Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-04-2013, 09:12 AM

Default tracker boats

Was wondering if any members own a tracker targa.If you do please list pros and cons and what horsepower you purchased.Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:39 AM

I own a Tacker targa 18WT 2011. pros: Very wide boat, so very stable and comfortable, even in rough water or larger bodies of water. lots of storage throughout the boat. Good price. 115 4 stroke is very smooth, good on gas and you can troll with it.

Cons: it is a very wide boat, so finding travel covers that fit isnt always easy. Got it from Bass Pro in calgary and had a few issues and the service from them was hit and miss. A large section of paint on the underside of the hull peeled away, but Bass pro is going to cover the cost of repainting which was nice of them. 115 is a little underpowered in my opinion, for pulling skiers or for getting to where you want to go in a hurry. had issues with tires wearing. Waiting to see if new axle solves that.

Overall though, I am very happy with this boat. for the price, I think it was a very good buy. Very nice boat to fish from.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:18 AM

Default Buying in alberta

When buying a boat in Ab. You have to operate on the premise that

Marine service after sale is poor to non existent everywhere .

I have looked at those Trackers a few times at B P. and really the prices are not that much cheaper than Lund , Crestliner , Alumacraft the top 3 tin . If you shop
The big 3 may be more but not much more and will last a lot longer.

Tracker hulls have a history of problems in the USA , legend ,smoker craft,
Tracker all made in same assembly plant....kinda cheaply,made.
Poorly painted .

BP .....$99.00 a week for the rest of your life.....that is why you buy at BP
Old 02-04-2013, 12:45 PM

Close in price?, IDK about that one, the fish/ski combos I saw last year lunds were 15k more. The grand irony is the most important part , the power plant is generally the same merc. So the 15k price all in the hull, I was not sold.

This is the one I got.
http://www.trackerboats.com/boat/?boat=3413 upgraded to 115 and the i-pilot.

It lives up at Dorey lake SK, One day I had it out in a pretty nasty day wave wise and it handled it nice. Got it from a dealer in PA that moves some boats.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch101 View Post
Tracker hulls have a history of problems in the USA , legend ,smoker craft,
Tracker all made in same assembly plant....kinda cheaply,made.
Poorly painted .
Yep. Hulls crack over the internal stringers. They have had a few issues like that. Google up tracker hulls cracking and judge for yourself.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:26 PM

thanks for the info ATF. I will watch for that on my boat. I have had paint peeling off issues but no hull cracks yet(fingers crossed) hmmm kinda makes me wanna go under my boat and have a real good look at the hull just to make sure everything looks ok.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:45 PM
Banned

Just don't push your boat on rough waters.
By lamming into waves you can stress the hull out. It's not an Ice breaker boat its a fishing boat
Old 02-04-2013, 03:53 PM

I did google it last year, and my major issues was the lack of fresh data, lots of the threads were very old pre 2k and no one could identify if the failure rate/100 hulls was notably different than anyone elses.

Personally I have never known anyone to have a hull failure with any boat (without hitting something), but there have been plenty of power plant failures. and that is from day 1 POS, not wear out over time.

Even if the failure rates are the same, the company that puts more hulls in the water will have more PO customers and an apparent lesser quality based on forum whining.

I found there is a real lack of reliable data for this.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:07 PM

Default 15 K price difference

If the best one can do on a 16' and 90 merc and trailer is 15K

difference between a Lund and a Tracker ....Then you are only getting prices on the Lund in Nanton Or at the end of the Rainbow in Edmonton .

The difference between aTracker Pro Guide V175 with a Merc 115 .4strk and trailer

and a Lund Impact 1775 with 115 Merc 4 strk and trailer is about 3-4 K.

And no comparison in the boats ....

There are still a lot of Alberta marine dealers living the dream but ask Allyson its more of a nightmare. The funniest line I heard at a southern alberta boat dealer was that he had to make money so he could offer service to his customers after the sale...I told him my buddy was getting lots of service ....he was in for the fourth time getting the same thing fixed.
Very quiet after that.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:27 PM

Default boats

Called a dealer in St Paul regarding a aluminacraft he stated he had the boat in stock but it was a 2009 so I said the selling price must great.He stated no its a new boat and will be sold as new price.Shish can't get anywhere here in Alberta whats up no one deal anymore on price

Im starting to get disgruntaled
Old 02-04-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
Close in price?, IDK about that one, the fish/ski combos I saw last year lunds were 15k more. The grand irony is the most important part , the power plant is generally the same merc. So the 15k price all in the hull, I was not sold.

This is the one I got.

It lives up at Dorey lake SK, One day I had it out in a pretty nasty day wave wise and it handled it nice. Got it from a dealer in PA that moves some boats.
I disagree with you and will give you facts. I just purchased a Lund 1800.

Targa 18ft Fish / Ski with 150 Verado $33,000

Lund Tyee 1800 with 150 Verado $ 37,500

No, smoke, no mirrors, similarly equipped.

I will let you decide which boat is a better deal ................

by my math ........ looks allot less than $15,000 ........... looks like $4,500

got milk?
Old 02-04-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdkeim View Post
I own a Tacker targa 18WT 2011. pros: Very wide boat, so very stable and comfortable, even in rough water or larger bodies of water. lots of storage throughout the boat. Good price. 115 4 stroke is very smooth, good on gas and you can troll with it.

