Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-20-2020, 06:09 PM

Default Let’s talk truck caps/toppers

Looking for a truck cap for my dodge 1/2 ton, 5.5 box, i will want to sleep in it once in awhile when fishing. I’m ok with new and understand quality will cost more. What brand names have you guys tried and what seems to be a good quality. Thanks.
Old 09-20-2020, 06:44 PM

How tall are you? 5.5 ain't real long!
Old 09-20-2020, 10:28 PM

I’ve had two Leer canopies now and no complaints. Have had some of my best sleeps in the box. Need a good mattress or some beers though to negate the ridges.
Old 09-20-2020, 10:41 PM

Default Cap it

I recently put a cap it bullydog ? canopy on my truck. It was the cheapest canopy I could find in Edmonton and it’s quite nice. If you’d like to have a look in person pm me and we can meet up. I think it was about $2100 installed Pretty pricey but then some of the expensive ones go up to about 5 grand. Crazy. My dogs appreciate the canopy. Plus I built a pretty sweet little slide drawer system that doubles as a bed.
Old 09-20-2020, 10:56 PM

I had a high rise canopy on the Power Wagon I used to have, I liked the additional height as it allowed loading larger items (parkade access wasn't a consideration for me, so there's that). It looked similar to the ones in the first link below. This company also makes the commercial Spacekap's in the second link, on the chance anyone else thinks that one would be be handy. I'd never have a truck without a canopy, its so much better to not have your stuff covered with snow, or rained on, or worrying about things in the bed being stolen when you're parked anywhere.

https://fibrobec.com/en/leisure-caps/#

https://fibrobec.com/en/model-diablo/

The shop (Expertec) that outfitted my work van had a few of those Diablo canopy's being outfitted for clients, so I know they would sell them.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 09-20-2020 at 11:12 PM.
Old 09-20-2020, 11:13 PM

Default Raider/Leer

I had a Raider on my last truck and it worked very nicely. It was the mid rise, which I believe they say holds 20% more than the lower models. I bought a new truck this spring, one with the baby box and I got a Lear installed. My understanding is that Lear took over Raider, and they seemed to be made pretty much the same. They aren't cheap, I think the last one was $2600 installed. They come from the States, they'll match your paint and I think it was a 6 week wait to come up from the time that I ordered it.
They have a carpet roof and carpet around the windows. The windows are 50/50 in size.
I have never slept in mine yet but I think I'd be fine in it.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:47 AM

Truck caps are great for camping. Easy to set up a removable plywood bed with space underneath for gear. A bit awkward to get in and out. They do tend to leak a bit of water and dust.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:58 AM

One with a cheap replacement door. Cause the garage door isn’t high enough when you back in😕.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims83cj5 View Post
Looking for a truck cap for my dodge 1/2 ton, 5.5 box, i will want to sleep in it once in awhile when fishing. I’m ok with new and understand quality will cost more. What brand names have you guys tried and what seems to be a good quality. Thanks.

I've had Big Steel, Leer and most recently Cap It, . Somehow I got wind of the Cap It store in Cranbrook having the exact color match for my brand spankin Taco in stock new for $900 which was a smoking deal ($1700 in YYC).

Pays to shop around, bought the Leer used in Innisfail -i'd say they are all similar quality and your gonna shell out $2k plus for anything decent.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 09-21-2020, 08:42 AM

I just bought a LEER from Truck Outfitters on Barlow for my Dodge 5.5 box. Very happy with it. Get a tailgate seat kit, they suck in the dust.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims83cj5 View Post
what year and where are you located
Old 09-21-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNOutdoorsman View Post
I just bought a LEER from Truck Outfitters on Barlow for my Dodge 5.5 box. Very happy with it. Get a tailgate seat kit, they suck in the dust.
X2 on that - just put one in on the Tundra, made a world of difference in the amount of dust that collected under the cover.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:53 AM

Look on Kijiji and facebook. I bought one that is like new for $500 for my 6.5 f350, was $2200 new. People trade or sell trucks, or decide they dont want them anymore.

Find a deal.

I got mine for hauling coolers and stuff to ruprt and back, needed more room than a tonneau cover gave. Love it.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-21-2020, 10:41 AM

Aside from the ability to haul taller cargo, the higher canopies are way easier to move in as you don’t have to hunch over as much. Some advertise being able to fit a quad.
Old 09-21-2020, 03:50 PM

I really like my Raider.

Truck Outfitters treat me right.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement Bench View Post
what year and where are you located
14/Calgary/black
Old 09-22-2020, 12:06 AM

They are all junk, including my "premium quality" much more expensive Leer.
Window latches allways break, windows stop sliding, latches stop latching.

