Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2020, 05:43 AM

Default Kid sniffles

I have a school question?

When your child that has sniffles do you ask the teacher on messenger what to do? A’m i gonna send him/her or not?
Old 09-21-2020, 06:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by abenaki-warrior View Post

When your child that has sniffles do you ask the teacher on messenger what to do? A’m i gonna send him/her or not?
Call Health Link. Pretty sure they will tell you to keep them home.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:49 AM

Keep them home
Old 09-21-2020, 06:55 AM

If in Calgary there is a checklist. Any symptoms and the kid stays home for 14 days (even with a negative test). I assume the same will apply for Edmonton, but for smaller towns idk
Old 09-21-2020, 06:58 AM

If it’s just the sniffles you are best to keep them home for a few days till it passes then have them sent home for two weeks quarantine

There has been kids in my daughters school who have been put on two weeks quarantine because they went to school with sniffles
Old 09-21-2020, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abenaki-warrior View Post

I don’t think many of us will know the Quebec school protocols.

Here they should stay home, if it clears up go back to school then.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:17 AM

Daughter had the sniffles friday. There was a sheet handed out by the school division that has two different sets up symptoms. One set requires a 10 day stay at home and if its the more minor set she can go back as soon as symtoms are gone. Hers are more minor so shouldnt be out long.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:25 AM

Not trying to be an ass, but if you send your kid with sniffles then the school will send her home. It's a different world. You are risking the school itself being able to operate. I had a kid complain of a headache for two consecutive days cuz he didn't want to do his work. I had him sent home.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:48 AM

My niece had the sniffles and her daycare sent her home and she was unable to return until she had a negative covid test or the symptoms had subsided and 10 days had passed.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 09-21-2020, 07:48 AM
Banned

May as well shut the schools down for good, every kid gets a runny nose in the fall and winter. You can get a runny nose just going from a cold area to a warm building. Are they sending teachers home if they have a runny nose?
Old 09-21-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwayzie View Post
May as well shut the schools down for good, every kid gets a runny nose in the fall and winter. You can get a runny nose just going from a cold area to a warm building. Are they sending teachers home if they have a runny nose?
Yes. It's just the way it is right now. Everyone is doing their best to navigate.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:02 AM

My gf is a 6th grade teacher. This morning 4 mother’s of her students started sending messages in messenger asking do i send my kid he or she has a runny nose. After discussing this with her, i say keep em home. I don’t want you get sick and don’t wanna catch nothing That comes from some neglecting parent sending that kid anyway.

The public health ministry was saying that kid’s should stay home 24hours.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:07 AM
Banned

My kid is home with the sniffles right now. We believe it’s because the farmers are doing the fields. No other symptoms. My boy was required to have his brain swabbed before he is allowed back at school. Our kids school isn’t messing around. They have sent kids home already. So now tell me this here, the government has opened the schools back up and if the kids get so much as a sniffle they are sent home unable to return without a clear pass from covid. You can either wait in line to get swabbed for probably a whole day or make an appointment which we did. Now it takes at least 48 hours to get test results back plus we have to have a clear pass doctors note for school. With this all said and done either the wife or I would have to stay at home from work because the day care doesn’t want him either. Now we have lost a weeks wages along with having to put our selves further at risk by going into a doctors office to get a formal note. On top of all this crap the kids education is segmented and going to crap. I could complain about one thing but I’m not sure what? The Government can lick my bag. I’m at my wits end here.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
My kid is home with the sniffles right now. We believe it’s because the farmers are doing the fields. No other symptoms. My boy was required to have his brain swabbed before he is allowed back at school. Our kids school isn’t messing around. They have sent kids home already. So now tell me this here, the government has opened the schools back up and if the kids get so much as a sniffle they are sent home unable to return without a clear pass from covid. You can either wait in line to get swabbed for probably a whole day or make an appointment which we did. Now it takes at least 48 hours to get test results back plus we have to have a clear pass doctors note for school. With this all said and done either the wife or I would have to stay at home from work because the day care doesn’t want him either. Now we have lost a weeks wages along with having to put our selves further at risk by going into a doctors office to get a formal note. On top of all this crap the kids education is segmented and going to crap. I could complain about one thing but I’m not sure what? The Government can lick my bag. I’m at my wits end here.
Yup, kids get sniffles every year only this year those sniffles are gonna cost mom and dad a buttload in wages in an already hurting year.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Agreed. Enough of this Bull Crap. Kids get the sniffles all the time. Not sure how we are just supposed to drop all other aspects of life anytime my kid has a runny nose. To hell with it all.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEDHEAD View Post
Agreed. Enough of this Bull Crap. Kids get the sniffles all the time. Not sure how we are just supposed to drop all other aspects of life anytime my kid has a runny nose. To hell with it all.
Right! Dang it’s frustrating.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
It sucks and I don’t think anyone likes it but it’s better then what kids had for school in the spring. Kinda screwed right now our options as parents are home school or gamble on sending kids to school and follow Covid19 rules well crossing our fingers schools stay open

