Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-09-2004, 12:07 PM
fleshing coyotes

Default fleshing coyotes

I've been having some trouble doing a good job of getting the fat off of my coyote hides. I use a semi dull knife and try to scape it off with some success but their is still alot to get off. what other way is there to do a good job? How long should this process take? do I need a special board to scrape on? Any info would help. I've caught about 20 coyotes this year and have been trying to learn how to properly take care of the hides. I usually wash them as well an want to know if I should scape them before or after washing or when they are partially dried?
Old 02-09-2004, 02:13 PM
fleshing

Default fleshing

I think you should look into a proper fleshing knife and a board. They will make the job much easier. NOTE - I didn't say easy, just easier !!
Old 02-09-2004, 04:01 PM
critter

Default fleshing

Nube,

I use a draw knife, one used for removing bark from fence posts, etc. It is a blade about 12" long, with a handle on each end. Lee Valley sells them, among others. My fleshing beam is a 2 x 10, bevelled and tapered to accept a coyote hide, similar to putting on a sock. Attach the beam to the wall, about shoulder height, and use the knife in a drawing motion. Do not cut with the knife, simply use the edge to build up a roll of fat,and keep it moving towards the bottom. A little practice, and you will get the hang of it. I wash em first, the fleshing seems to go a bit faster.

Hope this helps,

Critter
Old 02-09-2004, 04:18 PM
winged1

Default skins

fleshing board and knife, or a rotary knife if you can get your hands on one. Go easy though as you don't want to injury the hair root. Wash them up without detergent when your finished, then dry them out in your sawdust tumbler. Nice pelts.