Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-19-2020, 12:09 PM

Default Are you willing to pay more fees to enjoy the Alberta outdoors?

Some think I post these things to stir the pot. Not my motive. I like to get people engaged in what's going on.

So these questionnaire's are being sent to Alberta's parks users by our provincial gov't. If they get their way you better start saving up now so you can just go for a walk down a trail or launch your boat in the next year or two.

I can see some fees would be good if those fees were applied to maintaining trails and such. Somehow, I am not sure if that is where those fees would go. I sort of thought our taxes paid for these things already.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 117820014_10157428104746517_8533629298681879094_n.jpg (38.2 KB, 342 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 08-19-2020, 12:12 PM

I would only agree to it if they could prove the money was put right back into maintenance and creation of outdoor pursuits.
Old 08-19-2020, 02:55 PM

Yes
Old 08-19-2020, 02:57 PM

Only if it went to enforcement of existing laws (no new laws) and enhancing existing campgrounds and creating new campgrounds.
Old 08-19-2020, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Only if it went to enforcement of existing laws (no new laws) and enhancing existing campgrounds and creating new campgrounds.

Yes.

Notice, however, the questionnaire asks for new fees to “support continued delivery of programs, services...”

Nothing about creating or enhancing. The way this government cares for parks, my guess is they are simply interested in charging more for the same thing.
Old 08-19-2020, 03:42 PM

This will force more to rough camp.

Like mentioned if they proved the money would be used to enhance and create new parks, I'd support this.

BW
Old 08-19-2020, 04:02 PM

Not a chance. Government has done a terrible job with any and every dollar in their trust so far. giving them more even if they promise to do something good with it is like giving a junky 20$. He'll tell you its for a cheeseburger but as soon as it's in his pocket all he can think about is how good it would feel in his arm. We are taxed enough already. Period
Old 08-19-2020, 04:02 PM

Default No

I pay enough in taxes now, don’t need any more taxes even if they call them “fees”.
The government, like myself, needs to do more with less in these times.
About %34 of my salary is taken off my pay check as it is, not even mentioning all the taxes on goods and services.
There’s lots of money there, they just need to spend it more wisely.
Old 08-19-2020, 04:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooeylover View Post
I pay enough in taxes now, don’t need any more taxes even if they call them “fees”.
The government, like myself, needs to do more with less in these times.
About %34 of my salary is taken off my pay check as it is, not even mentioning all the taxes on goods and services.
There’s lots of money there, they just need to spend it more wisely.
If it means they keep the campgrounds they were going to close open... then yes.
Most of the campgrounds on the list were exactly the kind I liked... minimal facilities and not catering to the partying RV’er.
As others have said, close those and I’ll backwoods camp and they’ll get none of my money.
Old 08-19-2020, 04:57 PM

Exclamation NO! Emphatic NO!

Stop falling for this diversionary tactic that all levels of government have been using to steal more of your money for years. They convince people they need to implement a user pay fee system in order to maintain services that are already paid for by the existing tax revenue. The new user fees will disappear directly into general revenue...it's a tax increase people!
Cost increases to user fees are not reported as tax increases; meanwhile they continue to increase our taxes in smaller increments and claim they are holding the line. It's lie that people have been conditioned to accept at all levels.

The problem is uncontrolled government spending and unrealistic expectations by society in general. Giving the government another revenue stream that is fed directly from your wallet is only going to dig a deeper hole than we are already in.

It has to stop.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 08-19-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
stop falling for this diversionary tactic that all levels of government have been using to steal more of your money for years. They convince people they need to implement a user pay fee system in order to maintain services that are already paid for by the existing tax revenue. The new user fees will disappear directly into general revenue...it's a tax increase people!
Cost increases to user fees are not reported as tax increases; meanwhile they continue to increase our taxes in smaller increments and claim they are holding the line. It's lie that people have been conditioned to accept at all levels.

The problem is uncontrolled government spending and unrealistic expectations by society in general. Giving the government another revenue stream that is fed directly from your wallet is only going to dig a deeper hole than we are already in.

It has to stop.
x1000
Old 08-19-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
x1000
Yup
Old 08-19-2020, 05:25 PM

Build a boat launch, maybe some parking and leave some crown land is all I want. The rest is all thing I have no interest in an jus attract extra traffic to an area

I would rather pay less and only get the basics
Old 08-19-2020, 05:30 PM

What Urban Redneck said.

Instead of trying to generate more revenue (by taxation), it's about time for all levels of government to learn to be more efficient and less wasteful. Like all of us in the private sector who operate businesses. You compete or you go under.

We are already taxed to death, and 'user fees' aren't even a cleverly disguised tax.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-19-2020, 05:42 PM

Well said urban, spot on!!!
Old 08-19-2020, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
Stop falling for this diversionary tactic that all levels of government have been using to steal more of your money for years. They convince people they need to implement a user pay fee system in order to maintain services that are already paid for by the existing tax revenue. The new user fees will disappear directly into general revenue...it's a tax increase people!

It has to stop.

