Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-06-2017, 09:04 AM

Christmas tree storage bags are a nice solution to the draw string bag. They are offer too much room. But better than watching one man bear hug a tent
Old 01-06-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyIam View Post
I just got a pop up tent and have never had one before. once you pack it up and go home, do you take it out and let it dry, like you would with a backpacking tent to prevent mold etc. Or do most of you just leave it in its bag until next time?
This is my first tent as well. My buddies all have tents, and they've said yes to stop it from molding and let the condensation dry up take it out of the bag.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:25 AM

If a Hardcore Ice fisherman, hand's down Clam X400 Thermal, Comfortable, Tough, Good Quality Zipper's, Sled is Tough, Frame Tough, compared to other insulated tent's for Single Flip, Double, 4 person there Fabric & Hardware (frame) is in my opinion Only,.... is Above all, there Expensive, but like most thing's, if want to buy something Once, it's hard not to go Clam. The Four person X400 Thermal is Most Comfortable, SEAT's Side to Side & Front Seat adjustment's, plus very comfortable, better Thermal Fabric mean's less Propane Heat needed, and Zipper's which is Important ARE RUGGED...
Old 01-06-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiity View Post
So far the only complaint i have about my Eskimo 949i is the carrying bag. Being as i go out by myself quite a bit, it sometimes sucks trying to get the tent back into the bag doing the old bear hug routine lol. It'd be nice if they changed the bag from a draw string end loading into a duffle bag style with a zipper along the side.
How long is the tent packed up, maybe it would fit in a cheap duffle bag.

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 01-06-2017, 10:25 AM

Just set my Eskimo 6i up in the garage to air out after a trip (thread reminded me!) and had a pole snap when popping out a side. It's a year old and has seen limited use. I'll see how Eskimo responds to my request for a new one I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 01-06-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyIam View Post
I just got a pop up tent and have never had one before. once you pack it up and go home, do you take it out and let it dry, like you would with a backpacking tent to prevent mold etc. Or do most of you just leave it in its bag until next time?
You should dry them out whenever possible.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
You should dry them out whenever possible.
Even when the tent is left outside in an unheated shed?
Old 01-06-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
Just set my Eskimo 6i up in the garage to air out after a trip (thread reminded me!) and had a pole snap when popping out a side. It's a year old and has seen limited use. I'll see how Eskimo responds to my request for a new one I guess.
If you are out of warranty and shipping is too much(the poles actually are only 3.99 on their website) then you can try checking with some of the local stores like fishin hole. I believe they keep some old poles around in case someone breaks them.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
If you are out of warranty and shipping is too much(the poles actually are only 3.99 on their website) then you can try checking with some of the local stores like fishin hole. I believe they keep some old poles around in case someone breaks them.

Thanks RavYak. I was going to do exactly that. $4/rod but I expect shipping would be $12.95 USD or so...

Old 01-06-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Even when the tent is left outside in an unheated shed?
I would say yes, because we commonly enough have plus temps through the winter.

My first 3 man tent was a costco model and I didn't bother to air it out. I am pretty sure that is at least part of the reason it started to fall apart after only having it for a couple winters(although it was used a year I believe when I got it).

I still get lazy and don't dry mine out at times because I don't have a great place/way of doing it but I really do think it is a good practice.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:

I'd be interested how you make out with Eskimo. I'm having a hard time getting a hold of anyone. You hear so much about their customer service but I've experienced nothing good so far.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Haha. I usually end up giving it a bear hug and having the boy work the bag down. Was going to make a couple straps with a loop on one end and Velcro on the other to cinch it down. I can get it in, just need four hands.

SS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes, they can be a bugger to fit. I had 4 extra straps made up at our local upholstery shop with loops so I can pull them real tight. I also use extra straps on the outside of the bag so that the handles don't rip when carrying it. So far she's like brand new after 3 years.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:22 PM

Just traded the HT in for an Eskimo Quickfish 3i. Once again, I looked at the Woods tent long and hard, but after the "I told you so" my wife gave me over the HT I figured I'd better get an Eskimo.

I think this tent will work great for what I need this year, just fishing with my daughter. When the whole family comes fishing, I'm hoping my wife and two daughters can fish in it half comfortably, I'd rather be outside and moving around anyways.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:59 PM

https://vimeo.com/198392280

First time posting a video through Tapatalk so we will see how it works.

This is a short video of my family of 5 inside the Quickfish 6i. We only had 4 holes as the youngest tag teamed with mom (and claimed all fish from the hole as hers). Hopefully this gives folks an idea on space.

Don't knock me too hard on the small perch. The kids had fun and we did get some better ones. This was on Makwa Lake in Sask.

SS

Old 01-06-2017, 02:42 PM

we've got a Clam Basecamp. It's supposed to be a 4-man, but fishes 2 comfortably. Great tent that we got cheap from a friend, but we want to upgrade to a double-sized unit sometime, just so we can have more friends along. Right now, tho, with the current one, a Portable Buddy keeps it toasty warm for hours. We'll have to upgrade the Buddy when we upgrade the tent...
Old 01-06-2017, 03:01 PM

I am happy with the quality of my Eskimo Quickfish 5. I like the open shape and height.

