Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2020, 01:15 PM

what happened to the days dad rented a trailer for a 2 week family vacation and hooked it up to the Buick with a temporary bolt on hitch and off we went without ever having a 2nd thought about GVWR or axle ratios etc. Whatever vehicle we had pulled whatever trailer we had. No such thing as "lite" back in the day.
I still don't think there has ever been a more dependable or harder working engine than the old GM 350 CI.
Anyway, back on topic, outdoor kitchen is a huge feature for resale, kitchen cabinets are something you never have enough of. outside shower if you have kids or a dog that needs to come inside, 30 lb propane tanks, don't discount bunks if you don't have kids, they make awesome storage. refrigerator, the bigger the better. Bathroom big enough that people can change clothes in. Windows, important that the interior isn't dark and dreary because no light can get in and then need to open and shut relatively easily especially if Mrs is approaching a "change of life", she will want to be able to open and close windows frequently.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Ok another way to look at it....

My rifle barrels are proofed to 100,000 psi BUT are rated for 60- 70 thousand PSI. Wonder why that is?

JUST because the salesman tells me the breaking strength of my pickup's axle is 11,000 Lbs. doesn't mean I should load my truck up to the max load weight and cruise down the highway "cause my truck will pull it with ease".

There is a reason barrels are tested to there burst strength then loads are reduced 40% or so...trucks axles are no different.

There is also a reason most 1/2 ton trucks don't have extendable mirrors on them...So you can't see the tail of the dog, wagging your truck. Or looking like you just came back from "broke back mountain" with your rear bumper scrapping the pavement.

But you do as you like...

Oh, believe me, I will continue to do as I like with regard to towing my trailer.

Your, and other people's concerns are duly noted. But I reiterate, the towing capacity of my vehicle is such that it can pull my travel trailer quite nicely and safely thank you very much. Indeed, it has in fact. To the tune of over 30,000 total km's from when I bought it new in 2008. I've pulled it with a half ton truck since day one and never had a single solitary issue doing so with any one of the 3 Ford F150's I've pulled it with in the last 12 years.

FYI, My truck does indeed have extendable mirrors. It came from the factory with them. They're power too so I don't have to roll my window down to push them out, pull them in or fold them back. I ordered this truck with the built in tow package. Just like the last one I purchased new in 2009.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 09-17-2020, 05:20 PM

I have somewhat of a collector item. I bought my 29’ Eartbound new in 2011. The company built 152 of them before going broke in 2014. They were trying to compete with Airstream. They over priced themselves and just didn’t seem to be very business savvy.

The trailer has no wood at all and other than the frame, is entirely aluminum and composite. Even the cupboards are molded composite with a nice looking fake wood finish. Nothing to rot if anything ever did leak.

It weighs 4700 dry so guessing about 6000 loaded. The kitchen slides out. Haven’t had any major problems, just a few minor water leaks over the years. I did finally wrap the fibreglass end caps with 3M film this year as they were fading a bit. Also had the front rock guard done with bedliner. Looks new again.

The issue I’m currently having is with the Dometic fridge. Works great on 120. On gas, it won’t work after I’ve moved it unless I take a compressor and give the chimney and area around the pilot a blast. I’ve disassembled and cleaned everything more than once. The pilot always looks good even before the blast. I’ll need to figure it out at some point as I’m getting tired of hauling a compressor along when I go camping.

Tow it with an F350 diesel and it pulls like a feather.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Ok another way to look at it....

My rifle barrels are proofed to 100,000 psi BUT are rated for 60- 70 thousand PSI. Wonder why that is?

JUST because the salesman tells me the breaking strength of my pickup's axle is 11,000 Lbs. doesn't mean I should load my truck up to the max load weight and cruise down the highway "cause my truck will pull it with ease".

There is a reason barrels are tested to there burst strength then loads are reduced 40% or so...trucks axles are no different.

There is also a reason most 1/2 ton trucks don't have extendable mirrors on them...So you can't see the tail of the dog, wagging your truck. Or looking like you just came back from "broke back mountain" with your rear bumper scrapping the pavement.

But you do as you like...
Except there's a hole in your theory.. the trucks tow rating is what the manufacturer sets it at, it is far from what they "test" it at.

And every 1/2 ton has extendable Mirrors as an option.

I get what you are saying but comparisons and "points" aren't correct. There's definitely that safety margin everyone needs to determine on their own as long as it meets the rest of the capacities.
Old 09-18-2020, 06:03 AM

Talking

There are load limits ?

130 gallons of diesel (+pump etc)
Digging bucket for a Hitachi 200 + Mounding Spade
Spare tire & other work related stuff

Old 09-19-2020, 03:20 PM

I had an Excursion and a 32’ trailer. We still have the trailer. Pulling was never a problem. Parking was the problem though only a couple times. Literally just two times. However, prior to the hardside trailer we had a tent trailer and i sure miss having the flexibility it provided.

On trailer reliability (thread topic), ours is a Spree. Only minor cosmetic issues over the 12 years we’ve had it. Replaced the awning due to hail damage caused by my own stupidity in not rolling it up.

However last year we replaced the roof as a preemptive measure. Might have been just fine for a few more years but its one thing on the trailer that was quite cheaply done.

I would hope that today’s lightweight trailers ard far better than ours. 12 years have passed.

A few years back we looked at upgrading via used trailers. We weren’t impressed. More wear and tear than i’d have expected and a huge turnoff was the smells. Cat urine? Got the impression that the more expensive trailers were also the more heavily or frequently used trailers. Maybe more full-timers buy them. Just guessing.

Last edited by KinAlberta; 09-19-2020 at 03:27 PM.
Old 09-19-2020, 04:03 PM

This is supposed to be a *camping* trailer, right? Seems people are assuming they now need a residence camp skid - maybe so you can stack 6 of them 2 high around a covered tunnel to share a 20-man kitchen perhaps? This whole 'camping' thing has all gone nuts for some reason.

You're now seeing triple-axle monstrosities with conventional brakes that look like a beetle perched on top of a ball of dung. And which are nearly the height and width of some 53-foot air brake van.

Anyway, firstly you don't want to buy any RV right now. Way too many buyers right now, so you're gonna get hooped on the purchase price and build quality compared to previous years.

Secondly, you don't want to buy an RV at all, at least at the price points the average working man can afford. It's a 'for profit' game, and you get the bare minimum structural quality it takes for you to get you wallet out and sign the dotted line.

You should build your own RV. Automatically that will keep it small and high quality so you can get it finished in this lifetime, and so you won't gag and retch at what's produced. And so you can use special materials and designs and construction techniques that the big builders just can't afford to use.
Old 09-19-2020, 05:21 PM

Build your own? If i was single I’d rather just buy a good sized covered cargo trailer and use that. (We tented for about 20 years. Worked great once we began carrying two tents. A pup tent for setting up in the rain. A big dome for us and the dogs when staying in one place for a few days. There’s no real need for an RV at all however RVs make camping easier and more restful. (Having a tent slap you in the face in a storm and tearing apart at the seams isn't restful.)

I agree basic is better a lot of the time. I’d dump the fixed seating and much of the kitchen if I could. We just BBQ and never use the oven or stove top. Fridge and sink are regularly used. Never use the TV or radio either. Slides are great!!!

Last edited by KinAlberta; 09-19-2020 at 05:33 PM.
Old 09-20-2020, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty View Post
You should build your own RV. Automatically that will keep it small and high quality so you can get it finished in this lifetime, and so you won't gag and retch at what's produced. And so you can use special materials and designs and construction techniques that the big builders just can't afford to use.
I have a 28' (I think it's 28') pull type trailer.
Back left corner is rotted & roof is soft above it.
Inside is perfect. Everything works, except the water tank has a slow leak. (only tried using it one time anyway)
Been thinking of (trying) to sell it.
Would work well if set up on blocks on some land for camping/hunting.

Or

Strip / gut it & use the stuff in an enclosed trailer ......would work well for that.
If someone reads this & is interested, get in touch....
Old 09-20-2020, 10:15 PM

Your first statement copied specifically says...

Quote:
buy the trailer then the truck to pull it...a HALF ton is NOT a tow vehicle...even though many will tell you so.
I disagreed inferring that an F150 can indeed tow just fine. Your reply adding some random weight which leads me to believe you automatically assume the only RV's being purchased are these giant 40' fifth wheel toy hauler triple axle 15000# monstrosities! There are PLENTY of RV's that fit well within the capabilities of any half ton truck! In FACT if you go to any of the local RV dealerships near where I live the only units on the lot are the small "tear drop" type trailers or those giant monstrosities. Anything small to mid size well within the capability of a half ton is sold out!

You can live in a bubble and over pay or buy more than you need as a tow vehicle that's fine by me, your just costing yourself money or planning on buying a larger trailer down the road. For the record I have a 20' bumper pull that I tow without ANY issues in the mountains behind my lowly F150. Trailer weighs in empty around 3000#, add in all the stuff we haul with us when we go camping, my wife, dog, fuel, firewood etc... and we are easily over 5000#. From your response I guess you would think it's "unsafe" "dangerous" and "outside of the trucks capabilities" to do so, but pulling any number of mountain passes up to 9000', hauling 70mph down the interstate has never remotely felt outside of it's capabilities. I stop just fine and rarely experience the "tail wagging the dog" effect of a crosswind.

