Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-19-2016, 03:04 PM

Default Wild Turkeys

Anyone else have success with wild turkey raising? I released 14 at my farm last July. As of this weekend, there is still 11 in the area. I've seen them on my game cameras. I also had one come into the yard and then she flew off into the valley behind my house.I tried to track her to a nest, but no luck. Last summer I had two next about 500 yards from my house as well. I called in a gobbler last weekend from the same way the hen flew too. So I'm hoping with any luck, that the 8 hens will all hatch out young ones this spring and there will be quite a wild flock. The mild winter sure helped them this year as well.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:59 PM

I have thought about it. As a kid we raised pheasants through 4-H. Where did you get your turkey chicks from?
Old 04-20-2016, 02:13 AM

Good on ya Man. Hopefully some of your brood nests and are successful. Those will be the hardy survivors in the years to come. Being born in the wild will give them smarts to hopefully keep away from Birds of prey and predators.

I was involved in raising some @ 10 -12 yrs ago along with Ring neck pheasant.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:27 AM

Dumb question and not meant to sound bad, can you raise wild turkeys and pheasants and let them go into the wild without repercussion from the powers that be? Sounds like a win win if the surrounding area can handle the release.