Cons: it is a very wide boat, so finding travel covers that fit isnt always easy. Got it from Bass Pro in calgary and had a few issues and the service from them was hit and miss. A large section of paint on the underside of the hull peeled away, but Bass pro is going to cover the cost of repainting which was nice of them. 115 is a little underpowered in my opinion, for pulling skiers or for getting to where you want to go in a hurry. had issues with tires wearing. Waiting to see if new axle solves that.

Overall though, I am very happy with this boat. for the price, I think it was a very good buy. Very nice boat to fish from.

Guy I worked with had the same issues with his trailer, he wore through 2 set of tires going to slave and back the first season he had it, he fought tooth and nail and bass pro finally replaced the axle, but the hassles they gave him proved bass pro does not care about customer service...
Old 02-04-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
Called a dealer in St Paul regarding a aluminacraft he stated he had the boat in stock but it was a 2009 so I said the selling price must great.He stated no its a new boat and will be sold as new price.Shish can't get anywhere here in Alberta whats up no one deal anymore on price

Im starting to get disgruntaled
Try kijiji lots of gooders on there. May not be brand new though? Depends what you are looking for?
Old 02-04-2013, 06:16 PM

Whatever you do check with people that have bought a Lund or any other boat from the guys in Nanton.

Not one guy I know had a good experience with those dudes. Show up to pick the boat up and all of a sudden there is an additional charge, or we forgot to charge PDI doc fees the list goes on and one.

If it is a Lund you decide on best look to Edmt dealers. Myself I have a Cresliner, ol Bob at B&L Marine can be a bit cranky but all in all a decent guy to deal with.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
Whatever you do check with people that have bought a Lund or any other boat from the guys in Nanton.

Not one guy I know had a good experience with those dudes. Show up to pick the boat up and all of a sudden there is an additional charge, or we forgot to charge PDI doc fees the list goes on and one.

If it is a Lund you decide on best look to Edmt dealers. Myself I have a Cresliner, ol Bob at B&L Marine can be a bit cranky but all in all a decent guy to deal with.
x2, dont deal with Alberta Marine in Nanton. Make the drive to Edmonton or Sask, you will get better pricing and service there than in Nanton. They tried selling me a boat 3 years old for more than the price of a new one cause it had an upgraded fish finder but the price difference wasnt there. Then they try pushing anything they can find on me after I told them exactly what I was looking for. After I tell him I can outfit the same boat but brand new for less than what they are selling for, he tells me that the "other" guys dont give free storage till spring and tells me to go pound sand. Would never deal with them ever.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:12 AM

Smile

Bought 3 Lunds from Rainbow
Marine and never had a problem with pricing or service. Bought all new and upgraded to existing boat. The Lund is one tough reliable and snooth boat in fresh or salt water.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:15 AM

The quotes I was getting last june lunds / alumicraft and crestliners ran 35-40

And the fact is I landed mine for 25k

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I disagree with you and will give you facts. I just purchased a Lund 1800.

Targa 18ft Fish / Ski with 150 Verado $33,000

Lund Tyee 1800 with 150 Verado $ 37,500

No, smoke, no mirrors, similarly equipped.

I will let you decide which boat is a better deal ................

by my math ........ looks allot less than $15,000 ........... looks like $4,500

got milk?
Old 02-05-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdkeim View Post
thanks for the info ATF. I will watch for that on my boat. I have had paint peeling off issues but no hull cracks yet(fingers crossed) hmmm kinda makes me wanna go under my boat and have a real good look at the hull just to make sure everything looks ok.
Check those spots with the missing paint closely. The cracks can be hairline small.
You will know if the hull is cracked because you'll find yourself frequently running the bilge pump and wondering why.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
The quotes I was getting last june lunds / alumicraft and crestliners ran 35-40

And the fact is I landed mine for 25k
............... if you purchased a $33,000 tracker, from a dealer that advertises `no haggle pricing` for $25,000 then you, ....... my friend,....... got milk ........you might even have yogurt.........

remember my example was with a 150 verado

if you are talking a 115 ............. guess what ........... same $5000 difference - check it out on Lund Boat Builder - price it out and take off 18% to 20% .......... because thats `what you can get them for.

Then compare it to Tracker`s no haggle price online at Bass Pro ...........

Let me know if I`m wrong. Maybe Bass Pro will haggle on price ........

I could be wrong ...............
Old 02-05-2013, 10:03 PM

Default X vs Y

My bud has a tracker me a Lund Tyee, yes it was $9k more but lots of upgrades including 150hp over his 90hp. On the water the difference is like little perchy to a lunker eye. We still catch the same fish though. Also to note saved 3-4k by going the Kevin's in Sask. good luck in which ever way you choose.
WDF
Old 02-06-2013, 08:37 AM

I bought a Tracker 175 Pro Guide last spring form Bass Pro. The service is great and we absolutely love the boat, Ive owned a Lund in the past and really enjoy the Tracker. I guess time will tell but we where in rough weather a few times on big BC lakes and she preformed well. The hull hasn't dissolved on me as yet.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 02-06-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:

This is the one I got.

Dorey Lake???? Some big Walleyes there. Guess were neibours, im in Big River