Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-20-2020, 08:08 AM

Default Those car salesmen!!

So we are looking for a new to us SUV, we have been driving through some car lots and see what's out there and intrigues us.
As we we are driving through these lots the salesmen in their polyester suites are already out there, waving away yelling "can I help you" I'm too scared to come out of my vehicle and talk with them.
Were salesmen always that pushy?
How do you buy a vehicle these days?
Old 09-20-2020, 08:10 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Have all in order on line with regards to exactly what you want....make calls and see what's the best deal...or search for a low mileage one used.....save a lot that way....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-20-2020, 08:33 AM

Looking on line is not the same as in person
Thats just my opinion
Old 09-20-2020, 08:35 AM

I use the Auto Trader to see what's out there, The dealerships usually have their inventory on it
Old 09-20-2020, 08:36 AM

I have found it depends on what dealership...Honda and Toyota? Only get approached if I go inside, as well as one of our 2 Dodge. Other Dodge, Ford, VW and Hyundai will sometimes come out and see if you need assistance, but usually not too pushy.

The Chev guys, or any of the “Euben Hadd” private auto sales? Like flies to a poop wagon, brutal. Might as well have Herb Tarlic from WKRP selling you stuff they are so pushy. Usually i go look in the evening or Sunday, spot a few I like, and phone them before even showing up. At least then you can prepare for the negotiations on that vehicle and shorten up the process.
Old 09-20-2020, 08:36 AM

I hate dealing with them. New or used, it's all high pressure and pushy. When they do that, just get right in their personal space, like 6" away, head on, and ask if they like it? Advance on them. Tell them you will stop when they do. If they don't get the point, maybe try a head butt and run.....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-20-2020, 08:55 AM

There’s more vehicles for sale in this province than there is humans to drive them.

Keep that in mind when they are using there tactics.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:51 AM

Just remember that you as a customer are in control the whole time. Get them to show you the vehicle you are interested in and let them talk to u about price. If the vehicle is not what you like or the price is not what you like be honest with them and walk away. It’s very simple as long as you remember you are in control.
Old 09-20-2020, 10:23 AM

I see you're in Red Deer. Check out Lacombe Ford, they've treated me well in the past.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 09-20-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL Bar View Post
Just remember that you as a customer are in control the whole time. Get them to show you the vehicle you are interested in and let them talk to u about price. If the vehicle is not what you like or the price is not what you like be honest with them and walk away. It’s very simple as long as you remember you are in control.
100%

Walk away and don’t hesitate , I had a guy at kentwood Ford chase after me babbling right till I hit the public sidewalk.
Old 09-20-2020, 10:31 AM

I just tell them on the way to take a dump. and get out of my way

then tell them you already have been helped

and so on

Most cannot give you a best price anyway

always call the sales manager and get numbers unless you have a te]rade in

Denny Andrews guys say if I can get you the best price yiu are happy with will you buy today. very high pressure

look at vehicles and decide what you want and buy at a smaller town.

works every time
Old 09-20-2020, 10:36 AM
Banned

Great movie to watch from the 90’s....Cadillac Man with Robin Williams.
Car salesmen have always been this way😬
Old 09-20-2020, 11:04 AM

When the time comes for me to buy our next vehicle, I'll be getting a burner phone and burner email address. I think I'll probably be looking Canada wide too.
Old 09-20-2020, 11:19 AM

"Buddy"

Lol

Its code for sucker

Find what you want, make your offer and dont waver.
Old 09-20-2020, 11:23 AM

If someone smiling, waving, and saying "can I help you" is pushy, it's going to be a difficult process for you. If you're just looking, drive thru on Sunday, most, around here anyways, are closed and nobody's around.
Old 09-20-2020, 11:37 AM

My wife's uncle is a sales manager at a major dealership and I've personally bought more vehicles in the last 10 years than most.

First off, 99.9% of what you hear and read about car sales is bull**** especially from random joes who buy a vehicle every 20 years. As an example, there isn't 10's of thousands in profit for dealers to play with. Those big discounts on new trucks aren't dictated by the dealer, but by the manufacturer. Just because during "Truck Month" at Ram you can get a new truck for $10,000 off, doesn't mean you can $10K off the next month since the manufacturer is the one taking that $10K hit during the promo, not the dealer. Salesmen are people too, they're paid by commission. They depend on you buying in order to pay their bills. A good salesman will present multiple options, encourage you to purchase this or that, and not sell at a rate that doesn't make him money. You want to get paid for your work, so does he. If a salesman is being too high pressure or you get a bad vibe from him, walk away or ask the sales manager for somone else to work with.

