Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-14-2016, 01:55 PM

Default Spear hunting

So last fall there was a thread on hunting with a spear and that it was under review and may become illegal. Has there been any decisions made? Are we still allowed? I couldn't find any new regs and I was wondering.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:15 PM

I haven't heard anything yet. Gonna have to wait till the regs. come out.

Although I don't think things are looking to promising.

From Shannon Phillips

Proposals to establish a permitted weapons regulation, and a split-draw process for
archery, were developed as part of a comprehensive public engagement process to inform
the revision of the current Wildlife Regulation, which expires in June of 2016. Limiting the
types of allowable weapons for hunting will help to ensure game animals are harvested in
the most humane and effective manner possible. This is central to the responsible and
ethical standard required to ensure public support for the continuation of our hunting
heritage in Alberta. The proposed split draw for archery seasons was a stakeholder
initiative, brought fonvard through the Alberta Game Management Advisory Council.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:57 AM

By the time the new regs come out spring bear season is long gone.
Old 04-16-2016, 08:03 AM

Rumor I heard is you're going to have to grow a beard and wear nothing but a loin cloth while doing it.

Grizz
Old 04-16-2016, 08:12 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

If you got the nads to go hand and paw with a bear, long sharp stick have at it...me I will keep my distance.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-16-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
By the time the new regs come out spring bear season is long gone.
It is still legal right now during general seasons.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:01 AM

Using a spear for hunting big game is still legal, for now. When the new Wildlife Act is released (supposed to have been done last year) we will finally find out what the new definitions of legal hunting weapons are. F&W has refused to show anyone what they proposed.

F&W has forwarded the recommendation to ban spears using the results of a public survey as their justifier, despite the flawed question. Results of the survey showed a majority of respondents supported the banning of "spear, darts, and harpoons". Harpoons are already an illegal weapon for hunting big game. The mixing of legal and illegal weapons in the questionnaire was intentional, for an undisclosed reason.....

Of course Treaty hunters will not be charged with using a spear if/when these rules are changed....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 04-16-2016, 11:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Using a spear for hunting big game is still legal, for now. When the new Wildlife Act is released (supposed to have been done last year) we will finally find out what the new definitions of legal hunting weapons are. F&W has refused to show anyone what they proposed.

F&W has forwarded the recommendation to ban spears using the results of a public survey as their justifier, despite the flawed question. Results of the survey showed a majority of respondents supported the banning of "spear, darts, and harpoons". Harpoons are already an illegal weapon for hunting big game. The mixing of legal and illegal weapons in the questionnaire was intentional, for an undisclosed reason.....

Of course Treaty hunters will not be charged with using a spear if/when these rules are changed....

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2016, 11:10 AM
Banned

Unless winchester starts making a gun called spear I doubt treaty hunters would care

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk