Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-12-2020, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
There is way better quality hauls out there than Lund

Kingfisher is one for starters
they crack at the welds
Old 08-12-2020, 09:33 PM

i have a 1999 lund rebel 1650 won at the pigeon lake ice fishing derby and yes it leaked the first year we had it , the transom rivet seam was redone over the winter . has been ok since
i also have a 2016, 185 crestliner no leaks but the paint on the transom is bubbling in a couple places not sure why , there is no holes in the paint for rust to start any ideas what this is ?
Old 08-12-2020, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
i have a 1999 lund rebel 1650 won at the pigeon lake ice fishing derby and yes it leaked the first year we had it , the transom rivet seam was redone over the winter . has been ok since
i also have a 2016, 185 crestliner no leaks but the paint on the transom is bubbling in a couple places not sure why , there is no holes in the paint for rust to start any ideas what this is ?
Its signs of Transom rot. I would have it checked out . Take it to Free Spirit Marine in Edmonton. They will know.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:07 AM

Lund makes a good boat for lakes and it’s absolutely a regional thing. By regional I mean interior Canada/USA. You don’t see them on the west coast because they weren’t built for those conditions and they don’t handle them well. Heck, the OP got chased off the lake in 1m wind chop which is quite funny when you think about it.
A more interesting question is why do you see so many alloy boats on the northwest coast? I fished off the Charlottes for 15 years and they all claimed it was due to debris in the water even though we never hit anything. My guess is the (north) west coast guys run them because it’s local lore that alloy is stronger if you hit something, the seas aren’t that big, the distances aren’t that great and they can get away with it.
By and large the ocean market is owned by glass boats because glass usually rides more comfortably and it’s dryer.
I’ve fished through the US and Caribbean and now live in Australia and alloy boats are few and far between. The local alloy boats are all made with 5mm hulls and 4mm sides and both bar crusher and surtees have a ballast system to hold water at rest and the option to hold it in on plane so the boats heavier, more stable and doesn’t knock ALL of your fillings out at once. They still can’t hold a candle to a glass boat in normal to rough seas and they aren’t usually 50-100km offshore. It takes to long for them to get out there at the speeds they have to travel and they “might” make up 5% of the boats I see out on the water. If I do see them heading out in anything less then ideal conditions I’m usually travelling much, much faster then they are and they appear to be taking more of a beating then I am.

To compare a kingfisher at nearly 5 tons with a 6mm thick hull to a 900-1400lb Lund with a 2mm thick hull is a bit of a stretch, they’re not built for the same conditions.
Old 08-13-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osky View Post
Lund is good, but others have come to match I think.
I do agree on the Alumacraft competitor series. I have my eyes open for one now as well but I want the 20 footer tiller. I’m thinking it will be the last large guide boat I will buy. I refuse to pay retail and few are flipping them yet.

Osky
Just straight SEXY, dude...... If I had lottery money and could buy anything, the Competitor 205TL would absolutely be the boat. It's perfect in every way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XepFcy8VM5k
Old 08-13-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
I would be quite surprised if this is transom rot after 4 seasons. It is most likely electrolysis. You might have one or more circuits that are using the boat as a negative ground (wired improperly). All the positive and negative circuits should be wired directly to the battery source.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:24 AM

I bought my Lund brand new. A year in the transom was cracking and the brackets were all cracked through. Called the dealership and they said it's not covered on their "Lifetime hull guarantee"? Had to have it rebuilt myself. Lund talks a big game but when it comes time to back it up they've got nothing.
Old 08-13-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
I would be quite surprised if this is transom rot after 4 seasons. It is most likely electrolysis. You might have one or more circuits that are using the boat as a negative ground (wired improperly). All the positive and negative circuits should be wired directly to the battery source.
Electrolysis has been the downfall of more than one tinny...

I’ve seen a lot of Lunds bubble up under the stickers. Not sure why it starts there but it’s common if there is a ground issue.

The hulls I had replaced under warranty were all small Lunds; WC12, SSV14 & SSV 16. I beat all of them like a red-headed step child. Not from dragging them on shore or hitting things, just big waves and tide rips. The 17’ Proguide I had didn’t have any issues but I only had it for a couple years before moving up to a Silver Streak. Although both were the same length there was no comparison in the kind of water the two boats could handle.

