Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-18-2020, 10:55 AM
Banned

Arrow barrett fieldcraft

so not to derail the kimber/sako thread, this one i was getting excited for as the super short action on this valkyrie would naturally lead to 6-arc and 6.5 grendel, nothing wrong with the valkyrie other than it can't double down for big game here while the other two can, great choices in lightweight rifles that primarily do class 2 game work, 5 lb rifle

for the usual cartridges looks like a great choice also, hope they get back into production on these at some point...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuLxxf3wyTY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt2cHow7d1M

any abo'ers got these, how they shoot and balance? do they get a little weight out there like a nula does?

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/defpost....u-s-dod/%3famp

Looks like they are making 6mm-Arc’s for military already so as soon as they can expect to see that chambering in the fieldcraft, let’s hope production starts back up on these

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 09-18-2020 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:06 AM

SC

The one I shot was a 7-08. Weighed about 6.5 Lbs with scope sling and full mag. It balanced very similar to my 308 NULA, which is the best balanced Ultra Light Rifle I have ever tried. I can shoot it offhand just great as it balances between your hands perfectly. Balance point rigged with scope and loaded is right on the front action screw.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:15 AM

I heard these start from the Howa factory same as Weatherby Vangaurds. Anyone have information on that?
Old 09-18-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
I heard these start from the Howa factory same as Weatherby Vangaurds. Anyone have information on that?

I heard Santa is real.

Not even close to accurate information. I like Howa and Vanguard but these Barrett rifles are an entirely different proposition. Even the action is not the same.

https://www.gunsweek.com/en/rifles/a...ra-light-rifle

Last edited by Dean2; 09-18-2020 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:28 AM
Banned

Thanks Dean and ya, i don't think Barrett would rebrand anything, they will want to ensure their reputation stays where it belongs and have full control over what they let out of their factory.
Old 09-18-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I heard Santa is real.

Not even close to accurate information. I like Howa and Vanguard but these Barrett rifles are an entirely different proposition. Even the action is not the same.

Thanks for clearing that up. I wasnt sure about the claim either.
Old 09-18-2020, 01:07 PM

Great rifle, last time I checked Wolverine sports had a 30 06 in stock.
Old 09-18-2020, 02:58 PM

I really like this rifle. I had Clay bring one in for me in 30 06. I like the #2 contour barrels they put on the long actions. They point great and balance really nicely. Put a leupold vx3 2.5-8 on it.

The short action had the shorter pencil contour barrels on them. But they put out some special edition 6.5 creedmoors that had the #2 24" barrels, so I picked up one of them as well (traded in a nula on it - was able to get the Barrett and a nice 20gauge shotgun - win win!). Still haven't shot the creed yet though.
Old 09-18-2020, 03:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickn View Post
The short action had the shorter pencil contour barrels on them. But they put out some special edition 6.5 creedmoors that had the #2 24" barrels, so I picked up one of them as well (traded in a nula on it - was able to get the Barrett and a nice 20gauge shotgun - win win!). Still haven't shot the creed yet though.
that definitely sounds like win win, savvy shopper you are
Old 09-18-2020, 03:24 PM
Banned

bolt locks down on safe? push forward to fire safety? what's the bolt throw like? talley rings for it? some lowdown on action/trigger please

if they do start up with the micro action they were slated to release for 2020 before halting production then i could see getting one once a grendel bolt face version shows up, it'd be ok if it were a 6-arc as i'd likely go 24" sendero light proof carbon in it anyway, perfect platform
Old 09-18-2020, 04:05 PM

Safety does not lock the bolt, better trigger than a nula. Larger size screws for the mounts. Very similar to the Nula. All metal is highly polished. Bolt handle is held on via a machined dovetail.
Old 09-18-2020, 04:57 PM

Prophet River just got one in on consignment in 6.5 Creed...

https://store.prophetriver.com/consi...-rings-no-box/
Old 09-18-2020, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
bolt locks down on safe? push forward to fire safety? what's the bolt throw like? talley rings for it? some lowdown on action/trigger please

if they do start up with the micro action they were slated to release for 2020 before halting production then i could see getting one once a grendel bolt face version shows up, it'd be ok if it were a 6-arc as i'd likely go 24" sendero light proof carbon in it anyway, perfect platform
Like Bob said - safety doesn’t lock bolt. Trigger is a timney and really nice. I’ve got Talley lw lows on both of mine.
Old 09-18-2020, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Prophet River just got one in on consignment in 6.5 Creed...

https://store.prophetriver.com/consi...-rings-no-box/
That’s a pretty good price. They were going for $2599 new.
Old 09-19-2020, 02:24 AM

Well, I like the Barrett but I would not trade my NULA fr one. In fact I am so fond of my NULA I can't think of a rifle I would trade it for. I would own a Barrett in addition to the NULA but not instead of it. On top of that, the Barretts are now almost as much as I paid for my new NULA 15 years ago and the Barrett still doesn't come in left hand.

As far as the triggers go, my NULA has a Timney on it so no idea why some think the Barrett trigger is better. They are better than what Forbes was using. Also, the NULA has a three position safety, bolt locks with safety on. Nothing against the Fieldcraft but you can custom order the NULA with barrel length, barrel make, contour, stock colour, and LOP etc of your choice, your choice of triggers and it is a pretty much a hand built rifle for not a whole lot more than the Barrett.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:01 AM
Banned

That clears up the differences! Nula gets more right. How’s Melvin doing? He still building them? Is anyone able to take over and keep it going at same level?
Old 09-19-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Well, I like the Barrett but I would not trade my NULA fr one. In fact I am so fond of my NULA I can't think of a rifle I would trade it for. I would own a Barrett in addition to the NULA but not instead of it. On top of that, the Barretts are now almost as much as I paid for my new NULA 15 years ago and the Barrett still doesn't come in left hand.