Don't aimlessly wander car lots. Like I said, salesmen are paid by commission. People wandering the lot are called "ups", as in "which salesman is up next?" since they take turns. Do you get annoyed when a Cabela's employee asks if you need a hand with anything? It's the same thing, only the Cabela's employee doesn't depend on you buying in order to feed their family.

How to buy a used car in 2020:

1. Figure out what you want. Make, model, year, options. If you're looking at vehicles from different brands (eg RAV4 vs CRV), it's ok to go to the dealerships and ask to test drive them. Be up front that you're not buying that day, but be willing to hear them out as to why they believe their vehicle is better than the competition. Don't go in on a Saturday or Sunday which are their busy days. Go on a Tuesday or Wednesday, when a salesman is less busy and they'll be more willing to spend time with you who isn't buying right away vs someone else who might be.

2. Once you figure out what you want, spend time on cargurus.ca. Search for the vehicle you want within your area. That site rates prices from great deal down to over priced. Get a feel for what is a good price in your area.

3. Once you've found one with a good price, call that dealership. Make an appointment to go see it. Don't just randomly show up. Having an appointment gives them time to make sure the car is still on the lot (inventory online sometimes isn't updated in real time), that it's cleaned up, has gas in it, is all set up for a test drive and they'll usually pull it around front prior to your appointment so there's no wandering the lot looking for it.

4. Show up on time. As with anything in life if you're not 10 minutes early, you're late. Have your driver's licence, banking information, and insurance information so that if you decide to buy, you're all ready to go.

5. Drive the car. Ask questions. Answer some questiosn the salesman will ask. He may ask "What are we replacing?", "Do you have a trade in?", "What is your primary use or needs going to be with this car?". He's asking these questions to build a profile of you so he can serve you better. Maybe he has a car on the lot for a similar price that will actually be a better fit for you. Knowing about a trade in allows him to give finance a heads up so they do the correct paperwork and he can have the trade in appraised while you're doing other things so you don't sit around killing time needlessly. *Side note - You'll always get a better price selling privately. If that's important, don't trade in. If the hassle of a private sale isn't worth a couple grand to you, then trade in.

6. Great, you liked the car! Odds are the salesman will say some variation of "If we can get the numbers to work, are you willing to buy today?". Your response is "Yes, lets go talk numbers." Tell them you're only interested in discussing sale price of the car, not monthly payments.

7. Remember that price you found on this car that CarGurus said this car was a "Good" price? That means there aren't many comparable cars in your area for cheaper. The dealer also knows this. They don't arbitrarily slap prices on cars. They base their price on market value. You would have likely seen some prices on CarGurus labeled "Great deal". Offer this price + tax + fees. The dealer may or may not take it. They may knock a couple hundred bucks off, splitting the difference with you. You can try a counter offer, but there's not alot of chance it will work. If the "Good" price was acceptable to you, and you get a couple hundred less than that, take the deal.

8. Walk your happy ass over to the finance dept. Here is where you'll be offered extended warranty, tire and wheel protection, upholstery protection, undercoating etc. The only ones worth considering are extended warranty depending on the vehicle and tire/wheel if you don't plan to change out from the OEM wheels and tires. Personally, I drive Toyotas for personal use. I don't buy extended warranties. For work, we bought Fords. We bought every extended warranty possible and used the hell out them. At the end of the day, it's up to you.

Explain the finance guy you're not interested in any extras. He'll still likely go through them all with you and have you sign a "declined offer" sheet. This is his job. He gets paid based on the product he sells. Let him do his thing, just politely say no thanks to each one and sign the declined offer sheet.

9. Finance and/or pay for your car. It's pretty rare these days for banks to beat dealership financing especially on new cars. It never hurts to let the dealership run your credit to get you a rate, even if you're bringing your own financing from a credit union or bank. Used car rates at dealers hover around 5%, even with top notch credit fyi.

10. Drive home in your new car.

A couple points to debunk internet theories:

- Don't spring your trade on them last minute. That changes the terms of the deal. The dealer was working the deal not expecting a trade, then has to change everything. It's a pain in the ass and nobody ends up happy.

- Paying cash will not get you a better price. Those days are over. In fact, financing often gets you a better price. Dealerships get kickbacks from banks for financing. If you really don't want a payment, finance with the dealer to get the price. In 90 days, call up the finance bank and pay the whole thing off. Dealer gets his kickback, you get a good price on the car, win-win

- Don't assume every salesman is trying to scam you. They would rather sell you a car than **** you off and have you leave because if you buy, they get paid. If they **** you off, they lose your sale and probably a few sales from whoever you tell about it.