On the coast all Lunds are just considered Tinnies. For the most part a 19’ Lund is big for Lunds on the coast and while I know they get much bigger they are just too much money for something that can’t handle the water without having hull issues and very few would buy one hence why there is no market for them. On a lake, even a big one where you get caught out in the wind on occasion, they excell.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
Just straight SEXY, dude...... If I had lottery money and could buy anything, the Competitor 205TL would absolutely be the boat. It's perfect in every way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XepFcy8VM5k

Absolutely. I plan it riggged with a 150hp if I can find it so fitted.
I have friends still fishing the tours who tell me it’s a wetter hull than the comparable Lunds. I’m sure there is something to that but I still want one. My days of beating my way up lake Erie type lakes in horrible tournament weather conditions are over.

Osky
Old 08-13-2020, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
Lund makes a good boat for lakes and it’s absolutely a regional thing. By regional I mean interior Canada/USA. You don’t see them on the west coast because they weren’t built for those conditions and they don’t handle them well. Heck, the OP got chased off the lake in 1m wind chop which is quite funny when you think about it.
A more interesting question is why do you see so many alloy boats on the northwest coast? I fished off the Charlottes for 15 years and they all claimed it was due to debris in the water even though we never hit anything. My guess is the (north) west coast guys run them because it’s local lore that alloy is stronger if you hit something, the seas aren’t that big, the distances aren’t that great and they can get away with it.
By and large the ocean market is owned by glass boats because glass usually rides more comfortably and it’s dryer.
I’ve fished through the US and Caribbean and now live in Australia and alloy boats are few and far between. The local alloy boats are all made with 5mm hulls and 4mm sides and both bar crusher and surtees have a ballast system to hold water at rest and the option to hold it in on plane so the boats heavier, more stable and doesn’t knock ALL of your fillings out at once. They still can’t hold a candle to a glass boat in normal to rough seas and they aren’t usually 50-100km offshore. It takes to long for them to get out there at the speeds they have to travel and they “might” make up 5% of the boats I see out on the water. If I do see them heading out in anything less then ideal conditions I’m usually travelling much, much faster then they are and they appear to be taking more of a beating then I am.

To compare a kingfisher at nearly 5 tons with a 6mm thick hull to a 900-1400lb Lund with a 2mm thick hull is a bit of a stretch, they’re not built for the same conditions.
That's a total apples to oranges comparison as far as I'm concerned - not even the same type of vessel ... you're comparison isn't even close the way I look at it ....

- Lund's biggest boat is 22 feet (Baron) and the average boat on the coast starts at 24' and goes up into 26'-30' sizes commonly and many of them run 2 full sized outboards

- None of Lunds boats have hard tops - almost every boat on the coast has a hard top

- Lund boats are built to be towed behind a vehicle and launched - the coastal boats stay put for the most part of their lives - the tin is lighter because of it

If I was buying a 16-20' boat for the prairies and Kingfisher wouldn't even get a sniff from me - trust me I really was looking hard at them and they are simply not as good for the way I fish and use my boat. Others may disagree, but for a ski/fish and store my fishing stuff - the Lund was my best option.

Now if I lived on the coast - that's a different story - the Lund wouldn't get a sniff. Worthless on the coast.

Maybe we are saying the same thing here I guess.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
absolutely could be a regional thing. I'm born and raised in Manitoba, and Lund is king. I've known since I was a little kid, when I used to doodle Lund boats and Merc engines in my school notebooks. They even have their own Lund Mania tournament that is only open to Lund owners, which is easy because anyone who's anyone has a Lund. Having said that, Alumacraft is gaining on them, with a few Princecraft and Crestliner owners thrown in the mix. The odd G3 unit, too.
I think you nailed it here ....

I'd say the Princecraft, Alumacraft, Crestliner, G3 and Lund are top quality for that market ...... no doubt .... at that point it boils down to little details and what fits you and your needs in my opinion.

Then you have some mid market stuff that's decent for the recreational guy like Smoker, Sylvan, Lowe, PolarKraft, etc.. a far bit cheaper to get into and will be fine for 99% of the people who use them within their capacity.

Then you got the JUNK they sell in "package boats" from the big box stores with pages and pages of horror stories - I won't name brands here because people will hate on me - but I've looked at these and absolutely was amazed at the crap they build. These boats are fraudulently poor products.

ALL of the above are the recreational, inland, lake markets - not coastal boats, not river boats, but recreational inland boats.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Could be cutting oil (or some other contamination) on the Aluminum when it was cut and put together. The piece may not have been cleaned off properly before they finished it ...... we had that issue on some stuff we fabricated (not boats) but rolled sheet (same as Brunswick uses for boats). The stuff gets cut in the CNC and then degreased -and you have to do that step right if you are finishing the boat.

