Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-18-2016, 07:41 PM

Default rendering bear fat/grease question....

sorry if this has been discussed but search function dosnt work on my phone....

I've been reading and watching about rending bear far and I want to do it this season..

my question is .. once the grease is all poured into jars, do you just refrigerate the jars or do you Have to put the jars in a pressure cooker/boil them for an hour or longer?

ty in advance for your time and any information
Old 04-18-2016, 09:50 PM

I did this with a bear this past year. Once the fat is rendered into lard it is fairly stable and will keep quite a long time. I just poured it into some old clean jars, screwed on the lids and called it good. They all went into the freezer and I would take them out one at a time and store them in the fridge as I used them. They kept just fine and I'm just using the last of it now. Regular lard will keep a long time in the freezer with minimal packaging. I don't see any reason that bear lard would be any different.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:27 PM

If you don't want to jar it...... I let it set in the fridge in an 8x10 dish and then cut it into half-pound bricks. I wrap them in butchers paper and freeze them. Then I can take them out and use them in my baking as I need them and I save my jars for other things.

People in SUVs, driving through their sprawling suburbs, will end the lives of more animals than a man with a bow ever could.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:32 PM

is it unheard of to jar the grease/lard and pressure cook them to seal the lids on the jars? so I wouldn't have to use refrigerator space

or is there just no need to do this at all? id like to give so away too, wouldn't want to give away a tainted jar or anything
Old 04-20-2016, 09:07 AM

Another good use of the lard is making soap. I tried this a few years back when my son and I came home with 6 deer Surprisingly it turned out reasonably well and since it’s only a portion of the fat used, it goes a long way. Oddly the wife really liked it, we are just starting to buy soap again now after 18 months.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:11 AM

I would have to say the best homemade donuts I ever ate were done in lard rendered from Bear fat.