Cabela's has the Clam Garage on sale for $200. Looks to be the ultimate tent to me.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I am happy with the quality of my Eskimo Quickfish 5. I like the open shape and height.

Cabela's has the Clam Garage on sale for $200. Looks to be the ultimate tent to me.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Yeah, I took the new 3i out of the box and set it up, so far it looks pretty good. Far better quality than the HT in pretty much every department, easily big enough for 3 and could probably fish my whole family of 4 if needed. I don't know if its just because its the insulated model, but the carry bag I got with it is HUGE! This bag is a fair bit bigger than the one that came with the six man HT, The tent goes back in super easy!

Very happy with the trade! For awhile I kept thinking about going back and getting the Woods 4 man which was a bit bigger, but now I'm over that. Thanks for the input guys. I should have it out next week a couple of times and I'll give a better review.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:47 AM

Purchased a Clam Bigfoot XL4000T in November of 2012 and have never looked back.. It gets used hard and lots... No broken poles, no ripped fabric, no zipper issues.. Has never been dried out until the temperatures warm up for the summer months.. Goes back in the bag with relative ease... Can't speak for customer service as it has never been needed.. I think this thing is bulletproof and would never switch to an Eskimo brand
Old 01-07-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubb View Post
I recently bought an Eskimo 949i and the third time I had it out 2 of the hubs broke. I read a lot about how great the customer service is but I've been disappointed. I've called twice now and have left two messages and have yet to get a call back. Tomorrow I will be calling cabelas to see if they can help me out. It's too bad because my initial opinion of the tent was really good, great zippers, replaceable windows, heavy duty bag are all positives. It's a good thing I didn't sell my old Otter yet.
So just an update on this. I finally got to talk to a person at Eskimo/Artisan?? And no questions asked they are sending me new hubs.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
So just an update on this. I finally got to talk to a person at Eskimo/Artisan?? And no questions asked they are sending me new hubs.
Hey Stubb, Great to hear!!!Glad it all worked out for ya.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
I'd be interested how you make out with Eskimo. I'm having a hard time getting a hold of anyone. You hear so much about their customer service but I've experienced nothing good so far.

So I haven't heard back from Eskimo yet, but I contacted them yesterday and don't really expect a response over the weekend. The good news is that I took my broken pole to The Fishin Hole and asked them if they had another one like it. They gave me a longer one and I cut it down to the right length. I asked how much for the replacement and they told me "no charge". Awesome!

SS

Old 01-07-2017, 06:34 PM

anyone have or use the Frabill Trekker Max flip over? Hard finding any reviews on this one.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:25 PM

Default Attention Clam Owners

Where do I purchase an insulated Clam Flip tent. The only one I can find anywhere is the Nanook. I was hoping to buy a heavier insulated model. 900-1800 denier. Any suggestions would help.

Thanks
Old 01-11-2017, 01:18 PM

Guys Im hearing lots of issues with the "too small" bags I had the same issues not only with Icefishing tents but hunting ground blinds especially in November. Solved it nicely with a $29 Xmas Tree Bag from Costco. This bag is a similar design to a hockey bag but larger and with a double zipper ( about 6 in apart) running down length of top of bag so that it opens up totally. Its big enough that my ice fishing tent easily fits inside and in fact I can also get my duffel bag in that carries all my fishing gear. It has both an end handle and double top handles and also has couple small wheels so you can drag along ice. Light and strong. Cats meow and solved my problems with stuffing an ice/snow encrusted frozen tent bag in its bag at end of along cold day
Old 01-24-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
So I haven't heard back from Eskimo yet, but I contacted them yesterday and don't really expect a response over the weekend.
Just wanted to update this thread. It took about 4-5 days to hear back from Ardisam/Eskimo. They asked me for a scan of the purchase receipt and a picture of the damage, as well as the S/N of the tent. It took me a bit to find the receipt, but once everything was submitted they said that they sent me a new pole and registered my tent purchase so they have a record should anything else come up.

Seems like 4-5 days is the average response time right now. Likely a busy time of year for them.

SS

Old 01-25-2017, 02:14 AM

HT is like the Walmart of fishing Eskimo makes some decent products
Old 02-05-2017, 10:03 AM

We purchased the 6'x12' insulated Cabelas tent this winter and it's been great. The windows are sealed which I like so it keeps more heat in and there are 2 heavy duty zippers on each door. Being insulated, when the window flaps are done up, it is very dark inside and can see easily down the hole. The poles are a larger diameter than other tents I've owned and seem to be very strong.
If there are any downsides of this tent, they are a little heavy but that's to be expected with the insulated models and can be a bit of a handful for one person to handle. The bag they come with like all tents it seems is a bit small so I had a custom travel bag sewn that's oversized and works awesome.

Watch the flyers, they put these tents on sale. I got $100 back on their 30 day price guarantee.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
I purchased the eskimo fatfish 9416... went through 4 of them in a 2 week period, all sorts of issues but finally got one that was virtually perfect....The fishing hole ( calgary ) was great I just took the tent back and swapped it for a new one each time.... Terry said they take them apart and keep the hubs and poles for parts for customers.... so they should have a crap load!!!! lol