- Always talk about sale price of the car + tax + fees, or total out the door price. Don't negoatiate based on monthly payments.

- When making an offer, remember that the dealership needs to make money too. Almost no dealer will eat a discount AND pay the 5% sales tax. Factor tax into your offers.

- Be a decent person. Relax and try to enjoy the process. If you do it the way I outlined, you'll be in an out in a couple hours max. Forget about grinding for hours just to save an extra few hundred bucks. Everyone will just get tired and ****ed off. Even a grand or two isn't really worth it when you think about a vehicle you'll hopefully own for 5, 10 or 15 years.

Long ass post, sorry about that. I hope it helps though. Like I said, I have seen the other side of the game from family members in the industry and have bought more than a few new and used vehicles in the last 10 years. Our latest used car was purchased for $300 below CarGuru's "good" price and we were all said and done at the dealership in 117 minutes, including test drive and waiting for my insurance company to send over the temp docs (yes, I timed it).

Last edited by Outbound; 09-20-2020 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-20-2020, 11:52 AM

Default good post

thanks for taking the time
Old 09-20-2020, 11:59 AM

Outbound , excellent post.

Just like I said , we had the slimy sales guy run out at GO dodge, Red Deer Toyota and Red Deer Honda.
But I will keep all this in mind.

I think car shopping is one of my least favorite things to do.
Old 09-20-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskegnmud View Post
thanks for taking the time
X2 - Excellent post Outbound!

My mother worked as a sales receptionist at several different dealerships over a 30 year period. There are some slime-ball sleazy salesmen and some I've gone back to and bought several vehicles from. You can usually tell the difference in the first few minutes...
Old 09-20-2020, 12:13 PM

I bought a used truck this year from a dealer. It was 6months old with low mileage. I didn’t experience any of the stereotypical car salesman bs. I went to a few dealers and looked online. I wasn’t even planning on buying a truck that day. Just happened to pop in to check their invintory. Test drive a truck. Turned out to be exactly what I was looking for. The salesman actually picked it out for me after we spoke about what I was looking for. Then I drove a couple others. Picked the first one. The whole numbers talk went smoothly, I already had a good idea of what a fair price was and what a great price was. Ended up with a great price and a few extras. Their financing was the same as my bank too. Was a very easy and comfortable experience.
It was a nice changed from some of the other dealers I visited. Good honest service goes along way with me. Don’t try to sell me a truck, help me buy the truck that I want.
Old 09-20-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
My wife's uncle is a sales manager at a major dealership and I've personally bought more vehicles in the last 10 years than most.

First off, 99.9% of what you hear and read about car sales is bull**** especially from random joes who buy a vehicle every 20 years. As an example, there isn't 10's of thousands in profit for dealers to play with. Those big discounts on new trucks aren't dictated by the dealer, but by the manufacturer. Just because during "Truck Month" at Ram you can get a new truck for $10,000 off, doesn't mean you can $10K off the next month since the manufacturer is the one taking that $10K hit during the promo, not the dealer. Salesmen are people too, they're paid by commission. They depend on you buying in order to pay their bills. A good salesman will present multiple options, encourage you to purchase this or that, and not sell at a rate that doesn't make him money. You want to get paid for your work, so does he. If a salesman is being too high pressure or you get a bad vibe from him, walk away or ask the sales manager for somone else to work with.

Don't aimlessly wander car lots. Like I said, salesmen are paid by commission. People wandering the lot are called "ups", as in "which salesman is up next?" since they take turns. Do you get annoyed when a Cabela's employee asks if you need a hand with anything? It's the same thing, only the Cabela's employee doesn't depend on you buying in order to feed their family.

1. Figure out what you want. Make, model, year, options. If you're looking at vehicles from different brands (eg RAV4 vs CRV), it's ok to go to the dealerships and ask to test drive them. Be up front that you're not buying that day, but be willing to hear them out as to why they believe their vehicle is better than the competition. Don't go in on a Saturday or Sunday which are their busy days. Go on a Tuesday or Wednesday, when a salesman is less busy and they'll be more willing to spend time with you who isn't buying right away vs someone else who might be.

2. Once you figure out what you want, spend time on cargurus.ca. Search for the vehicle you want within your area. That site rates prices from great deal down to over priced. Get a feel for what is a good price in your area.

