Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-30-2010, 02:15 PM

Default Ghost Lake ice fishing where the bow flows in?

Has anyone ice fished ghost reservoir on the other side of the bridge where the bow flows in? if so, how deep and how far into the creek did you go? I assume it would be fairly deep right out in the middle of the stream, and with a power auger one could drill lots of holes and move around the entire shoreline. Bound to catch a bow, cutty, brown, whitefish or laker one would think. I remember 4 years ago or so, i lost a laker well over 10 lbs right at the hole under the bridge on a large herring. I think i will give it a go. I remember fishing there last fall and seeing a guy come out of that channel with a bucket full of 2-5 pound rainbows and cutthroats. Kind of intrigues me. Lets hear your thoughts, cheers
Old 12-30-2010, 02:19 PM

If you can leave that lake witrh a bucket of trout. You send me a pic of the fish and lake in the back ground. I will then call you my hero and buy you a steak and a cold beer my friend because you will be my hero. I would suggest another lake ANY other lake. But I do wish you all the luck in the world

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15h...ec&usp=sharing
Old 12-30-2010, 02:32 PM
Banned

It's a lonnnng walk and that isn't the Bow River and I wouldn't venture in a vehicle.

beleive it or not, just off the first point from the bridge, 50 yards out and a teardrop lure 10 feet down used to be some stellar trouting. Haven't fished Ghost in years, too windy but when they used to ice race with motorcycles the bite was always on.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:01 PM

Default also looking for tips

I'm very new to ice fishing and looking for any tips or good ideas as to where to start on ghost lake. I have fished there in the summer from shore and boat and have never caught a thing. I think they call it ghost cause everyone seems to know a friend of a friend who has caught one there but no one them self's has lol. Is the ice fishing there any good? or should i just forget about it and move on. It would be nice to go there as it is close to home. well any insight would be great. and i hear from most that ghost is not the lake to drive on is this true?
Old 12-30-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elementzero View Post
I'm very new to ice fishing and looking for any tips or good ideas as to where to start on ghost lake. I have fished there in the summer from shore and boat and have never caught a thing. I think they call it ghost cause everyone seems to know a friend of a friend who has caught one there but no one them self's has lol. Is the ice fishing there any good? or should i just forget about it and move on. It would be nice to go there as it is close to home. well any insight would be great. and i hear from most that ghost is not the lake to drive on is this true?
Ghost gets some really good hard ice most years due to the wind keeping the snow off the ice. I've driven around on the north side but obviously I would stay away from the dam area and I'm a little wary of heading across to the south side but I've seen many do it. One year the ice was very clear and almost perfect but was scary as hell driving on it as it looked like I was driving on water, or ice that was an inch thick, when I drilled my holes it was about 3 feet thick!

As for fishing, I've been skunked every time so far but I have seen fish so they are definitely there.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:48 PM

ya i havent fished ghost in about 4 years but we always caught at least a dozen pan fry every time we ice fished it, and often caught the odd one around 3 lbs. Did well on ling in march at the far end, and have caught trout where the river flows in. to jts1- This guy did quite well and had at least 6 fish in his bucket. I casted acouple spinners in there after boating a ways up the mouth and lost a nice cutty and they were swirling everywhere around shore, so there are fish. Im sure lakers on the main body have slowed down as everyone says but thats why i wanna try something different.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:47 PM

Would this spot still be considered the Bow River or is it actually the reservoir ? Very different catch limits between the Bow and Ghost is the reason I ask. Neither one allows for more than 5 trout at any time of the year however.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:25 PM

if you need to use land other than the high water mark....arent you on the reserve?
Old 12-30-2010, 10:22 PM

i caught a 7 lb burb out of there last year about a 5 min drive west from the main boat launch(on the ice) nothing other then that though, made myself a promise i would never go back after being skunked a dozen times
Old 01-01-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
if you need to use land other than the high water mark....arent you on the reserve?
As I understand it, the high water mark doesn't apply to the reserve. If you're not on the ice or in a boat, you're on the reserve. But, I may be wrong.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:30 PM

ghost river comes in by the bridge I believe. The bow enters down by the little church at the west end . I've fished the west end and got a decent burbot . Long time ago though . It would be a long drive down the ice or a pretty good walk down the bank to the ice . Seen some lakers come out in the spring but very few , it ain't the easiest lake to fish for sure