Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-21-2020, 09:08 AM

Default Question about Revolution arms .410

So the kids did their hunter safety when school shut down and they would like to come with me for grouse. They tried my 20 gauge, it was a little long and a little too much for their liking so guess he’s getting a 410 for his birthday in a couple weeks.

I have not had a chance to get into P&D yet (short opening hours) but I see the Stevens M301 and revolution arms both have a single shot .410 for about the same price as a used cooey or CIL.

I haven’t found much online for reviews of the revolution arms shotguns and I realize they are Turkish imports and they slap their logo on the side. I also realize you get what you pay for but just wondering if anyone has tried them.

Long story short, anyone tried the revolution arms .410?

https://revolutionarmory.com/product/sb1w/

https://revolutionarmory.com/product/sb2s/

https://www.savagearms.com/content?p...ummary&s=22557
Old 09-21-2020, 09:43 AM

Which 20 gauge did the kids try? A friends young kids found a 20 gauge single shot uncomfortable, due to the long lop and light weight, but the Mossberg SA20 Bantam, which gas operated, is comfortable for them. And unlike the 410, a beginner can actually hit flying targets with it.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Which 20 gauge did the kids try? A friends young kids found a 20 gauge single shot uncomfortable, due to the long lop and light weight, but the Mossberg SA20 Bantam, which gas operated, is comfortable for them. And unlike the 410, a beginner can actually hit flying targets with it.
They tried my CIL 607, pump action. My oldest is turning 15 and youngest is 12. Neither are big kids, and the oldest especially is not a.... how do I put it.... he’s not a big ol farm boy? I agree hitting flying targets with a .410 is out of their skill set but I figure starting out there for standing grouse will make the day more fun for them as they aren’t bad with a .22 but I’d rather not have them wound animals especially when they are young and learning their hunting values.

They next step might be another 20 guage, but that’s later.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:33 PM

I think a gas operated 20 ga would be a better way to go.

My boy is tiny and has been shooting a weatherby SA-08 youth since he was 8 and weighed less that 50 lb. We started with low recoil 20 ga and loaded one at a time (obviously) but it really didn't take long for him to get used to it. First couple of times he only shot 10 or so but he was 8.

He is 10 now and only about 65 lb and can shoot 100 trap with no issues.

One in the buy and sell right now. It's been a good gun for us. 5 or 600 rounds maybe. Only cleaned it once when it was new and it is running fine.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ighlight=youth

Old 09-21-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren32 View Post
I think a gas operated 20 ga would be a better way to go.

My boy is tiny and has been shooting a weatherby SA-08 youth since he was 8 and weighed less that 50 lb. We started with low recoil 20 ga and loaded one at a time (obviously) but it really didn't take long for him to get used to it. First couple of times he only shot 10 or so but he was 8.

He is 10 now and only about 65 lb and can shoot 100 trap with no issues.

One in the buy and sell right now. It's been a good gun for us. 5 or 600 rounds maybe. Only cleaned it once when it was new and it is running fine.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ighlight=youth

That is a great deal. A person could buy it, use it a few years, and sell it for what he paid. And a far better choice than a 410.
Old 09-21-2020, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
That is a great deal. A person could buy it, use it a few years, and sell it for what he paid. And a far better choice than a 410.
Great deal for sure, 1/2 price. Best deal I have seen on the buy and sell in a while LOL

Old 09-21-2020, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren32 View Post
Great deal for sure, 1/2 price. Best deal I have seen on the buy and sell in a while LOL

Bashaw has the Mossberg SA20 Bantam on for $650, a friend bought one for his 13 year old daughter last week. But that is still a great price.