As far as the triggers go, my NULA has a Timney on it so no idea why some think the Barrett trigger is better. They are better than what Forbes was using. Also, the NULA has a three position safety, bolt locks with safety on. Nothing against the Fieldcraft but you can custom order the NULA with barrel length, barrel make, contour, stock colour, and LOP etc of your choice, your choice of triggers and it is a pretty much a hand built rifle for not a whole lot more than the Barrett.
I didn’t order the NULA from Melvin, I bought it used. If I had ordered it from him, there would have been a couple things I would have done differently. If I had one of his rifles where everything was exactly to my specs, I’d still have it. I sold the NULA, and after buying the Barrett, still had $2000 left over for a shotgun.

I agree though, the locking safety is a big plus in the NULAs favour, and both triggers are timneys, so I found them very comparable.

And I have an almost 12 year old who gets to go chase deer around for the first time this November. And for some unknown reason he had the urge to pick up a rifle the wrong way when he started shooting gophers years and years ago. I have him set up with a lefty Tikka in 6.5creed, but choices are definitely limited. My favourite choices of Kimber, Barrett, or Winchester weren’t options that were available to him.

If I was a lefty I’m positive I’d own one or two of Melvin’s rifles (probably 280rem if I only had one, 7mm-08 and 338-06 if two - not that I’ve thought about it much....). When my 12 year old is older and can afford to buy his own rifles, I would strongly recommend a NULA to him. Unfortunately Melvin is getting up there in years, and who knows how long he’ll still be making rifles for. And it will be a darn shame when he retires.
Old 09-19-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
I didn’t order the NULA from Melvin, I bought it used. If I had ordered it from him, there would have been a couple things I would have done differently. If I had one of his rifles where everything was exactly to my specs, I’d still have it. I sold the NULA, and after buying the Barrett, still had $2000 left over for a shotgun.

I agree though, the locking safety is a big plus in the NULAs favour, and both triggers are timneys, so I found them very comparable.

And I have an almost 12 year old who gets to go chase deer around for the first time this November. And for some unknown reason he had the urge to pick up a rifle the wrong way when he started shooting gophers years and years ago. I have him set up with a lefty Tikka in 6.5creed, but choices are definitely limited. My favourite choices of Kimber, Barrett, or Winchester weren’t options that were available to him.

If I was a lefty I’m positive I’d own one or two of Melvin’s rifles (probably 280rem if I only had one, 7mm-08 and 338-06 if two - not that I’ve thought about it much....). When my 12 year old is older and can afford to buy his own rifles, I would strongly recommend a NULA to him. Unfortunately Melvin is getting up there in years, and who knows how long he’ll still be making rifles for. And it will be a darn shame when he retires.

I would spec out a gun and have Melvin make at least one for your son now while he is still building them. You can get him to work it off over the next 4 or 5 years. It will be a gift he will have the rest of his life. I talked to him last year and he was still in great form but I don't know that Melvin has anyone lined up to take over for him and even if they did, not sure the guns would be the same. If I had known about NULA when I was younger I would of had one much sooner. Like I said, far and away the best Left Handed hunting rifle on the market and I have probably tried every single make of left hand hunting rifle currently or previously made.
Old 09-19-2020, 11:51 PM

I just need to hold out long enough until you’re ready to sell yours Dean. I did hear the temperature in hell is starting to cool off a little ....
Old 09-20-2020, 12:53 AM

Quote:
I just need to hold out long enough until you’re ready to sell yours Dean. I did hear the temperature in hell is starting to cool off a little ....
Even when it freezes solid it won't matter. I have a left handed nephew that will end up with it. They truly are an heirloom quality rifle.
Old 09-20-2020, 05:13 PM

The more lefty’s the better. My 5 year old is trending that direction too. Just need more manufacturers making more left handed bolt rifles.
Old 09-20-2020, 05:15 PM

And sorry Stinky, for detailing your fieldcraft thread into a NULA/lefty thread. Although Melvin might make a micro action too if I remember right, so he could probably build you a pretty sweet 6.5 grendel
Old 09-20-2020, 05:23 PM
Banned

No problem at all with the derail, it’s welcome. Yes Melvin has a super short action, I think touted another 1/4 lb lighter than the short action. He’s built 30 Ar before, I remember an article thinking man...a Nula Grendel could be one of the sweetest little ultralight mountain rifles ever. I probably even inquired at one point. Would not surprise me if there’s a couple running around out there. So any comments on either of these rigs or comparable more than welcome.
Old 09-20-2020, 06:07 PM

I've only handles one Fieldcraft. I did not care for it as much as my Kimber Montanas. Just my personal taste.

Fieldcraft have a great reputation.
Old 09-20-2020, 08:53 PM

The two position safety and non-locking bolt is a definate bummer.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
The two position safety and non-locking bolt is a definate bummer.
I came pretty close to ordering one. But those 2 things stopped me. Other then that seems like a great rifle
Old 09-21-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Grimes View Post
I came pretty close to ordering one. But those 2 things stopped me. Other then that seems like a great rifle
Lightweight ideal for hiking, but non locking bolt is passable but not the best for hiking.

Unlocked bolt and two position safety great for bench shooting, but unneccessarily lightweight and not the best setup for heavy sturdy bench shooting.

Poor choice for either activity