Frustrating but we can only work with our limited options
Old 09-21-2020, 08:26 AM

My daughter was sent home all last week because of the sniffles.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Any therein lies the problem.

A common cold turns into potentially a week of missed school and wages lost. If you have another kid at home and the one gets something it gets more complex as they have been in contact with someone displaying symptoms (runny nose, cough, etc).

The best solution I can see would be implementation of rapid antigen tests at community level.

A bit of where they are at here....

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...ment-1.5081018
Old 09-21-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
We have to do a health inventory daily. If we have symptoms, we too are gone until we test negative or symptoms have resolved. As I said, it's a different world. They are going to do everything possible to keep schools open so parents can work.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Yup, kids get sniffles every year only this year those sniffles are gonna cost mom and dad a buttload in wages in an already hurting year.
Yeah, and?

You can complain, what's the answer?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-21-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjuanworm View Post
My daughter was sent home all last week because of the sniffles.
Seem to be a lot of kids sent home with the sniffles, which in a normal year would just get a Kleenex. Nephew's wife is a teacher, both of hers were sent home, can't go to day care, now what do you do ?

Grizz
Old 09-21-2020, 10:51 AM

So far both of my kids had the flu already along with a runny nose. Our school's policy is pretty simple. Follow the list of symptoms and "severe" symptoms such as runny nose, flu, and worsening cough means a mandatory covid test. You can go back to school once you have a negative test and symptoms are gone.

If you have more of the mild symptoms such as chills, headache, congestion you simply stay home until they get better. So far with both kids I got results from their test in 2 days so it has not been bad. They have both missed 4 days so far so I expect much of the same going forward.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:58 AM

I have said this from day one, unless some of the restrictions are lifted it will be a gong show. Have you even been in a class room come mid November? The whole darn works are sniffling. Trouble is people are lying about the symptoms already so they can go to work or send the kids. I feel sorry for the teachers having to play doctor and send kids home because they have the sniffles.
Old 09-21-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
We have to do a health inventory daily. If we have symptoms, we too are gone until we test negative or symptoms have resolved. As I said, it's a different world. They are going to do everything possible to keep schools open so parents can work.
Just curious, say you as a teacher have one of the many symptoms and they send you home and you have to be tested. Comes back negative and your back teaching.

And this happens 4 more times in the school year where you have one of the many symptoms, I assume you are off to be tested and quarantined each time after?
Old 09-21-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Just curious, say you as a teacher have one of the many symptoms and they send you home and you have to be tested. Comes back negative and your back teaching.

And this happens 4 more times in the school year where you have one of the many symptoms, I assume you are off to be tested and quarantined each time after?

As I already said... tested each time I display symptoms and if it comes back negative then I have to wait until symptoms subside on their own before coming back.

Is that any different from your workplace? Everyone I know has the same policy at their workplace.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:21 PM

Son had a cough last week so we kept him home. School said needed a test before he came back. Grade three, so as you can guess 7 other kids in his class were also kept home.

Test went good and his cough had gone away in the two days it took to get negative test results. School said if symptoms were gone and negative test they were good to return. Wasn’t that big of an ordeal. Son said the test wasn’t bad but it made him gag.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
As I already said... tested each time I display symptoms and if it comes back negative then I have to wait until symptoms subside on their own before coming back.

Is that any different from your workplace? Everyone I know has the same policy at their workplace.
Oil field here. Pretty much the same policy here except if a positive case they will shut that specific station down for two weeks.
Old 09-21-2020, 02:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Yeah, and?

You can complain, what's the answer?
Let kids be kids and have snotty noses. Build immune systems.
Old 09-21-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
let kids be kids and have snotty noses. Build immune systems.
👍🏻