only got 21 landed fish. Pike were 3 - 6 lbs, a few wally's largest 3.5 lbs, but strangely enough only saw 1 burb on the camera and no biters. Fished 14 FOW and was very slow compared to other similar trips. Was amazed at the number of diesel trucks all parked close to each other with this amount of ice, maybe was deeper where they parked?
Old 01-01-2011, 08:16 PM

ice was 14 to 18 inches where we fished
due to technical difficulties we missed the first light bite.
walleyes were smacking hard on the pause and lift, some rising 4 feet on chase. we caught the tail end of the am feed in 16 feet of water next to the structure. afternoon moved the fish to 22 feet on a sand bottom. evening transition move was very light with fish climbing the rock pile on a 10.5 shelf.
couple small snot sticks(pests)
no salamaders(good)
14 eyes all about the same size...and 1 tiny little guffer

all fish released
Old 01-01-2011, 09:18 PM

Chubb, that's a nice walter you got and glad to see his little brother is around too. I recognize the little island by the spot you were at, we were just north of there. Surprised that more pike didn't come around. I'd love to get a 10+lb jack through the ice this winter and I think either CVR or Travers has my fish!
Old 01-01-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Chubb, that's a nice walter you got and glad to see his little brother is around too. I recognize the little island by the spot you were at, we were just north of there. Surprised that more pike didn't come around. I'd love to get a 10+lb jack through the ice this winter and I think either CVR or Travers has my fish!
thats not the sunken island i was talking about before but we did okay at this spot today. Traverse baby Traverse!!!!!!!
Old 01-01-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
thats not the sunken island i was talking about before but we did okay at this spot today. Traverse baby Traverse!!!!!!!
-e

Travers.