Yeah, that's a pain, because it needs to be sanded off, get cleaned and re-finished.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I think you nailed it here ....

I'd say the Princecraft, Alumacraft, Crestliner, G3 and Lund are top quality for that market ...... no doubt .... at that point it boils down to little details and what fits you and your needs in my opinion.

Then you have some mid market stuff that's decent for the recreational guy like Smoker, Sylvan, Lowe, PolarKraft, etc.. a far bit cheaper to get into and will be fine for 99% of the people who use them within their capacity.

Then you got the JUNK they sell in "package boats" from the big box stores with pages and pages of horror stories - I won't name brands here because people will hate on me - but I've looked at these and absolutely was amazed at the crap they build. These boats are fraudulently poor products.

ALL of the above are the recreational, inland, lake markets - not coastal boats, not river boats, but recreational inland boats.
Yup anyone who's anyone fishes out of a Lund, really nailed it. Guess I and the other mongrels who don't happen to have one should just bow our head in shame.

Just SMH...lol
Old 08-13-2020, 10:14 PM

Lund has a long history of making quality aluminum boats in Manitoba.
Until Brunswick shut down the factory in Steinbach in 2006 and moved production to Minnesota.
Sad to say the quality has gone downhill, just like a lot of other things.
Old 08-14-2020, 12:03 AM

Quote:
That's a total apples to oranges comparison as far as I'm concerned - not even the same type of vessel ... you're comparison isn't even close the way I look at it ....

- Lund's biggest boat is 22 feet (Baron) and the average boat on the coast starts at 24' and goes up into 26'-30' sizes commonly and many of them run 2 full sized outboards

- None of Lunds boats have hard tops - almost every boat on the coast has a hard top

- Lund boats are built to be towed behind a vehicle and launched - the coastal boats stay put for the most part of their lives - the tin is lighter because of it

If I was buying a 16-20' boat for the prairies and Kingfisher wouldn't even get a sniff from me - trust me I really was looking hard at them and they are simply not as good for the way I fish and use my boat. Others may disagree, but for a ski/fish and store my fishing stuff - the Lund was my best option.

Now if I lived on the coast - that's a different story - the Lund wouldn't get a sniff. Worthless on the coast.

Maybe we are saying the same thing here I guess.

Perhaps you should go back to the first page and read it to understand why I wrote what I did. You got close with your last line but your rant makes me think you didn’t see the guys telling us how useless the Lund is because they aren’t used off our Pacific Northwest coast. Or how Hewes craft and kingfisher make a “better” boat then Lund.
Old 08-14-2020, 06:03 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Top 5 boat manufacturers all have issues periodically....I would always buy a boat based on my needs....even on the coast I could run a Lund....why....because I would like to hit a small lake and enjoy that too....it's all based on personal needs....I fished 20 plus years out on the coast in a tin boat and then hit the back lakes too.....dedicated ocean boat would not be that choice...again it's all about your requirements....needs....wants...desires.....end of the day there is a boat for you out there.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-14-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Top 5 boat manufacturers all have issues periodically....I would always buy a boat based on my needs....even on the coast I could run a Lund....why....because I would like to hit a small lake and enjoy that too....it's all based on personal needs....I fished 20 plus years out on the coast in a tin boat and then hit the back lakes too.....dedicated ocean boat would not be that choice...again it's all about your requirements....needs....wants...desires.....end of the day there is a boat for you out there.
That's how I see it, as well.
Any boat is a good boat if it suits your purpose and gets you out on the water.
Old 08-14-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
Yup anyone who's anyone fishes out of a Lund, really nailed it. Guess I and the other mongrels who don't happen to have one should just bow our head in shame.

Just SMH...lol
Anyone can argue anything they want - like silly useless arguments like rivetted versus welded (when construction and engineering aren't considered) or thickness of hull material …. etc...

But my statement was made on facts.

Things I look at are ….