This^^^^^all day long.
Old 08-19-2020, 05:54 PM

The sad part of this is that the "new" Albertans won't know better. So many new immigrants enjoy the outdoors and will be sucked right in. I'd bet the gov't is counting on this.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 08-19-2020, 06:17 PM

Wink Don't be too sure about that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
The sad part of this is that the "new" Albertans won't know better. So many new immigrants enjoy the outdoors and will be sucked right in. I'd bet the gov't is counting on this.
Depending on which country they come from, I think you will find that many of our new neighbours are much more cognizant of government lies and corruption than our very own homegrown wilfully blind, and the virtue signalling progressives.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 08-19-2020, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Some think I post these things to stir the pot. Not my motive. I like to get people engaged in what's going on.

So these questionnaire's are being sent to Alberta's parks users by our provincial gov't. If they get their way you better start saving up now so you can just go for a walk down a trail or launch your boat in the next year or two.

I can see some fees would be good if those fees were applied to maintaining trails and such. Somehow, I am not sure if that is where those fees would go. I sort of thought our taxes paid for these things already.
How do these things get paid for now? (Betting out of the tax base). How much do we get back if they stop these services?
Old 08-19-2020, 06:38 PM

No

I want to pay less and get more for once.

If I have to be economically responsible, so does my government.

Dont ask me for money. You're like one of those bums at the intersection......
Old 08-19-2020, 06:41 PM

No.

The only paid recreation for us anymore is fishing in BC.

I became truly annoyed going into/through Banff being forced into long lines and made to pay ridiculous money to drive through the park on the way to Revelstoke or Summerland a hundred times, when on the BC end there is mention of paying, but NEVER saw a BC plated vehicle with a parks sticker.

Make Albertan's pay for everything, but its a 'choice' for BC.

NO.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-19-2020, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I’d rather be outdoors View Post
How do these things get paid for now? (Betting out of the tax base). How much do we get back if they stop these services?
They would have to give us back 10 or 20 bucks each but they would try to charge gov't reimbursement fees, postage and expenses of the refund program so they would probably try to bill us a dollar more than the refund we were getting back.
Old 08-19-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
They would have to give us back 10 or 20 bucks each but they would try to charge gov't reimbursement fees, postage and expenses of the refund program so they would probably try to bill us a dollar more than the refund we were getting back.
& the cycle of bureaucracy is complete!

It’d be funny if not sadly true...
Old 08-19-2020, 07:49 PM

You play you pay.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 08-19-2020, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
No.

The only paid recreation for us anymore is fishing in BC.

I became truly annoyed going into/through Banff being forced into long lines and made to pay ridiculous money to drive through the park on the way to Revelstoke or Summerland a hundred times, when on the BC end there is mention of paying, but NEVER saw a BC plated vehicle with a parks sticker.

Make Albertan's pay for everything, but its a 'choice' for BC.

NO.
Sorry Ken but there’s 2 lanes to bypass the parks payment if you’re just cruising through and not stopping on the Alberta side of Banff, but no way around the Jasper one when coming in from BC now. It’s odd.

As far as the discussion at hand, it would definitely be a government idea to bill us more for going out to recreate in our own land. Most of the campgrounds are already ran privately so it’s already been nickeled and dimed there, but now we might be hit with a hiking fee inside our own province? I feel this is the road to having those same ticket booths we see in Banff and Jasper our by Kananaskis and up the Trunk Road soon.
Old 08-19-2020, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughneckin View Post
Sorry Ken but there’s 2 lanes to bypass the parks payment if you’re just cruising through and not stopping on the Alberta side of Banff, but no way around the Jasper one when coming in from BC now. It’s odd.
Yes. Now there is.

Did you drive it in 25 years ago? 35?

I paid many times, there was no going through.

That is fairly recent.

Just because something was the way you saw it last thursday does not mean it was the same for 4 decades.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-19-2020, 09:00 PM
Banned

No.
Old 08-19-2020, 09:02 PM

Default Couldnt Agree More

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Not a chance. Government has done a terrible job with any and every dollar in their trust so far. giving them more even if they promise to do something good with it is like giving a junky 20$. He'll tell you its for a cheeseburger but as soon as it's in his pocket all he can think about is how good it would feel in his arm. We are taxed enough already. Period
We dont have a revenue problem, we have a spending problem. I think tough times are ahead of us and we shouldnt be thinking of ways to generate more revenue we should be seriously looking at what are essential services and eliminate those that dont meet that criteria.

The problem is no one is willing to take it on the chin and show the leadership to tell the screeching harpies out there that there pet projects are getting defended.
Old 08-19-2020, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Yes. Now there is.

Did you drive it in 25 years ago? 35?

I paid many times, there was no going through.

That is fairly recent.

Just because something was the way you saw it last thursday does not mean it was the same for 4 decades.
I have driven that way for more than 40 years and never paid.

Told them where I was going (usually Vancouver) and not stopping in Banff.

They just waved me on through.

Maybe I just got lucky.
Old 08-19-2020, 09:05 PM

Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
No

I want to pay less and get more for once.

If I have to be economically responsible, so does my government.

Dont ask me for money. You're like one of those bums at the intersection......
Let us not forget that the natural beauty and bounty of the province belongs to the people not the government.