Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-03-2016, 10:08 AM

Default Traditional muzzle loader

Few weeks back I asked for some advice regarding black powder, lots of members helped me out so thanks again. So since then I have been doing a lot of playing with the guns I own, but now want to move up a notch and find a good hunting gun. So a few questions if you guys don't mind.
1. Where in Canada can a guy buy a good BP gun, willing to spend $1000.00 or so on it maybe more if needed. Seems state side has many outlets but not much up here.

2. What make, model should I look for? All my others are percussion , but I thinking I might go Flint this time.

3. Also thinking I might go 54 Cal?

I'd like to take on deer, moose and elk. Over the last number of years I have started to get bored with the high power gun and scope style hunting. Getting to the point I go on the hunting trips but find the passion to hunt has gone. I guess 40 years of same old, and getting lucky enough to have taken lots of animals has stalled the chase in me. Anyway thanks again for your attention, and feel free to add any other info I have not asked.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:42 AM

If you want to buy new, Bilozir Fine Guns can order in anything from Pedersoli. Check out the Pedersoli lineup, they make some very nice guns.

Other than that there are plenty of good used guns around, I shoot a TC Hawken that I picked up for $350 a couple years ago and its a very well made gun. Being a big fan of the Lyman peep sight though I would probably go with a Lyman gun, since they make a sight that is a direct bolt on for their guns. I have one on my TC but I had to drill another hole in the tang to make it work. Their Great Planes Rifle, though a bit heavyer than a lot of guns, is nice because you can still get slow and fast twist barrels for them.

If you want to use round balls on the bigger species then I think the .54 is a good choice. If you plan on using Maxiballs for hunting animals like moose the .50 is plenty and its easyer to find bullets for.

I think if one was to purchase a Lyman GPR in .54 with a slow twist barrel, and then pick up a .50 cal fast twist barrel for shooting conicals it would be a pretty slick setup.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:59 AM

Cabela's in Edmonton actually has a pretty good selection of tradional muzzle loaders. Wholesale North is where I got my last one, my wife bought it for me for my birthday, LH percussion 50 Cal Lyman Deerslayer.

You need to decide if you are going to go true old school, Percussion or flintlock good to about 125 yards or the modern 209 primed scopeable ML capable of 300 yard shots.

For ML I like old school and the 54 is a perfect calibre for all large game in Alberta. Download it and you can shoot rabbit with it too.

I have 32, 50 54 and 62. All except the 50 are LH Flintlocks. With Flint you have to use real Black powder. With the percussion you can use the substitutes like Pyrodex if you want.

Sherwood Park Fish and Game has a great black powder round ball shooting facility with range, walking trail etc. They also sponsor a couple of BP shoots a year that are open to non-members. Lots of great people and all kinds of fun.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:03 AM

If you are thinking patched round ball, then .54 is a good choice. Let's just say that at 115 yards, a .54 RB doesn't have a lot of energy left; it does the job admirably when put in the right spot, but there is not much room for error.

Ball clipped a rib on entry, passed through both lungs, and came to rest between two ribs on the far side, just barely into the meat. If I had centred a shoulder at that range (which is so easy to do on elk), I doubt the situation would have turned out well at all.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:21 PM

A guy over at CGN had several beautiful flintlocks up for around $1200 about a week ago. Looked like high quality custom builds.

I can see going this way myself someday. Looks fun and rewarding.

Good luck in your search
Old 06-03-2016, 07:55 PM

I have a T/C Renegade flintlock in .54 and hoping to try it out soon.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:26 PM

Marstar has a good selection in Pedersoli's . I like the 54 and love flinters. It is worth getting a mold and casting your own round ball, and mini, maxi. with the 1/48 twist you will be able to shoot anything Just remember that there are not long range guns, that is why they are so good at putting the hunt back into hunting.
I limit myself to 70 yards, but 100 should be the max unless you are willing to accept some bad results from time to time if things don't work out.

The best advice I have is use real Black powder, and real flints , and clean with hot water.
Run a damp patch between shots and pick the vent hoe between shots.

There are often good deals on Investarms guns from Italy. Investarms builds the lyman's, and stamps them as lyman. They often show up with the name Churchill, and safari arm. same guns, just different lettering.
Buying new with your budget I would go Pedersoli . They are very well made. CGN is a good place to shop used.
Buying used the main thing is the condition of the bore!! Get pictures.

The 54 is my favorite cal , and I also like the 58. and the 50's.
Pete
Old 06-03-2016, 08:44 PM

I think someone on here was selling a traditions 50 that looked pretty nice, but I already have a .50 :/

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 01-24-2018, 11:56 AM

Google, shooters choice Ontario. They have several Pedersoli muzzleloading rifles in stock including pistols. Their prices are lower than Marstar.