Marine Ply Floor thickness? stainless hinges on hatches? locking hatches? blue sea wiring harness under the dash? what gauge wire is used? what is the cleat backed under? what is the corner moldings/castings? what is the quality of the seats? bases? pedestals? gauges and aux? canopy? canopy hardware plastic or stainless? how about the zippers and the material? are the hatches lockable? what's the quality of the livewell? how many/what kind of bilge pumps do they have and is one manual and the other a backup? how about lbs of floatation? capacity ratings on vessel? How is the water channeled away from dry storage compartments? are there lift assist on hatches? is the boat have pre wired for radio vhf, fish finders, down riggers and there's power to the blue sea distribution box? is there even a box there? how about being wired for 24v/36v at bow with a plug ready to go? on board battery chargers? Is there a plate installed for remote steering from factory?

How about the resale? The trailer rating for the boat it sits on? max HP the transom can take? LED lights, does it come with brakes? what are the tires and wheels it comes with? does the "factory" trailer come with one dinky carpeted 2x4 bunk on each side - or does it come with 2 full length 2x6 bunks on each side giving the boat 300% more support? what about the trailer suspension? hubs (sealed)?

There are so many things that 95% of the people miss and buy a cheap package boat then cry later when they realize you get what you pay for and it's no one else's fault but their owns for ignoring all these things and having to deal with boat, mounting accessories, wiring, transom, trailer issues down the road.

So, you can "say" all you want and be upset because you feel this was a personal attack of some sort (which wasn't the intent) or you can accept reality and try and be objective and fair to yourself.

The reality is, for the "inland lake production type" recreational boats - there is absolutely no question which boats are better and which ones are not.

That's a fact.

Last edited by EZM; 08-14-2020 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-15-2020, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Anyone can argue anything they want - like silly useless arguments like rivetted versus welded (when construction and engineering aren't considered) or thickness of hull material …. etc...

But my statement was made on facts.

Things I look at are ….

Marine Ply Floor thickness? stainless hinges on hatches? locking hatches? blue sea wiring harness under the dash? what gauge wire is used? what is the cleat backed under? what is the corner moldings/castings? what is the quality of the seats? bases? pedestals? gauges and aux? canopy? canopy hardware plastic or stainless? how about the zippers and the material? are the hatches lockable? what's the quality of the livewell? how many/what kind of bilge pumps do they have and is one manual and the other a backup? how about lbs of floatation? capacity ratings on vessel? How is the water channeled away from dry storage compartments? are there lift assist on hatches? is the boat have pre wired for radio vhf, fish finders, down riggers and there's power to the blue sea distribution box? is there even a box there? how about being wired for 24v/36v at bow with a plug ready to go? on board battery chargers? Is there a plate installed for remote steering from factory?

How about the resale? The trailer rating for the boat it sits on? max HP the transom can take? LED lights, does it come with brakes? what are the tires and wheels it comes with? does the "factory" trailer come with one dinky carpeted 2x4 bunk on each side - or does it come with 2 full length 2x6 bunks on each side giving the boat 300% more support? what about the trailer suspension? hubs (sealed)?

There are so many things that 95% of the people miss and buy a cheap package boat then cry later when they realize you get what you pay for and it's no one else's fault but their owns for ignoring all these things and having to deal with boat, mounting accessories, wiring, transom, trailer issues down the road.

So, you can "say" all you want and be upset because you feel this was a personal attack of some sort (which wasn't the intent) or you can accept reality and try and be objective and fair to yourself.

The reality is, for the "inland lake production type" recreational boats - there is absolutely no question which boats are better and which ones are not.

That's a fact.

Oh trust me I'm far from upset and I never took anything as a personal attack, I find it incredibly ironic however that you would make a comment to me about being objective. You get a little up tight when Lund is mentioned in a negative light you can't deny that. That is a fact. If you read through a previous post of mine I said I wouldn't be opposed to a riveted boat from a few manufacturers. Lund is not top of the list but depending on what I'm getting for what I'm paying sure a possibility.

Why you went on long winded tangent about boat characteristics and manufacturers you won't mention is a bit of a head scratcher.

The "anyone who's anyone" comment of the quote you prefaced your post with is what struck me as hilarious and I have no issue addressing stuff like that. It's a silly argument to even vaguely link a persons worth as a fisherman/outdoorsmen with the equipment they choose to run.
Old 08-15-2020, 11:32 AM

I owned a Rebel 1625XL as did a couple of friends. One friend had hull issues, as did someone else he knows. They definitely are a light duty boat, not suitable for rough water.
Old 08-15-2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Oh trust me I'm far from upset and I never took anything as a personal attack, I find it incredibly ironic however that you would make a comment to me about being objective. You get a little up tight when Lund is mentioned in a negative light you can't deny that. That is a fact. If you read through a previous post of mine I said I wouldn't be opposed to a riveted boat from a few manufacturers. Lund is not top of the list but depending on what I'm getting for what I'm paying sure a possibility.

