Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-12-2020, 10:46 PM

Default Hunting with Kids

Hi, I'm new to the forum and to the province.

I will be hunting for the first time in 30+ years this fall, with my 14 year old. He will obviously have his hunters ed and license (Upland only), but no CFSC or PAL. I'll have various tags in my pocket.

Question is, can we both be armed, or can we only carry 1 firearm between the 2 of us? I ask because my understanding is that was the rule in ON, where we recently moved from.

I can't find a clear answer in any legs or regs.

Thanks in advance!

Shane
Old 08-12-2020, 11:27 PM

He cannot carry any weapons until he has a firearms license and Cannot carry any hunting gear unless you have a host license and add his name,you have the option of adding two people, as long as he’s over 12 you can take him along.Have fun hunting and don’t hesitate contacting AHEA to conform this information ,it’s just a call
Old 08-13-2020, 12:17 AM

Last edited by huntinstuff; 08-13-2020 at 12:41 AM.
Old 08-13-2020, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronpereira View Post
He cannot carry any weapons until he has a firearms license and Cannot carry any hunting gear unless you have a host license and add his name,you have the option of adding two people, as long as he’s over 12 you can take him along.Have fun hunting and don’t hesitate contacting AHEA to conform this information ,it’s just a call

Mr. aaronpereira

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Mr Sleve031,

Your son can carry a firearm if YOU have a valid PAL,
AND if you are with him at a distance that allows you to take IMMEDIATE control of the firearm.

That means he is ALWAYS within arms length of you at all times that he possesses a firearm.

Welcome back to hunting!
Old 08-13-2020, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronpereira View Post
Please do some homework, or just quit posting, everything you just posted is 100% incorrect.

If the youth is properly licensed to hunt, having completed hunter Ed, they can partake and even use a firearm, as long as a valid holder of a PAL maintains direct and immediate control upon the youth hunter. The PAL holder doesn’t even need to hold a hunting licence!

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 08-13-2020 at 03:18 AM.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:39 AM

Like others have stated you can both carry a firearm. The youth just has to be under your direct supervision which I assume is your plan anyway.

Ignore the first response in is completely incorrect
Old 08-13-2020, 09:28 AM

Default Hunting with Kids

Thanks gents, for the peace of mind. That's one reg I am happy to leave behind.
Old 08-13-2020, 10:08 AM

I hunted with both daughters for three years you want them close to help them out not only making sure of wright animal . When to shoot and where . Also to teach them if you miss where does that bullet go . You will have the best time of your life even if you get nothing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk