Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-09-2016, 06:32 PM

Default Exo Mountain Gear Packs

Hey folks, well this is my first post on here so it might as well be a question about gear. I was wondering if anyone on here has had a chance to run the exo mountain gear packs and any feedback you might have about them vs the other big ones i.e. kifaru, kuiu, mystery ranch etc. I would really like to hear some honest opinions good AND bad.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:15 PM

Havent used their packs before but on The Hunt Backcountry Podcast i listened to the other day Steve and Lenny from exo were discussing the pack and new products.Episode 26 and i think there was an earlier episode where they talked about the pack as well. Sounds like a great product.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:24 PM

I have one and like it (3500). I hauled out a whitetail last year and it worked well. It is light enough that I use it as my day pack too. I haven't tried the others though so I can't give a comparison though. Only down fall that I have found is that the hip belt pouches could be more like the ones on my Tenzing pack and be easier to open with only one hand.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 04-11-2016, 08:41 AM

I have the 5500 and Is the best pack that I have ever owned. I've had it for two seasons. Did 2 10 day hunts fly in trip to northern B.C. and It stood up very well. Also as comfortable as could be for 65lbs pack going in. The part that sold me was the weight of it empty and the frame material.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerrickLee View Post
Hey folks, well this is my first post on here so it might as well be a question about gear. I was wondering if anyone on here has had a chance to run the exo mountain gear packs and any feedback you might have about them vs the other big ones i.e. kifaru, kuiu, mystery ranch etc. I would really like to hear some honest opinions good AND bad.
Depending on where you are, you are welcome to throw my Kifaru on and go for a walk in Calgary. I know its not what you are looking for but it might give you a good base to form a decision on. 100lbs in that pack is what sold me. All packs will fit you a little different.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticcathinda View Post
Depending on where you are, you are welcome to throw my Kifaru on and go for a walk in Calgary. I know its not what you are looking for but it might give you a good base to form a decision on. 100lbs in that pack is what sold me. All packs will fit you a little different.
Zulu and Trash did either of you have any trouble with your packs sliding down or have issues getting it fitted properly? how is the padding on the packs i.e. stiff, soft, too much or too little?

Arctic I would love a kifaru but unfortunately it is just well beyond my price range especially with the Canadian dollar sliding the way it is. I appreciate the offer to give your pack a try though. Ive always wondered if they really are everything they say they are. The girlfriends parents are from Calgary so I'm usually down there once a month so I may just take you up on that offer next time I am down.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:42 AM

Have 3500 was just fitting it last night, well made packs.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Zulu and Trash did either of you have any trouble with your packs sliding down or have issues getting it fitted properly? how is the padding on the packs i.e. stiff, soft, too much or too little?

Arctic I would love a kifaru but unfortunately it is just well beyond my price range especially with the Canadian dollar sliding the way it is. I appreciate the offer to give your pack a try though. Ive always wondered if they really are everything they say they are. The girlfriends parents are from Calgary so I'm usually down there once a month so I may just take you up on that offer next time I am down.
Never had any issues with the waist belt sliding and it also tightens up really nicely. I haul it packed with my processing stuff and an extra layer of clothes most times so I can't really say if it has a tendency to slide. The one deer I hauled out though it did just fine.

The pack fit me well and I didn't do much to adjust it. There's a video on their web site that explains how to fit it and it's pretty easy to do. The flexible titanium frame is really nice, it moves with you but is stiff vertically so it transfers heavy loads to your hips well too.

When I first got it I thought the belt may be lacking in the padding department, as it is a lot smaller than the belt on my old MEC pack. Turns out that I didn't notice it at all and the padding worked fine, no hot spots or anything too uncomfortable. Like any new pack you will have to fiddle with it and "break it in" but I honestly think you could adjust it, load it up, strap it on and go on a hike the same day and be comfortable.

I also wish that the lid was detachable now that I think about it but it still works but I'm used to that feature from my old back packing pack.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 04-11-2016, 01:53 PM

I believe the newest version does have a detachable lid now
Old 04-12-2016, 11:05 AM

It fit me very well. My hunting partner also owns the exo mountain 5500 and the both of us did have one of the same issues with pack. When we were loaded down heavy and it was hot out so only had a T-shirt under it. The center pad on the waist belt where it went into the small of your back was a bit too thick but you can take that apart easy, just velcro to open it up and adjust the thickness. So was our fault for not pre adjusting it. I think this would depend on your body shape and size. As for the stiff and sore. No marks due to pack after i adjusted back pad. Stiff and sore was due to not being in sheep shape so my fault.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
I believe the newest version does have a detachable lid now
Yes they do. Just ordered a new 5500 this week to replace my 3500. I LOVE thier packs.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:52 PM

Well sounds like an all around decent pack, just wish some of these good packs were readily available here in Canada so we didn't have to drop $600 bucks plus duty and shipping just to see if they fit properly lol
Old 04-14-2016, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Well sounds like an all around decent pack, just wish some of these good packs were readily available here in Canada so we didn't have to drop $600 bucks plus duty and shipping just to see if they fit properly lol
No duty, thier american made.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
No duty, thier american made.
Really? I didn't know that. Is that why I pay duty on my Kuiu stuff ? because it is made outside of the US?