Why you went on long winded tangent about boat characteristics and manufacturers you won't mention is a bit of a head scratcher.

The "anyone who's anyone" comment of the quote you prefaced your post with is what struck me as hilarious and I have no issue addressing stuff like that. It's a silly argument to even vaguely link a persons worth as a fisherman/outdoorsmen with the equipment they choose to run.
I didn't say "anyone who is anyone" - where did I say that? go back and read it ????

Anyhow .... Nah - don't get me wrong here - It's not even about being "brand loyal" or "blindly defensive" - like I mentioned there are at 3 other brands (for inland, recreational, high production factory boats) I would consider to be every bit as good.

The only reason I went there is based on you quoting me - go back and have a look at what you said - I think my response was appropriate and proportionate. Either way - I'm not interested in offending anyone and I certainly didn't intent to do that.

If you look at my post, I said, All those brands will have many of those items I listed many people don't look at - and quite sincerely, I wish they did - they would save themselves alot of trouble.

In terms of what someone buys or uses in terms of brand, I don't really see that at all as "someone's worth" I have no idea where you get that - and that's precisely why I didn't mention the names of a few brands that are absolute, undeniable, junk. They are - and I'm not here trying to offend anyone - so I didn't mention them. There also was (not sure if they still are) sponsors on this website that carry this brand and some post have been removed when "the truth" about the quality of that brand comes out.

I am not so old that I can't remember when I couldn't buy what I wanted and had to settle for less - I've had leaky tinners, crappy bubble windshield glass boats and a whole host of crap to deal with - and even a few "other brands" (not the 4 mentioned) as brand new boats - and many were junk. It's incomparable. And based on that, I would offer my opinion is objective. The fact that I am confident and adamant in my opinion doesn't mean I'm not objective.

Either way - no big deal - I'm just trying to be transparent, direct and honest in what I'm saying and backing it up with examples.

Last edited by EZM; 08-15-2020 at 07:42 PM.
Old 08-15-2020, 09:49 PM

I still have a soft spot for a 14’ Lund. The first half dozen times I fished Bajo Reef off Nootka were out of a 14 footer back before very few other boats went out there. That was before the advent of the gps and you had to know how to read a compass otherwise if the fog rolled in you would be just guessing which way was back to the lighthouse. In the early 90’s we landed well over a 100 Tyee fishing out of that Lund. Those were the hay-days of Nootka. For every Spring you got in the 20’s you got one over 40. The vast majority of the fish you caught were over 30.

Pretty sad that a decent fish in Nootka now is in the low twenties and some lodges only land a handful over 30 all season.
Old 08-16-2020, 04:52 AM

Quote:
I didn't say "anyone who is anyone" - where did I say that? go back and read it ????

Anyhow .... Nah - don't get me wrong here - It's not even about being "brand loyal" or "blindly defensive" - like I mentioned there are at 3 other brands (for inland, recreational, high production factory boats) I would consider to be every bit as good.

The only reason I went there is based on you quoting me - go back and have a look at what you said - I think my response was appropriate and proportionate. Either way - I'm not interested in offending anyone and I certainly didn't intent to do that.

If you look at my post, I said, All those brands will have many of those items I listed many people don't look at - and quite sincerely, I wish they did - they would save themselves alot of trouble.

In terms of what someone buys or uses in terms of brand, I don't really see that at all as "someone's worth" I have no idea where you get that - and that's precisely why I didn't mention the names of a few brands that are absolute, undeniable, junk. They are - and I'm not here trying to offend anyone - so I didn't mention them. There also was (not sure if they still are) sponsors on this website that carry this brand and some post have been removed when "the truth" about the quality of that brand comes out.

I am not so old that I can't remember when I couldn't buy what I wanted and had to settle for less - I've had leaky tinners, crappy bubble windshield glass boats and a whole host of crap to deal with - and even a few "other brands" (not the 4 mentioned) as brand new boats - and many were junk. It's incomparable. And based on that, I would offer my opinion is objective. The fact that I am confident and adamant in my opinion doesn't mean I'm not objective.

