Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-17-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Ok guys wrap it up. We need a consensus, I am very interested.
Ok I'll ask. 14ft tinner, 20hp, max depth 45 ft. Needs GPS, DI, making a map would be nice but not a need.Just a transducer out the back. Is this a good unit for me?

HELIX 7 CHIRP MEGA DI GPS G3

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-17-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Ok I'll ask. 14ft tinner, 20hp, max depth 45 ft. Needs GPS, DI, making a map would be nice but not a need.Just a transducer out the back. Is this a good unit for me?

Yep! I would probably look at making it portable unless you have a starting battery to run off of. You can also add the ice transducer and use it as a flasher. Nice having the maps you made in the summer available to you in the winter too.

I have a Helix 5 CHIRP GPS G2 PT that I use in my 12' tinner, as well as ice fishing. I've used it in depths up to 130 ft on Cold in the winter and it reads better than the Marcum VX-1 flasher I have. I also added a Dakota Lithium battery, which cut the unit weight in half and added longer run times.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 09-17-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
Yep! I would probably look at making it portable unless you have a starting battery to run off of. You can also add the ice transducer and use it as a flasher. Nice having the maps you made in the summer available to you in the winter too.

I have a Helix 5 CHIRP GPS G2 PT that I use in my 12' tinner, as well as ice fishing. I've used it in depths up to 130 ft on Cold in the winter and it reads better than the Marcum VX-1 flasher I have. I also added a Dakota Lithium battery, which cut the unit weight in half and added longer run times.
Yes I make my finders portable. Emergency lighting batteries work great. Will look into a Dakota Lithium. You can use that finder as a flasher? or are you talking using the leading edge of the scroll?

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-17-2020, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Yes I make my finders portable. Emergency lighting batteries work great. Will look into a Dakota Lithium. You can use that finder as a flasher? or are you talking using the leading edge of the scroll?

It has an “Ice mode” that lets you use it as a flasher or a sonar, or split screen both. There are a lot of different views.

I did a video of mine on the ice that may be helpful for you to see all the views.

https://youtu.be/an8F0372kR8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 09-17-2020, 05:58 PM

Well I picked up a Garmin echomap 75SV yesterday for $600 with a GT52HW-TM transducer. The Gt51 ducer would give me better depth capability but I’ll give this a try. If it works offshore I might buy a 9-12” new UHD Garmin and then centre mount it in the dash then put the furuno up on top and sell the lowrance. Currently I don’t have any room in the dash to fit the furuno next to the new Garmin without getting out the grinder and taking a bit more out of the boats glass which I don’t want to do right now.

I’ll leave these two here

And put the Garmin to the left up where my gopro mounts.

The lowrance transducer will be replaced with the Garmins as I never use the lowrance ducer anymore anyway.

End goal would be able to effectively use the side scan on the couple days a year when it’s not to rough to get a decent picture and find some bait schools and terrain. Luckily the guy who sold it was local to me and I noticed when I powered it up he left all of his marks on the chart plotter so I’ve got a few more places to check out.

I’ll throw some pics and my opinion in the thread after I’ve got some time with this unit.
Old 09-17-2020, 06:49 PM

Quote:

That unit will already have the GPS and mapping on it - so use it if you want but there is value there that once you start using it - you will see how it will, guaranteed, put you on more fish, more consistently far quicker than without it. Guaranteed.

It's an outstanding choice.

You can waypoint (one button push) that will mark a spot on a lake. It could be a great drop off, a pile of rocks, or where you have caught fish before. Really easy to use and pays dividends, as getting back to the same "exact spot" along a shelf or drop off is impossible otherwise.

The mapping is easy to - turn it on and forget about it. If you want to ever see the structure you trolled, drifted or drove over - it's real easy to come back next time and follow that rock pile, or drop off or weed line perfectly with no guess work. Fewer weed snags, emergency turns, and wandering into unproductive shallow or deeper water.

A waypoint is also nice to put down over a dead head, shallow spot, or boat launch on an unfamiliar lake. Things look different in the dark and coming from a different direction - it's a safety thing as much as a feature thing.

Enjoy your unit if that's what you go with - you will love it.