3. Once you've found one with a good price, call that dealership. Make an appointment to go see it. Don't just randomly show up. Having an appointment gives them time to make sure the car is still on the lot (inventory online sometimes isn't updated in real time), that it's cleaned up, has gas in it, is all set up for a test drive and they'll usually pull it around front prior to your appointment so there's no wandering the lot looking for it.

4. Show up on time. As with anything in life if you're not 10 minutes early, you're late. Have your driver's licence, banking information, and insurance information so that if you decide to buy, you're all ready to go.

5. Drive the car. Ask questions. Answer some questiosn the salesman will ask. He may ask "What are we replacing?", "Do you have a trade in?", "What is your primary use or needs going to be with this car?". He's asking these questions to build a profile of you so he can serve you better. Maybe he has a car on the lot for a similar price that will actually be a better fit for you. Knowing about a trade in allows him to give finance a heads up so they do the correct paperwork and he can have the trade in appraised while you're doing other things so you don't sit around killing time needlessly. *Side note - You'll always get a better price selling privately. If that's important, don't trade in. If the hassle of a private sale isn't worth a couple grand to you, then trade in.

6. Great, you liked the car! Odds are the salesman will say some variation of "If we can get the numbers to work, are you willing to buy today?". Your response is "Yes, lets go talk numbers." Tell them you're only interested in discussing sale price of the car, not monthly payments.

7. Remember that price you found on this car that CarGurus said this car was a "Good" price? That means there aren't many comparable cars in your area for cheaper. The dealer also knows this. They don't arbitrarily slap prices on cars. They base their price on market value. You would have likely seen some prices on CarGurus labeled "Great deal". Offer this price + tax + fees. The dealer may or may not take it. They may knock a couple hundred bucks off, splitting the difference with you. You can try a counter offer, but there's not alot of chance it will work. If the "Good" price was acceptable to you, and you get a couple hundred less than that, take the deal.

8. Walk your happy ass over to the finance dept. Here is where you'll be offered extended warranty, tire and wheel protection, upholstery protection, undercoating etc. The only ones worth considering are extended warranty depending on the vehicle and tire/wheel if you don't plan to change out from the OEM wheels and tires. Personally, I drive Toyotas for personal use. I don't buy extended warranties. For work, we bought Fords. We bought every extended warranty possible and used the hell out them. At the end of the day, it's up to you.

Explain the finance guy you're not interested in any extras. He'll still likely go through them all with you and have you sign a "declined offer" sheet. This is his job. He gets paid based on the product he sells. Let him do his thing, just politely say no thanks to each one and sign the declined offer sheet.

9. Finance and/or pay for your car. It's pretty rare these days for banks to beat dealership financing especially on new cars. It never hurts to let the dealership run your credit to get you a rate, even if you're bringing your own financing from a credit union or bank. Used car rates at dealers hover around 5%, even with top notch credit fyi.

- Don't spring your trade on them last minute. That changes the terms of the deal. The dealer was working the deal not expecting a trade, then has to change everything. It's a pain in the ass and nobody ends up happy.

- Paying cash will not get you a better price. Those days are over. In fact, financing often gets you a better price. Dealerships get kickbacks from banks for financing. If you really don't want a payment, finance with the dealer to get the price. In 90 days, call up the finance bank and pay the whole thing off. Dealer gets his kickback, you get a good price on the car, win-win

- Don't assume every salesman is trying to scam you. They would rather sell you a car than **** you off and have you leave because if you buy, they get paid. If they **** you off, they lose your sale and probably a few sales from whoever you tell about it.

- Always talk about sale price of the car + tax + fees, or total out the door price. Don't negoatiate based on monthly payments.

- When making an offer, remember that the dealership needs to make money too. Almost no dealer will eat a discount AND pay the 5% sales tax. Factor tax into your offers.

- Be a decent person. Relax and try to enjoy the process. If you do it the way I outlined, you'll be in an out in a couple hours max. Forget about grinding for hours just to save an extra few hundred bucks. Everyone will just get tired and ****ed off. Even a grand or two isn't really worth it when you think about a vehicle you'll hopefully own for 5, 10 or 15 years.

