Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 05-26-2005, 05:59 PM
Definition of a Real Trapper!

Default Definition of a Real Trapper!

I have heard all the talk, that the ATA was going to come up with a definition of a trapper or somethoing to that effect. Perhaps I have missed something or failed to recieve the latest issue of the Alberta Trapper magazine.

Is this definition ready? Has it been formally released?

Your up for bat, Mitchel! I know you are here! Speak!
Old 05-27-2005, 09:46 PM
JIM MITCHELL

Default definition of a real trapper

This is the second time I have tried to reply ( lost the first one, so this response will be shorter). Marty read the magazine. It has been in the past few issues and the final draft is in the new one. It is called the Active trapper definition and will be brought up at the AGM in Slave lake. It has little to do with Trapper Education but I will try to give you the readers digest version. The ATA is concerned that some trappers are holding lines for purposes other than fur management. Should the ATA come up with an acceptable form of Active trapper definiton then they will support trappers that meet the criteria, and not support those who do not. Should SRD decide to talk away a line from someone who is not an active trapper the ATA will not support the trapper. It should also make some trappers sign on a junior in order to keep the line. The criteria reads something like this. There are three factors ( dollar amount, time on the line, and a management plan). A trapper must meet two of the three factors , three years out of five to retain the support of the ATa. Hope this helps
Old 05-28-2005, 02:27 PM
ttt

Default ttt

Thanks Jim. I just got my new magazine yesterday and parts of my questions were answered.

It's a good start, definitely a step in the right direction. I hope to see teeth in any new laws which back up the ATA's position.

First and foremost... I'm sure everybody is aware that "bootlegging" of fur will potentially become a problem. Non-active trappers will surely attempt to buy or borrow fur from others in attempt to keep their lines. This in ,my opinion must be met with stiff penalties for offenders right from square one, possibly rewarding those who turn such offenders in. I'm sure you ATA guys are on top of things.

Congrats to those members of the ATA who were involved with this new process.