Had you ended your initial statement of finding the trailer first then find the right tow vehicle I would have had no issue with your statement. It obviously makes sense as everything's capabilities vary. You add in an assinine comment like a half ton isn't a tow vehicle and your credibility crashes to the ground. No a half ton is not the right vehicle to tow that 40' fifth wheel, but it can tow a 5000# bumper pull just fine.

To the RP, I would look online and find out what features/lay outs fits your family. Then I would hold off a little while as there will be a bumper crop of RV's for sale due to all this covid hysteria. A lot of people purchased them, will use them a couple times, realize the maintenance involved and storing them etc... and be looking to sell lightly used practically new units for dirt cheap. I didn't catch the size you would be looking at, but don't listen to the advice a half ton can't tow anything. If you have a tow vehicle already, find out it's capabilities and stay near 75-80% of the max capability and you should have no issues.
Old 09-20-2020, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Your first statement copied specifically says...

I disagreed inferring that an F150 can indeed tow just fine. Your reply adding some random weight which leads me to believe you automatically assume the only RV's being purchased are these giant 40' fifth wheel toy hauler triple axle 15000# monstrosities! There are PLENTY of RV's that fit well within the capabilities of any half ton truck! In FACT if you go to any of the local RV dealerships near where I live the only units on the lot are the small "tear drop" type trailers or those giant monstrosities. Anything small to mid size well within the capability of a half ton is sold out!

You can live in a bubble and over pay or buy more than you need as a tow vehicle that's fine by me, your just costing yourself money or planning on buying a larger trailer down the road. For the record I have a 20' bumper pull that I tow without ANY issues in the mountains behind my lowly F150. Trailer weighs in empty around 3000#, add in all the stuff we haul with us when we go camping, my wife, dog, fuel, firewood etc... and we are easily over 5000#. From your response I guess you would think it's "unsafe" "dangerous" and "outside of the trucks capabilities" to do so, but pulling any number of mountain passes up to 9000', hauling 70mph down the interstate has never remotely felt outside of it's capabilities. I stop just fine and rarely experience the "tail wagging the dog" effect of a crosswind.

Had you ended your initial statement of finding the trailer first then find the right tow vehicle I would have had no issue with your statement. It obviously makes sense as everything's capabilities vary. You add in an assinine comment like a half ton isn't a tow vehicle and your credibility crashes to the ground. No a half ton is not the right vehicle to tow that 40' fifth wheel, but it can tow a 5000# bumper pull just fine.

To the RP, I would look online and find out what features/lay outs fits your family. Then I would hold off a little while as there will be a bumper crop of RV's for sale due to all this covid hysteria. A lot of people purchased them, will use them a couple times, realize the maintenance involved and storing them etc... and be looking to sell lightly used practically new units for dirt cheap. I didn't catch the size you would be looking at, but don't listen to the advice a half ton can't tow anything. If you have a tow vehicle already, find out it's capabilities and stay near 75-80% of the max capability and you should have no issues.

I would comment on your assinine comment but I would get banned...some however seem to be able to hurl insults with immunity......I have no Idea what the OP is buying for a trailer...so my original post still stands, buy the trailer then the truck...FYI there is a lot of calculators out there to figure out...WHY I made my original statement...but salavee.....
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 09-21-2020, 03:59 PM

The term 1/2 is obsolete today. Gone long ago but I get the point.
It is 150 or 1500 series pick up, for domestic and a name for all the others.
But to say a 150 is not a truck for towing is not right.

Properly configured, these newer trucks can handle a nice sized rv. Some can even carry, not tow, the pin weight of small fifth wheels. I owned one.

Know the limits and pay attention to the ratings.

I feel PAYLOAD is key and most do not go by this unfortunately.

Go to RV. NET and the weight police will get ya......... you need a dually for a tent trailer!!! Having too much truck is never a problem though.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:09 PM

Quote:
buy the trailer then the truck to pull it...a HALF ton is NOT a tow vehicle...even though many will tell you so.
Quote:
I would comment on your assinine comment but I would get banned...some however seem to be able to hurl insults with immunity......I have no Idea what the OP is buying for a trailer...so my original post still stands, buy the trailer then the truck...FYI there is a lot of calculators out there to figure out...WHY I made my original statement...but salavee.....

We can agree to disagree. A half ton most certainly is a tow vehicle within its limits. If you can't articulate an answer without getting banned, that's on you.