Either way - no big deal - I'm just trying to be transparent, direct and honest in what I'm saying and backing it up with examples.
I think if you re read post #41 and the quote you used there to preface with it might make more sense as to where I was coming from.
Old 08-16-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
I think if you re read post #41 and the quote you used there to preface with it might make more sense as to where I was coming from.
I was responding to someone's else's post ........... like I said ....... that statement never came from me.

I'm not interested in going in circles with you.

Like I have stated in my posts - there are a few premium brands out there in that recreational, inland lake, manufactured boat category which are great.

Lund is one of them. I own a Lund for that reason. I will not apologize for that nor will I be vilified or have words put into my mouth.

Last edited by EZM; 08-16-2020 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-16-2020, 08:31 PM

Quote:
I was responding to someone's else's post ........... like I said ....... that statement never came from me.

I'm not interested in going in circles with you.

Like I have stated in my posts - there are a few premium brands out there in that recreational, inland lake, manufactured boat category which are great.

Lund is one of them. I own a Lund for that reason. I will not apologize for that nor will I be vilified or have words put into my mouth.
I know and honestly this is getting a bit silly, way off track and I'll take some blame for that however I replied to your post with the quote that you stated "nailed it" just to address two posts in one. I'm just going to leave it there as it seems there is a lot of misinterpretation going on and I as well don't feel like going around in circles.

Not asking you to apologize for anything, that is actually 100% the opposite of my mentality here and I guess I didn't articulate that well enough.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Perhaps you should go back to the first page and read it to understand why I wrote what I did. You got close with your last line but your rant makes me think you didn’t see the guys telling us how useless the Lund is because they aren’t used off our Pacific Northwest coast. Or how Hewes craft and kingfisher make a “better” boat then Lund.
Yeah actually, should quoted the other contributor - my post was in support of what you were saying and adding to it - sorry - that was kinda awkward actually. lol.
Old 08-16-2020, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Yeah actually, should quoted the other contributor - my post was in support of what you were saying and adding to it - sorry - that was kinda awkward actually. lol.
All good mate. I agree and I owned a Lund when I fished Alberta/sask and would again most likely if I moved back.
Now fishing the coast I own a 21’ glass boat and naturally want a bigger one but the wife gave me a budget so I’ll live with what I’ve got. In a couple more years I see a 30’ Boston whaler sitting out front with twin 250’s.
Old 08-17-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
All good mate. I agree and I owned a Lund when I fished Alberta/sask and would again most likely if I moved back.
Now fishing the coast I own a 21’ glass boat and naturally want a bigger one but the wife gave me a budget so I’ll live with what I’ve got. In a couple more years I see a 30’ Boston whaler sitting out front with twin 250’s.
Unfortunately all the new Boston Walers are Mercs.

I personally prefer the Yamaha twins for anything over 200hp per engine.

Honda's are great too but they max out at 225/250 hp.

Seems to me the only time you see Mercs in the salt is in Florida. Very few on the coast out here I think (at least far fewer compared to other brands).
Old 08-17-2020, 02:16 PM

Default Lund Hull issues

Quote:
Unfortunately all the new Boston Walers are Mercs.

I personally prefer the Yamaha twins for anything over 200hp per engine.

Honda's are great too but they max out at 225/250 hp.

Seems to me the only time you see Mercs in the salt is in Florida. Very few on the coast out here I think (at least far fewer compared to other brands).

Yea to see a merc here is as rare as rocking horse chit. I don’t know if I’ve seen five of them in the past year. The saltwater market is disproportionately OWNED by Suzuki here, then Yamaha and between those two they easily command 90+% of the market. Honda fits in with mercury, probably haven’t seen more then a half dozen of them.

The real sin is that most of the yank built boats are low at the gunnels toward the stern. I haven’t climbed in a 285 conquest yet but it appears to maintain some height around the dance floor which we need because we don’t get the calm seas the ‘mericans are spoiled with.

I need something a little bigger to sleep the family and be able to put a gyro in. The wife’s prone to getting sick in seas over a meter, meter and a half and she won’t sleep five on the boat we’ve got. Later this week I’ll take the boys to a chain of islands about 400km north and 60km offshore for a few days of fishing and with a larger boat the girls could come too.

We are going to sleep inside the lagoon here on lady Musgrave and fish north up the string of islands. Probably more reconnaissance then success being as I’ve never been there but a mans got to start somewhere.

Last edited by Coiloil37; 08-17-2020 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-17-2020, 02:47 PM

That is really cool …………. a private island there !!!! Looks sketchy getting in there without white knuckling.