Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-04-2020, 07:46 AM

Default Moving to Ontario (Pony Express)

Well I got an opportunity that I cant refuse (especially in todays circumstances) so the family and I are moving from Calgary to Barrie in October. So looks like your hunting chances just got better hahaha.

I'll be driving my stuff out and flying the family so if anyone needs anything somewhat smallish moved or dropped off along the way send me a PM.

I'm looking forward to a new adventure while I'm still young and I will be back out west eventually.

Also is there an Ontario version of this forum? I did some searching and everything I found did not have very much activity.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:02 AM

Try searching

Ontario Out of Doors

Overall I'd say less activity and the layout isn't as easy to read as this one if you ask me.

Overall less activity I would say but could be mistaken.

I would recommend that its worthwhile to remain active here.

Barrie is just south of crown land. An hour or 1.5 hours and lots of acres available.

Only problem is, the crown land requires the same road system as the muskokas cottage area which draws huge crowds on weekends in the summer.

400 north and highway 11.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2020, 09:26 AM

If your a fisherman you will have access to some awesome places and a wide variety of different species. I sure miss that part about Ontario.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:51 AM

I have a big bag of treats out of my kids diaper can that I'll get you to drop off at turdo's place for me.
Old 09-04-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
I have a big bag of treats out of my kids diaper can that I'll get you to drop off at turdo's place for me.
Hahaha. I don't plan on going anywhere near that place but you can mail that stuff direct to them.
Old 09-04-2020, 01:04 PM

There was a deer and turkey hunt on CFB Borden each year. I believe you need to be a member of the rod and gun club to join in.

there is also some OFAH (Ontario federation of anglers and hunters) land around that has turkeys and deer on it. you need a membership for that land as well.

Like mentioned above, you wont be disappoint in the fishing there.

Also, get good with a shotgun. Not much for rifle hunting in Southern Ontario, bow season is pretty long though (Oct. 1st - Dec. 31st if memory serves)

There is also an Elk draw in some areas to the East around Bancroft now, something that opened up after I left there.

Good luck!!
Old 09-04-2020, 02:44 PM

Grew up south of Barrie.house prices are thru the roof now.465000$for a townhouse outside of Barrie.traffic everywhere and the infrastructure hasn’t kept up.60-80 kmh on most highways around Barrie now .seems to take forever to drive anywhere.its always nice to get back to sask where it’s less crowded.for deer hunting around Barrie you’ll get six days in nov or six days in December shotgun or muzzle loader.bow is oct -end of December and u can use a crossbow .best of luck with your move !
Old 09-05-2020, 08:13 AM

Thanks for all the info!
I have a good buddy that lives just south of Barrie and he is an avid fisherman with a couple boats so thats a bonus. I also bow hunt so thats a neat bow season.
Old 09-05-2020, 10:23 AM

Since I left the area (OK. Further east - decades ago) they have opened up a turkey season. Deer hunting with a rifle is usually November only. Deer camp is a big thing, but it is a camp kinda like a cottage. Usually an excuse for drinking, eating and general debauchery. In some areas hunting deer with dogs is legal and is the most commonly used methods. From my understanding ticks have really boomed in certain areas so permethrin clothing may be your friend. And while I can't speak for the Barrie area in particular, IF you ever thought the mosquitos out here were bad, boy are you in for an education. They have seasons of different biting bugs (I was in Petawawa for a while). I do NOT miss that. They cancelled the spring bear hunt years ago, so the population has increased. There was talk of bringing it back but I don't know if this happened.

On the upside, the lake scene (swimming etc) will be far better for the family. Just be aware of zebra muscles and have appropriate swim shoes. And same as here, you get your mix of asshats and good folk. You will find way more cars and way fewer trucks on the road. Oh. And vehicles rust faster.

All in all, I love the shield country. I love the lake scene. I hate the winters. I hate the politics. Have fun. It really is a place that you get what you put into it.
Old 09-05-2020, 11:17 AM

Default Ontario version of AOF

Here is the Ontario version of Alberta Outdoors Forum:

https://ontariofishingcommunity.com/

Regards

Llabwons (Snowball spelt Backwards)