Try buying parts for a 5 yr old canopy, good luck.
At only 6 yrs old I got the last replacement back glass in North America for my Leer and was told if this one breaks, throw the canopy in the garbage. Canopy West told me that. And it was only a $600 piece of flat replacement glass that Canopy West sourced for me WAY down south, with ZERO help from Leer dispite many, MANY requests from both of us. Flat out, Leer SUCKS just like the rest, don't be fooled by their "premium" pricing, they most certainly are NOT a premium product. Besides the back glass issue the rear slider won't open anymore and one of the side window latches stopped working

I'm on my 3'rd canopy from as many companies and they were all junk in the long run. Long run being under 10 years. A canopy should last decades, especially for what they cost new.

Pick the one you like the best and enjoy it, until you need replacement parts and can't find any.

I also sleep in mine often when outdoors and I sleep like a baby in there, better then at home even, no lie. Must be the fresh air.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
They are all junk, including my "premium quality" much more expensive Leer.
Window latches allways break, windows stop sliding, latches stop latching.

Try buying parts for a 5 yr old canopy, good luck.
At only 6 yrs old I got the last replacement back glass in North America for my Leer and was told if this one breaks, throw the canopy in the garbage. Canopy West told me that. And it was only a $600 piece of flat replacement glass that Canopy West sourced for me WAY down south, with ZERO help from Leer dispite many, MANY requests from both of us. Flat out, Leer SUCKS just like the rest, don't be fooled by their "premium" pricing, they most certainly are NOT a premium product. Besides the back glass issue the rear slider won't open anymore and one of the side window latches stopped working

I'm on my 3'rd canopy from as many companies and they were all junk in the long run. Long run being under 10 years. A canopy should last decades, especially for what they cost new.

Pick the one you like the best and enjoy it, until you need replacement parts and can't find any.

I also sleep in mine often when outdoors and I sleep like a baby in there, better then at home even, no lie. Must be the fresh air.
Amen to the junk/value comments.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 09-22-2020, 10:04 AM

I bought a new Range Rider for my 1996 Dodge 2500 Ram Long Box from Canopy West on Yellowhead and 149 St. About 5 years ago I had Canopy West repaint the fading fibreglass, $450, for a perfect paint match to the truck and install a work window on the right side, $210, to match the work window on the left. Those work windows are the handiest thing ever on a canopy. Two years ago I had them replace the front slider window, self inflicted non-repairable damage that required new frame and glass to repair, that goes up against the back window of the pick up, $275 installed. I have replaced a couple of handles, about $20 each, and two of the gas shocks that hold the work doors open. Considering most of the miles on that truck have not been on pavement, I think the 24 year old Canopy has lasted well and it is just tall enough that I can back my quad into the box. My brother has had two of these as well, same good luck with them. Made in Canada, easy to get parts, and quite a bit cheaper than the premium ARE or Lear.

http://www.canopywest.com/store/c4/R..._Canopies.html

Truck and Range Rider Canopy

Old 09-22-2020, 10:46 AM

I had a Leer on my '04 Nissan Titan for about 250,000 km. It finally was sagging and the door would not come close to sealing around the vertical edges due to spreading at the base. They replaced the shell and reused my windows under warranty when it was about 9 yrs old. I ran 3 clamps per side and did everything I could to minimize sag and base spread but it happened anyway.

I now own a '15 Leer (as sold by Cap-it and called a Cap-it) on a 2015 F150 6.5' bed. It too looks like it will ultimately sag out and have the same issues as the one on the Titan did. Not impressed that it is in early sag mode at only 87,000 km of use over 5 years. Note that I never take it off the truck.

I agree they should be better quality for what they cost! Good luck with whatever you purchase.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Aside from the ability to haul taller cargo, the higher canopies are way easier to move in as you don’t have to hunch over as much. Some advertise being able to fit a quad.
Ah don't give us that, you can stand on a cooler under a tonneau cover and not hit your head!!!

haha- you are short!

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-22-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I bought a new Range Rider for my 1996 Dodge 2500 Ram Long Box from Canopy West on Yellowhead and 149 St. About 5 years ago I had Canopy West repaint the fading fibreglass, $450, for a perfect paint match to the truck and install a work window on the right side, $210, to match the work window on the left. Those work windows are the handiest thing ever on a canopy. Two years ago I had them replace the front slider window, self inflicted non-repairable damage that required new frame and glass to repair, that goes up against the back window of the pick up, $275 installed. I have replaced a couple of handles, about $20 each, and two of the gas shocks that hold the work doors open. Considering most of the miles on that truck have not been on pavement, I think the 24 year old Canopy has lasted well and it is just tall enough that I can back my quad into the box. My brother has had two of these as well, same good luck with them. Made in Canada, easy to get parts, and quite a bit cheaper than the premium ARE or Lear.

http://www.canopywest.com/store/c4/R..._Canopies.html

Truck and Range Rider Canopy

Canopy West were awesome to deal with, top notch customer service for sure.

I don't know anyone there nor the owner but I highly recommend them, their customer service is second to none. If it wasn't for them I would of never got a replacement glass, they went to work HARD sourcing me one out and calling me every couple of days with progress updates.

I HIGHLY recommend them.