Long ass post, sorry about that. I hope it helps though. Like I said, I have seen the other side of the game from family members in the industry and have bought more than a few new and used vehicles in the last 10 years. Our latest used car was purchased for $300 below CarGuru's "good" price and we were all said and done at the dealership in 117 minutes, including test drive and waiting for my insurance company to send over the temp docs (yes, I timed it).
You are a salesman's dream.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-20-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Depends on dealership, I'd paid an extra thousand to deal with a good dealership that I can trust and build a relationship with. That thousand and the relationship, might save me several thousands of dollars over the life of the vehicle in service fees, and maintenance. In saying that get to know the sales manager, not just the salesman on the floor. These are the guys who will need to have your back if the car has any issues. Basically its worth paying for good customer service.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 09-20-2020, 01:29 PM

Outbound, excellent post. Only caution, not all dealerships and salesman are created equal. In general, the smaller family owned places in smaller towns tend to sit at the top of the good to deal with scale, any Goauto owned outlet will be right at the bottom. Dealer Rater will give you a real good feel for most dealerships though don't just focus on the negative posts cause every place has some of those..

https://www.dealerrater.ca/reviews/
Old 09-20-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
My time is worth more to spent fishing or hunting than spending a day getting stressed out and going back and forth with a salesman to try and save a bit of money. Trust me, it will be very rare when you spend all day "negotiating" and save thousands. More likely you'll save a few hundred. If you're already thousands apart in the opening negotiations, odds are there won't be a car sold that day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Depends on dealership, I'd paid an extra thousand to deal with a good dealership that I can trust and build a relationship with. That thousand and the relationship, might save me several thousands of dollars over the life of the vehicle in service fees, and maintenance. In saying that get to know the sales manager, not just the salesman on the floor. These are the guys who will need to have your back if the car has any issues. Basically its worth paying for good customer service.
Good point. Pikergolf might think I'm a salesman's dream, but I'd rather be a dream than a nightmare or pain in the arse. You know how many times I've had favors done by the dealership simply because we respected each other's time and didn't fight to the death over a few bucks? Lots. I've thousands of dollars worth in benefit, and goodwill gestures because I have built a relationship with my dealerships. They won't do the same for the confrontational ***** that grinds them down to the last penny for a sale they lose money on. If I get a fair price for the vehicle and the dealership makes some coin, everyone is better off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Outbound, excellent post. Only caution, not all dealerships and salesman are created equal. In general, the smaller family owned places in smaller towns tend to sit at the top of the good to deal with scale, any Goauto owned outlet will be right at the bottom. Dealer Rater will give you a real good feel for most dealerships though don't just focus on the negative posts cause every place has some of those..

https://www.dealerrater.ca/reviews/
Very true. Some dealerships are better than others. If you get a bad vibe or don't like how a dealership is acting, just walk away. It's not worth the aggravation. Avoid GO Auto at all costs, very high pressure outfit.
Old 09-20-2020, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post

. This is 100% correct. I buy a couple vehicles every 2 years.

Most people think they can get 10k off a brand new 2020 that just rolled in because joe got 10K off his brand new old stock 2019. All depends on dealer incentives given by the manufacturer.
Old 09-20-2020, 05:53 PM

All I can say is, go try and be that 'decent' customer at Norden VW, like I was. And got screwed.

But I did get even at the end and then some.

Actually, nobody should ever deal with Norden VW ever, on any terms, as they are seriously a pack of crooks.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-20-2020, 07:53 PM

So basically its like we all know..some dealerships are good, some are full of knobs. Best to try and decide what you want before hand and go find it on a lot. If you get worked over, walk away and find another lot..theres tons of vehicles and wait until you feel happy with the experience.
Old 09-20-2020, 08:51 PM

I buy 2 new vehicles about every 3 years on average. All pickup purchases I ended up with 20% off msrp. A domestic midsize suv that my wife wanted was 12% off. And $1100 off a Subaru and 2200 off a toyota. Haha them "foreign" brands don't need to bite as bad.

I prefer to grind it out. All hit up multiple dealerships and sometimes it'll take months with alot of dialog between salespeople. Always respectful and if things get any type of tension ill move along. Theres no point being stressed when there is sooo much available to buy!

Alot of the better deals did involve the corporate sales and thats why it usually took time. And I completely disagree with some people logic of spending a few extra thousand to make the process faster. I equate my wage to the savings and until I break even ill dig. 1000 bucks is a 1000 bucks!

But like anything its about personal preference and as long and all parties are respectful its ok!
Old 09-20-2020, 08:51 PM

Worst salesman I ever came across was in a Toyota dealership. Best was a Dodge/Chrysler dealer when I bought my wife's Jeep Cherokee. Kinda funny that even now, the salesman calls me every year on the anniversary of when I got it to make sure we like the car and if we have any questions or concerns. I would definitely buy from them again in a heart beat!
Old 09-21-2020, 05:38 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
Looking on line is not the same as in person
Thats just my opinion
It's a start and narrows the field real quick.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...